• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Yu Muraoka's Mō Ippon! High School Judo Manga Gets Anime

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Punch Drunk Marc

PostPosted: Wed Jul 07, 2021 10:59 am Reply with quote
An anime about girls judo? Color me intrigued.
Ashen Phoenix

PostPosted: Wed Jul 07, 2021 12:19 pm Reply with quote
Well, I'm cautiously optimistic.
Dian Z

PostPosted: Wed Jul 07, 2021 8:07 pm Reply with quote
I wondef if this is another 'CGDCT but' title, this time with Judo. If so then I'm in. Also this could be a treat if the judo parts are nicely animated.
Blortle

PostPosted: Wed Jul 07, 2021 10:05 pm Reply with quote
Dian Z wrote:
I wondef if this is another 'CGDCT but' title, this time with Judo. If so then I'm in. Also this could be a treat if the judo parts are nicely animated.

As someone who reads and loves the manga I can tell you that it's definitely not CGDCT. I mean there's plenty of cute friendship and bonding moments and some SoL chapters but once the tournaments start up (which is within the first 10 chapters) it definitely leans more towards being serious about its subject matter than the club being a loose way to show girls goofing off. That said I think once it gets to the main characters against their first rivals in the first tournament, that's when the series really gets good.

The animation is my biggest worry. The art for the series is absolutely gorgeous (sidenote: Shuzo Oshimi started out as an assistant of Yuu Muraoka) and it'd be a shame if the animation and visuals got downgraded to slideshow quality or worse, CGI.

It's an excellent series and I really hope the anime is able to do it justice and bring interest to it.
taishou*

PostPosted: Wed Jul 07, 2021 10:19 pm Reply with quote
I'm excited for this. I hope it turns out well.
Dian Z

PostPosted: Thu Jul 08, 2021 1:05 am Reply with quote
Blortle wrote:
Dian Z wrote:

As someone who reads and loves the manga I can tell you that it's definitely not CGDCT. I mean there's plenty of cute friendship and bonding moments and some SoL chapters but once the tournaments start up (which is within the first 10 chapters) it definitely leans more towards being serious about its subject matter than the club being a loose way to show girls goofing off. That said I think once it gets to the main characters against their first rivals in the first tournament, that's when the series really gets good.

That sounds good too. Nice to know what to expect.
SHD

PostPosted: Thu Jul 08, 2021 5:47 am Reply with quote
This is not my cup of tea, but with each one of these shows (that Girls Climb show, now Girls Do Judo...) I hope we get closer and closer to an anime adaptation of Teppuu, and that would be a dream come true for me.
darkchibi07

PostPosted: Thu Jul 08, 2021 6:33 am Reply with quote
Seriously, I really hope who ever works on this gives it all the love and attention that's on par with the more popular male sports anime and not some third stringer (I'm looking at you, Cramer TV series)

SHD wrote:
This is not my cup of tea, but with each one of these shows (that Girls Climb show, now Girls Do Judo...) I hope we get closer and closer to an anime adaptation of Teppuu, and that would be a dream come true for me.

You'd think we have a macho female fighting anime adaptation for Netflix at this point considering the number of macho masculine fighting anime series that's been increasing on that platform.
Blanchimont

PostPosted: Thu Jul 08, 2021 10:53 am Reply with quote
Now I'm waiting when the 'Medalist' will get an anime announcement. This and that are the only sports manga I'm following...
illustrata

PostPosted: Fri Jul 23, 2021 8:55 pm Reply with quote
darkchibi07 wrote:
Seriously, I really hope who ever works on this gives it all the love and attention that's on par with the more popular male sports anime and not some third stringer (I'm looking at you, Cramer TV series)

This. I’m still salty over Cramer, a solid spokon, when shows like Free/sk8 got really good production values.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1