• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Fate/kaleid liner Prisma Illya Anime Gets Sequel Work

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Rob19ny

PostPosted: Sun Aug 29, 2021 1:25 am Reply with quote
The summer of Illya keeps on giving. The story isn't over yet so more sequel anime announcements were expected. Glad to hear it so soon.
cookiemanstah

PostPosted: Sun Aug 29, 2021 1:57 am Reply with quote
that's great news. this is the leading ecchi anime of our times.
Psajdak

PostPosted: Sun Aug 29, 2021 1:57 am Reply with quote
Can Prisma Illya be considered one of better magical girl series?

I mean in general.

I only watched first season, and yet it feels like that spin-off went so far on its own.
cookiemanstah

PostPosted: Sun Aug 29, 2021 2:12 am Reply with quote
Psajdak wrote:
I mean in general.

it's always subjective but in the scope of what's out there like Tutu and Madoka to name some, no absolutely not.
3rdImpakt

PostPosted: Sun Aug 29, 2021 2:14 am Reply with quote
cookiemanstah wrote:

Not really since Drei started, but at least we still got merch.
cookiemanstah

PostPosted: Sun Aug 29, 2021 2:48 am Reply with quote
3rdImpakt wrote:
cookiemanstah wrote:

Not really since Drei started, but at least we still got merch.

i feel like the perception of this anime is heavily warped by how this IP had forever changed the landscape of R34 and the marketers/producers encouraging that by selling extremely lewd merchandise or unsubtle applications that joke around with the perception.

Even if they tone it down for broadcasting, there's no way they can escape this shadow. Which isn't really a bad thing, but it feels detached from the norms of a usual magical girl anime.
Touma55

PostPosted: Sun Aug 29, 2021 2:53 am Reply with quote
Psajdak wrote:

I mean in general.

I only watched first season, and yet it feels like that spin-off went so far on its own.

The manga is definitely high up there imo. The stuff later in the series is really damn good.
WANNFH

PostPosted: Sun Aug 29, 2021 3:19 am Reply with quote
Psajdak wrote:

I mean in general.

Well, the first Prisma Illya was basically one big homage to the OG Nanoha series (monsters of the week, friendly "rivalry" and basically a rehash of early NanoFate pairing relationship between Illya and Miyu), and the author never considered it being more than fanfiction. In 2wei it went further in expanding the action, characters, and world-building and become a thing of its own.

And then 3rei happened and took it all up to 11, making it one of the best stories in Nasuverse just on its own existence.
MagicPolly

PostPosted: Sun Aug 29, 2021 2:23 pm Reply with quote
I don't think it's right to still call Prisma Illya an ecchi series. While 2wei was definitely over the line, 3rei and beyond has only ever had minor ecchi elements (minor bath scenes and such). Yeah in 2wei it was much worse but 3rei is definitely not ecchi.
seiyakino

PostPosted: Sun Aug 29, 2021 3:26 pm Reply with quote
Psajdak wrote:

I mean in general.

The strong ecchi elements and the age of the characters involved (sorry, even minor bath scenes can be skeevy when we're talking about kids) make it niche at best and a turn-off at worst. I love magical girl anime and I'm even into yuri, but not for ten-year-olds. Which is how old Illya is when the series starts, and they don't progress her age that much. Note that even in the image in the article, presumably taken from promo art from the most recent season, she is young enough to be flat-chested.

This makes it honestly a bad idea to recommend it to people who like magical girl stuff in general. I did recommend it once, actually, to someone who liked the genre, because I'd just seen the first episode or two and didn't look at the reviews and didn't know where it was going. They were...not happy with me when they watched ahead. Nor was I, when I got there.
Catsplay

PostPosted: Sun Aug 29, 2021 3:29 pm Reply with quote
I mean most of the ecchi elements of Prisma Illya came from the anime and promotional material. Granted there is still loli fanservice in the manga but it's not constantly in your face and usually happens in between huge story arcs and fights.

Anyway I'm super excited to see my favorite Fate series continues being popular enough to get constant sequels adapted but considering how the latest movie adapted almost all the way up to the latest chapters makes me wonder why they're announcing a sequel already?

Maybe Hiroshi intends on the anime adapting the ending of 3rei before he gets to it or maybe they'll be working together so that the ending of the manga arc coincides with the release of a third movie? Either way I'm still hyped for more Prisma Illya. The only thing that could make me more excited at this point is seeing the manga being legally brought over to the states or a videogame getting announced.
Catsplay

PostPosted: Sun Aug 29, 2021 3:37 pm Reply with quote
seiyakino wrote:
Psajdak wrote:

I mean in general.

The strong ecchi elements and the age of the characters involved (sorry, even minor bath scenes can be skeevy when we're talking about kids) make it niche at best and a turn-off at worst. I love magical girl anime and I'm even into yuri, but not for ten-year-olds. Which is how old Illya is when the series starts, and they don't progress her age that much. Note that even in the image in the article, presumably taken from promo art from the most recent season, she is young enough to be flat-chested.

This makes it honestly a bad idea to recommend it to people who like magical girl stuff in general. I did recommend it once, actually, to someone who liked the genre, because I'd just seen the first episode or two and didn't look at the reviews and didn't know where it was going. They were...not happy with me when they watched ahead. Nor was I, when I got there.

There's other magical girl series with loli fanservice, Prisma Illya isn't the first nor the last in that regard. Also you say you're into yuri but most magical girl series involve underage girls so I really don't see the difference there.

Prisma Illya isn't really a magical girl series to begin with. Yeah the main default power set for two of the characters are "Magical Girl" powers but throughout the story they borrow the power of Heroic Spirits and mages as the conflicts escalate and the storytelling is more classic Fate as it goes on with Holy Grail Wars and despair for all.

If you recommend the third manga series (Or 4th season and movies) Prisma Illya 3rei is closer to Madoka as a dark subversion of magical girl series than it is to magical girl series in general. The fanservice is barely there in the manga and even has been lessened in the anime as well (mostly saved for OVAs and promotional artwork).
seiyakino

PostPosted: Sun Aug 29, 2021 3:50 pm Reply with quote
^

There are others with some, yes, and I'm not as fond of those either, but Fate/Kaleid specifically played it up. It was also more explicit than, say, the occasional panty shot or unnecessary silhouette or whatever. How something is done matters (the debate on whether younger characters being drawn as older makes fanservice okay or not could take up the whole thread and more). The anime version was specifically going for titillation of very particular tastes and that can make a difference to people. It certainly did (negatively) to me when they had the bathhouse episode and then I was shown the maid costume scene (ugh).

That the later stuff is not as heavy on these elements is good? But even that I hear conflicting information on. It may not stand out to you, but there are certainly reviews that mentioned the episodes where it did show up as gross. And, given that the particular comment I was referring to was talking about best magical girl anime in general, that's a dealbreaker for a lot of people. Having to say, 'well it's good if you ignore these whole chunks of episodes because of the explicit perving on underage characters throughout the various seasons while keeping up with the complex story and new characters' is, well, as I said, a niche rather than a best overall series.
Catsplay

PostPosted: Sun Aug 29, 2021 5:32 pm Reply with quote
^

Prisma Illya isn't a niche series, it's part of the Nasuverse so it gets major exposure and success in Japan (If that wasn't apparent by just how many sequels the anime has spawned). It's one of Kadokawa's and Type Moon's best selling IP in terms of merchandise sales and anime viewership in Japan. It's not marketed as a magical girl series though, it's a Fate series through and through and that's part of its success on top of how marketable Illya and the other girls are as characters (Yes loli stuff sells in Japan and it sells well).

Like I said before, it's best to not try looking at it as a Magical Girl series at all because it's really not. It's essentially a series that started out as a parody of magical girl tropes and eventually shifted into the darker story telling the original F/SN visual novel was known for.
seiyakino

PostPosted: Sun Aug 29, 2021 5:47 pm Reply with quote
^

Nasuverse is not niche, true. But Fate/Kaleid, the specific anime sub-series specifically targeting the loli niche which is by no means a universal taste, is not a general best for the magical girl genre. And if you want to say it's not marketed as a magical girl series, you might want to tell the actual marketers and developers that; the ad copy from the publisher, quoted in the article we're commenting on, specifically mentions saving 'magical girl Miyu' for this upcoming project. I would agree with a cynical claim that the anime marketing is trying to sell it more widely than the loli content is actually suitable for and that 'magical girl' isn't a good fit for it, sure, but it's literally in the publishers' current summaries.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2