• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: HIDIVE Streams BanG Dream! FILM LIVE Anime Film

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
invalidname
Contributor

PostPosted: Sat Apr 10, 2021 5:12 am Reply with quote
So I watched my Blu-Ray of this last night, and one thing that’s not always real clear about BanG Dream! FILM LIVE from its descriptions is that this is straight-up a concert movie. There is no plot. The big five bands, in their anime form, perform three or four songs each, with some introduction and banter between songs, and then there are a few encores and farewells.

Given the fact that BanG Dream! has some pretty great music and the fans are into these bands, it’s probably exactly what fans of the franchise want. In particular, it was nice to spend some time with Afterglow, Pastel*Palettes, and Hello Happy World!, after those three bands were shoved to the sidelines by the plot of season 3 of the anime, which focused heavily on sixth band Raise A Suilen, and their interactions with Poppin’ Party and Roselia.

One thing I’ve never understood is why Western licensors seem so averse to bringing out anime-themed live concert movies here. Aside from this, about the only other concert movie to ever come out on physical media here was the Hatsune Miku Mikuopolis event from Anime Expo like a decade ago. We’ve seen some theatrical “delayed live” screenings of Love Live! and BanG Dream! concerts here featuring the real-life groups (personally, I went and saw the Aqours “Happy Party Train” event, as well as Roselia’s “Vier” and the Roselia / Raise a Suilen “Rausch and Craziness” screenings), but none of those ever got physical or streaming releases. I wonder if the licensing it just more difficult or expensive, because given how much extremely marginal TV anime somehow merits a Blu-Ray release, it’s hard to imagine the loyal Love Live! and BanG Dream! fanbases wouldn’t be down for some concert discs. Maybe HIDIVE should try licensing some live Poppin’ Party and Roselia concert videos and see what happens.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1