• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Sentai Filmworks Reveals Vinland Saga Anime's English Dub Cast

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
LegitPancake

PostPosted: Fri Jul 23, 2021 1:50 pm Reply with quote
So I see the encyclopedia has been updated to show that Netflix has commissioned a VSI Los Angeles dub (currently only streamable on Netflix in Japan). We gonna get an article on that?
MarshalBanana

PostPosted: Fri Jul 23, 2021 2:06 pm Reply with quote
Is this a clever power move on netflixs part? If they acquire season 2 next year, it will be weird season 1 not being available there to stream nor the dub. So they get it out on their service in the only place they can, and also dub it before Sentai announce their cast. So now they've got season 1 with a dub, and can get season 2 next year and then just wait until Amazon looses the license then just make it available outside Japan. Leaving the Sentai dub as just a side option that's not really worth it as Season 2 has a different cast, unless they do what they did with hero mask and get the home video release for that. It really has taken the wind out of their sails given how they have built it up over the months.

Or I'm wrong and Funimation, or maybe even Sentai, get season 2 and we all forget about that odd Netflix one.

Last edited by MarshalBanana on Fri Jul 23, 2021 2:43 pm; edited 1 time in total
merr

PostPosted: Fri Jul 23, 2021 2:07 pm Reply with quote
Why does VSI get all the awkward sloppy seconds dubs? Evangelion, Sound Euphonium, Sailor Moon, and now this.
MarshalBanana

PostPosted: Fri Jul 23, 2021 2:41 pm Reply with quote
Sentai Dub
Never heard of Thorfinns VA before. Jason Douglas as Thor sounds perfect. Not sure about David Wald as Askeladd, that's a performance that's hard to follow given the talent from the original JP VA. While very unlikely, I would have liked to have heard Christopher Sabat as it wouldn't be imposible. It would have been very uninspired casting, but Luci Christian as Young Thorfinn than Shannon Emerick. Shannon plays boys, and to a degree women, rather restrained and isn't great with emoting heavily. Josh Grelle as Prince Canute is funny as I thought he would play Thorfinn. Never heard of Joe Daniels so no idea how he will sound.

The clip they have is of no help, sure John Gremillion sounds good as Halfdan, but it's such a minor character that it doesn't matter. And no one of importance is heard.

Jessica Boone, even if it is a minor character, is a surprise as I thought she lived in Europe.

Netflix Dub
Very mixed from the clips out there, Kirk Thornton is hands down the best of them, his Askalad is almost as good as the original. On the opposite hand you have Patrick Seitz, and his mediocre performance as Thorkell. Others seem to fit into a bit of a middle ground, with Griffin Burns sounding fitting in his voice(at least for how he sounds when he becomes confident later on), but just OK with his acting.
KitKat1721

PostPosted: Fri Jul 23, 2021 2:42 pm Reply with quote
I'm assuming this is from a press release which is why the article doesn't mention the whole VSI Netflix dub thing too (not to mention the Netflix stuff was mostly from leaked screenshots anyway and not officially announced) but ooh boy, what a weird situation. We've had Netflix re-casts before, but its usually been way after the fact (Hero Mask, Baki) or not meant for North American audiences and following such an established cast that no one even bats an eye (Bang Zoom's DBZ dub). And definitely not both being produced at the same time.

So to summarize:
- Sentai announces they’ll be releasing a blu-ray + dub for Vinland Saga months ago

- Netflix quietly picks up the show for streaming (not in North America though because Amazon still has the streaming rights) and dubs it separately on their own around the same time or after the fact

- People take screenshots of the Netflix cast before its announced + the DAY before Sentai announces their own cast for the blu-ray

Who even knows which versions will be available where (will Netflix stream worldwide or just in certain territories? Will Sentai’s only be available on the blu-ray and nowhere else? Etc…)

or whether the creative teams involved knew about it?

I'm just waiting for Season 2 to inevitably get picked up/dubbed by Netflix (assuming Amazon doesn’t care about licensing anymore), along with the usual 3+ month wait, and later down the line Sentai eventually releases S2 on blu-ray and re-dubs the entire season with their cast instead. Oy vey

I do feel kind of bad for the casts because you know their performances are just going to get compared to death on like, such a nitpick-y level (comparing one 15-sec screaming scene to the other's and declaring one actor better than the other based entirely on that alone). That or one dub completely fades into obscurity due to any number of reasons outside of merit (like streaming availability).
MFrontier

PostPosted: Fri Jul 23, 2021 2:46 pm Reply with quote
This is a really weird dubbing situation.

So Netflix looks like it's going to obtain the full streaming rights for Vinland Saga from Amazon (probably including season 2 when it comes out) with an LA dub, while Sentai looks like they'll be obtaining the home video rights with their own dub of the series.

I mean, both casts seem good, but it just feels kind of ridiculous and not fair to the casts and crew that they're indirectly competing like this and probably likely to constantly be compared to each other.
thekingsdinner

PostPosted: Fri Jul 23, 2021 2:48 pm Reply with quote
KitKat1721 wrote:
I'm assuming this is from a press release which is why the article doesn't mention the whole VSI Netflix dub thing too (not to mention the Netflix stuff was mostly from leaked screenshots anyway and not officially announced) but ooh boy, what a weird situation. We've had Netflix re-casts before, but its usually been way after the fact (Hero Mask, Baki) or not meant for North American audiences and following such an established cast that no one even bats an eye (Bang Zoom's DBZ dub). And definitely not both being produced at the same time.

So to summarize:
- Sentai announces they’ll be releasing a blu-ray + dub for Vinland Saga months ago

- Netflix quietly picks up the show for streaming (not in North America though because Amazon still has the streaming rights) and dubs it separately on their own around the same time or after the fact

- People take screenshots of the Netflix cast before its announced + the DAY before Sentai announces their own cast for the blu-ray

Who even knows which versions will be available where (will Netflix stream worldwide or just in certain territories? Will Sentai’s only be available on the blu-ray and nowhere else? Etc…)

or whether the creative teams involved knew about it?

I'm just waiting for Season 2 to inevitably get picked up/dubbed by Netflix (assuming Amazon doesn’t care about licensing anymore), along with the usual 3+ month wait, and later down the line Sentai eventually releases S2 on blu-ray and re-dubs the entire season with their cast instead. Oy vey

I do feel kind of bad for the casts because you know their performances are just going to get compared to death on like, such a nitpick-y level (comparing one 15-sec screaming scene to the other's and declaring one actor better than the other based entirely on that alone). That or one dub completely fades into obscurity due to any number of reasons outside of merit (like streaming availability).
I just found out a few hours ago Netflix dubbed this show too and was really wondering why. It's just so bizzare to see two dubs of the same show only a month apart from releasing.

Oh well, I'm gonna buy the Blu-ray anyway so I'll watch Sentai's dub.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Levonr

PostPosted: Fri Jul 23, 2021 2:58 pm Reply with quote
I'm liking the LA dub, to me their much more consistent in quality than Sentai but that dub seems good as well looking at the cast. Why did Sentai show a clip that doesn't even have any of the main characters?
chronium

PostPosted: Fri Jul 23, 2021 3:19 pm Reply with quote
It probably just came down to neither company wanted to license someone else's dub. It's been a little over 2 years now since the show was released so Amazon's license should be running out for it to go somewhere else.
RockSplash

PostPosted: Fri Jul 23, 2021 4:17 pm Reply with quote
chronium wrote:
It probably just came down to neither company wanted to license someone else's dub. It's been a little over 2 years now since the show was released so Amazon's license should be running out for it to go somewhere else.

Still praying for re; creators to finally get dubbed by somebody. I do hope Banana Fish also gets dubbed.
bagman

PostPosted: Fri Jul 23, 2021 8:13 pm Reply with quote
RockSplash wrote:
chronium wrote:

Still praying for re; creators to finally get dubbed by somebody. I do hope Banana Fish also gets dubbed.

as much as i love VS it's ridiculous to me that it's gotten 2 dubs before BF, which came out a year prior
prime_pm

PostPosted: Fri Jul 23, 2021 10:50 pm Reply with quote
I see no attempts at accents not that I expected much of any. Mixed feelings.
RedSwirl

PostPosted: Sat Jul 24, 2021 10:38 am Reply with quote
I guess that's two opportunities to see how they handle the different languages in the dialogue, if they try to do anything with that at all.
MFrontier

PostPosted: Sat Jul 24, 2021 12:18 pm Reply with quote
Levonr wrote:
I'm liking the LA dub, to me their much more consistent in quality than Sentai but that dub seems good as well looking at the cast. Why did Sentai show a clip that doesn't even have any of the main characters?

I guess it sets the tone for the series well enough.
Gemnist

PostPosted: Sun Jul 25, 2021 2:22 pm Reply with quote
I guess I'll hold off on the dub until I see how America handles Season 2. By then we'll know which dub is the "main" one. Alternatively, are there any plans to release the Netflix dub outside of Japan? (if not, I'll stick with Sentai).
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2