• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Best Anime Dubs You Can Watch RIGHT NOW (Part 3)

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Divineking

PostPosted: Sat Jul 10, 2021 11:20 am Reply with quote
These are all some really solid choices. Froob in particular has been fantastic through its whole run and speaking as someone who never saw the original series, I was really impressed at just how well all the actors both old and new felt like they'd been voicing these characters for ages and did a great job portraying all the emotional abuse and turmoil they went through. And yeah I was especially impressed with Colleen's Akito. Easily my new favorite role of hers which given her resume is saying a lot.

Out of some of the more RECENT recent stuff, Vivy and 86 have both been off to a great start though I do kinda wish they had dubbed the songs in Vivy. Maybe they'll do it for the home video release.
MFrontier

PostPosted: Sat Jul 10, 2021 11:33 am Reply with quote
Divineking wrote:
Out of some of the more RECENT recent stuff, Vivy and 86 have both been off to a great start though I do kinda wish they had dubbed the songs in Vivy. Maybe they'll do it for the home video release.

I know Kayli Mills, who is adapting the Vivy scripts, has had a history of adapting songs into English, although I feel like that's probably up to Aniplex.

Also, speaking of 86, props to the English VA's for pulling off that moment so well.
KitKat1721

PostPosted: Sun Jul 11, 2021 1:44 am Reply with quote
Ooh YES, so many good ones included here! I've long sang the praises of Fruits Basket's dub on ANN (and I've also long said its biggest, probably only, detriment is the weird use of honorifics that 99% of the time are not needed at all), but Caitlin Glass and her team really poured their heart and soul into that show and it shows. None of the returning actors are just doing an easy, soft reset of their 2001 take. From what you said about Laura Bailey and John Bergmeier, to Eric Vale's Yuki gradually becoming less whisper-y as he branches out in S2, heck even Chris Sabat's Ayame can actually tone it down a bit when needed haha). All the new characters feel perfectly cast, although I think Cherami Leigh was directed to be a little bit too annoying as Kimi sometimes, and since you mentioned Aaron Dismuke, Jad Saxton, & Elizabeth Maxwell - I'll give a special shout-out to Brina Palencia (Rin) and Ian Sinclair (Kureno). Both of them did some amazing work in their big moments.

The script also is a huge step up from the more stilted, generic subs where sometimes it feels like individual characters barely have their own unique voice. Regarding Colleen's portrayal as Akito, I'd go as far to say its my all-time favorite performance of hers by the time the climax of S3 goes down. And given how difficult that role could be and how many great performances she's turned in over the years, that's saying a lot. While its definitely a beloved show, I feel like Fruits Basket doesn't get a ton of attention from critics, so I'm glad someone's not only discussing it, but discussing a specific part of the show that made it special for a lot of people.

While I haven't seen enough of To Your Eternity's dub (and couldn't really stick with Eden's due to the ADR distractions mentioned), Wonder Egg Priority and Megalobox: NOMAD's dubs have also been really fantastic! Many of the performances on both of those shows feel so raw (esp with Wonder Egg), and at least one role, if not two or three, from each make up some of my favorites of the year. I think literally my only gripe with Megalobox's dub was Jalitza Delgado as Mara, who I think sounds distractingly young for the mother of a teenager. Everything else has been pitch perfect, and I'm glad such a beautiful show gets this kind of dub to match.

As for unmentioned dubs... I'm not what else I can mention that's already been talked about in a previous video (like Mars Red), or isn't quite far enough along to make a good call (SSSS.Dynazenon) haha. I will say I LOVE the two leads for Shadows House's dub, but the supporting cast can be a tiny bit hit or miss. Still worth checking out if the show sounds interesting and you prefer dubs, but overall comes off a bit standard. Higurashi's new dub can also a bit hit or miss for me, although out of everyone: Brittany Lauda's Satoko is hands down the highlight of the show. The range she shows from lil' gremlin in the earliest arcs to everything in the last one is just so good, and it needs more recognition.
Brian of SummaeStudios

PostPosted: Sun Jul 11, 2021 1:59 pm Reply with quote
I'd love to find "Best Anime Dubs You Can Watch RIGHT NOW (Part 2)", but a search on your site comes up with nothing on the first few pages of results. Searching for "Best Anime Dubs You Can Watch RIGHT NOW" brought up "Best Anime Dubs You Can Watch RIGHT NOW (Spring 2021) which I'm guessing is Part 1. Having links to the other articles in the series would be convenient. Wink
Key

PostPosted: Sun Jul 11, 2021 3:26 pm Reply with quote
^
What's confusing you is that the name of the feature has evolved a bit since its inception, and the first installment wasn't called Part 1.

This entry, subtitled Spring 2021, is Part 2.

This entry, from back in March, would technically be Part 1.

As for this installment's content, I agree both that Furuba's English dub was a major winner and that Clinkenbeard's performance as Akito was a highlight. (I wouldn't say it's her most memorable role, however. That will always be Eclair for me.) I also agree with other posters that strong dubs of Spring season titles can't be discussed without bringing up 86, which through four episodes is hitting a home run on both casting and performances. There's also the added bonus that not having to pay attention to the subtitles allows catching additional visual details that I missed on previous views.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1