• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Big West, Studio Nue, Harmony Gold Agree to Global Distribution of Macross, Robotech

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ggultra2764
Subscriber

PostPosted: Thu Apr 08, 2021 7:35 pm Reply with quote
So it sounds like through this, this means later Macross installments like Seven, Zero, and Frontier are finally coming stateside legally?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Engineering Nerd

PostPosted: Thu Apr 08, 2021 7:40 pm Reply with quote
Oh my goodness, this is BIG!!! Macross is finally accessible in North America!!! Although I do have to wonder if the demand is still there, but at least I will get it day one once it becomes available!
Aresef

PostPosted: Thu Apr 08, 2021 7:43 pm Reply with quote
This is a huge deal.
Key

PostPosted: Thu Apr 08, 2021 7:46 pm Reply with quote
Aresef wrote:
This is a huge deal.

Agreed. I'd especially welcome Macross Zero and Macross Frontier finally becoming available, despite their age and even if available subbed-only.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
halo

PostPosted: Thu Apr 08, 2021 7:46 pm Reply with quote
This is huge... provided that all parties can act like adults. The agreement to "not oppose" each other sounds like very thin ice to me. Fingers crossed here.
JoelBurger

PostPosted: Thu Apr 08, 2021 7:49 pm Reply with quote
For once I can appreciate Hollywood's obsession with regurgitating old nostalgic 80s licenses. Because I have a feeling none of this would've happened in not for the live-action Robotech Sony is developing, and not wanting to face any issues with its production and distribution.
FlamingFirewire

PostPosted: Thu Apr 08, 2021 7:50 pm Reply with quote
Wow! Any movement on this legal back and forth is hard to believe - really hope this leads to some quality blu ray releases of all Macross series on blu ray & some actual availability of stuff like Frontier via streaming too.

Lots to look forward to I hope!
Lowlife187

PostPosted: Thu Apr 08, 2021 8:03 pm Reply with quote
Hell has literally frozen over everyone! I can not believe this has been done. I can't wait for an english sub of DYRL, Frontier, etc. Heck I'd even watch 7 again!!!

The gods have looked down from there heavens and the word was "Deculture!"
Heishi

PostPosted: Thu Apr 08, 2021 8:03 pm Reply with quote
I guess Harmony Gold isn’t so scummy after all...
invalidname
Contributor

PostPosted: Thu Apr 08, 2021 8:04 pm Reply with quote
I’m still amused as heck that Harmony Gold thinks a Robotech live-action film is ever going to happen. Was that seriously what they’ve been holding out for this whole time?
Zhou-BR

PostPosted: Thu Apr 08, 2021 8:10 pm Reply with quote
I can't believe sanity prevailed and these companies actually want to make money with the Macross franchise in the West. I just hope Funimation (assuming Sony's deal with Harmony Gold will ensure them the distribution rights) gives each title in the franchise a luxurious release with a translated booklet and as many extras as possible.
Kicksville

PostPosted: Thu Apr 08, 2021 8:13 pm Reply with quote
Admittedly I'm kind of curious what "most" leaves out, or if it's anything that matters. But as long as we get all of Macross 7, I'm happy.
Redbeard 101
Oscar the Grouch
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Thu Apr 08, 2021 8:16 pm Reply with quote
Call me cynical but I am waiting for the other shoe to drop here. Given HG's track record of not giving a shit about fans with this IP I cannot help but wonder what is the other half of this equation we're not getting just yet. I suppose I'll believe it when I actually see it.
Ggultra2764
Subscriber

PostPosted: Thu Apr 08, 2021 8:16 pm Reply with quote
invalidname wrote:
I’m still amused as heck that Harmony Gold thinks a Robotech live-action film is ever going to happen. Was that seriously what they’ve been holding out for this whole time?

That, and a number of other projects like comic books, trading card games, and a number of cancelled film and TV projects.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
snake-eyes

PostPosted: Thu Apr 08, 2021 8:26 pm Reply with quote
WOW! Finally! I just hope to see Super Dimension Fortress Macross in blu ray, along with Macross Do You Remember Love and Macross 2012. I know Rick and Lisa Hayes became Married in Robotech II, but did it happen in Macross, with Misa and ( I cannot remember Rick’s name in Super Dimension Fortress Macross? This is Awesome News!
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 1 of 7