• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Parrot Analytics: Global Anime Consumption Has Nearly Doubled Since 2017

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
cookiemanstah

PostPosted: Thu Aug 26, 2021 1:18 pm Reply with quote
Terrible news for the most part. Further saturation in an already stressed industry is never a good sign.

Is it a stretch to say when anime wasn’t globally popular, they took more risks with IPs? This was a medium that once thought adapting Narutaru would be harmless.
Tempest
I Run this place.
ANN Publisher

PostPosted: Thu Aug 26, 2021 1:43 pm Reply with quote
cookiemanstah wrote:
Terrible news for the most part. Further saturation in an already stressed industry is never a good sign.
Agreed.

While I agree with the statement that the industry isn't meeting demand, I don't agree with the author's suggestion that quantity is the solution, and I hope decision makers in the anime industry don't read that report and come to the conclusion that more anime is needed.

The industry doesn't need more anime titles. I'd say we already have too many. The problem is that the bottom-end of the industry is creating titles on the cheap that are guaranteed to appeal to a small segment of the market, and only that segment.

Rather than working animators to the bones making more cheap anime, the best way for the medium to grow would be to invest in more high-quality anime that will reach larger audiences.

More cheap anime will just get each anime title a smaller piece of the same pie, with less money for animators.

More good anime, even if it means less anime total, will help make the pie grow, and bring in more money for animators and companies, as well as better working conditions for animators.
juaifan

PostPosted: Thu Aug 26, 2021 2:09 pm Reply with quote
?? What do people mean by "just make good anime'? Do people think studios make bad anime on purpose? (Maybe Ex-Arms...)
thekingsdinner

PostPosted: Thu Aug 26, 2021 2:31 pm Reply with quote
Demand for even more shows? We're already getting bombarded with around 40 shows each season. I'm already having trouble keeping up with 6 these days lol.

Please don't be digging your own grave, anime industry.

Last edited by thekingsdinner on Thu Aug 26, 2021 3:17 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
xxmsxx

PostPosted: Thu Aug 26, 2021 3:07 pm Reply with quote
You bet the senior leadership will use this kind of stuff to justify making even more mediocre boilerplate anime per season. Next thing we know, we will get 80 shows per season instead of the 40-50 shows right now.

The only thing would be just some animators getting some good old karoshi, no big deal right Sad
AmpersandsUnited

PostPosted: Thu Aug 26, 2021 3:14 pm Reply with quote
The most surprising thing to me was Hulu being bigger than Netflix for anime. I've never even touched Hulu so I have no idea what their catalog is like.
Hoppy800

PostPosted: Thu Aug 26, 2021 3:26 pm Reply with quote
While I like the projections about employee conditions, everything else is red flag central. It means more crappy bottom of the barrel isekai and piss poor, mostly all bad CG Netflix adaptations also more EX-ARMS to meet demand, or worse anime 100% specifically geared towards westerners, which will turn out bad.
Jose Cruz

PostPosted: Thu Aug 26, 2021 4:08 pm Reply with quote
AmpersandsUnited wrote:
The most surprising thing to me was Hulu being bigger than Netflix for anime.

They have more anime titles while Netflix is bigger. So fewer people use Hulu but more use it for anime.

Quote:
I've never even touched Hulu so I have no idea what their catalog is like.

They have a better catalog than Netflix or Amazon.

I was wondering if their information of viewing shares was regarding anime or all services. So, Disney has anime too, what do they have? Ghilbi?

Its great anime consumption doubled globally since 2017, although I am not sure how they measured that (did they measure it by streaming volume? well, streaming has probably doubled since 2017 as well, specially given how much more time people are spending at home now).

I think its great mainstream streaming services like amazon, hulu and netflix air anime. Back in 2010, cable companies didn't have anime specific channels, but apparently more people are willing to consume anime than they expected. I guess that streaming, by allowing the audience to choose what to consume, allows more niche content like anime to find its potential audience and that is awesome.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
BonusStage

PostPosted: Thu Aug 26, 2021 4:56 pm Reply with quote
I guess I'm not as pessimistic as other people and think this is a good thing overall. If people don't like certain anime they don't have to watch them, but I would much rather we have too much anime than not enough. I do not want to go back to the time where we only had a dozen or so new shows a year like we did back in the 90s.
MagicPolly

PostPosted: Thu Aug 26, 2021 5:56 pm Reply with quote
Consumption going up is fine, it's production going up thats the issue. The Kadokawa announcement of 40 anime a year still scares me.
DerekL1963
Subscriber

PostPosted: Thu Aug 26, 2021 7:56 pm Reply with quote
AmpersandsUnited wrote:
The most surprising thing to me was Hulu being bigger than Netflix for anime. I've never even touched Hulu so I have no idea what their catalog is like.

Seems to me that paragraph is more about total viewership rather than anime viewership. Because otherwise, it's kinda suspect because Disney+ has no anime and HBO Max (who doesn't appear in the quoted numbers) has the Ghibli catalog as well as a number of other anime.
Redbeard 101
Oscar the Grouch
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Thu Aug 26, 2021 8:58 pm Reply with quote
Tempest wrote:

More good anime, even if it means less anime total, will help make the pie grow, and bring in more money for animators and companies, as well as better working conditions for animators.

I agree. I would go one step further though. People need to stop tuning into the streams of these mediocre anime. We have how many isekai each season for example? As long as people keep tuning in to every lowest common denominator show they'll keep making them, regardless if it's isekai or not. The studios need to make better decisions and start focusing on quality over quantity. The problem is unless viewers hold their feet to the fire and don't watch the mediocre stuff they will just keep going as they are now.
Touma55

PostPosted: Thu Aug 26, 2021 9:41 pm Reply with quote
Redbeard 101 wrote:
Tempest wrote:

I agree. I would go one step further though. People need to stop tuning into the streams of these mediocre anime. We have how many isekai each season for example? As long as people keep tuning in to every lowest common denominator show they'll keep making them, regardless if it's isekai or not. The studios need to make better decisions and start focusing on quality over quantity. The problem is unless viewers hold their feet to the fire and don't watch the mediocre stuff they will just keep going as they are now.

Who decides what is mediocre? Not everybody likes the same thing, so I really don't see how that would work. You my hate a certain isekai while someone else might love it. It sounds like you are saying people shouldn't watch what they want, but should instead watch what everyone else says is good. That is absolutely ridiculous imo if that is what you are saying.
Tripple-A

PostPosted: Thu Aug 26, 2021 9:49 pm Reply with quote
Touma55 wrote:

Who decides what is mediocre? Not everybody likes the same thing, so I really don't see how that would work. You my hate a certain isekai while someone else might love it. It sounds like you are saying people shouldn't watch what they want, but should instead watch what everyone else says is good. That is absolutely ridiculous imo if that is what you are saying.

There are A LOT of people that watch nearly every anime each season, even if they don't particularly like it, you just have to check how many people watch stuff that they rate really low. Sure everyone watches stuff once in a while that they don't even like, I guess most people don't like to quit and leave something unfinished, but the sheer amount of low rated stuff that some watch is astonishing.
mangamuscle

PostPosted: Thu Aug 26, 2021 10:17 pm Reply with quote
Tempest wrote:

TBT, making "good" anime is irrelevant for the powers that be (you know, the ones that pay the production costs). Making profitable anime is the name of the game. They can always make ten one cours animes in the hope that one will become popular enough to make a sequel or movie. If we are lucky, in said batch there will be something beyond whatever atm is deemed as risk free *coff* Odd Taxi *coff*. Nowadays even making two cour series is a risky proposition *coff* Blue Reflection Ray *coff* so investing in one "quality" series worth ten cours of C grade animes anime is beyond a risky proposition reserved only for tried and true franchises.

IMO the best we can hope for is that japanese animation studios see this as a window of opportunity to open new branches to unload animation workload into other countries, yes, it will take time, money and effort, but that was how companies like Nissan and Sony grew in the 20th century, the only difference is that instead of conquering new markets, they would look for cheap(er) labor to service the extra demand. I can bet that Disney alone is going to ask for a ton of new projects in the next few years.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3