• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Japan's Video Game Rankings, August 16-22

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Silver Kirin

PostPosted: Sun Aug 29, 2021 11:56 am Reply with quote
There's was nothing outstanding this week but there were some interesting happenings. Firstly, the Director's Cut of GoT sold better on PS5 than PS4,not by that much but it's the first time in a while where the PS5 version of a game also available on the PS4 moved more copies. Secondly, the combined sales of the Xbox Series consoles sold more units than the PS5 Digital Edition, Xbox's numbers are still far lower than the PS5 and Switch but Microsoft is having better sales compared with the Xbox One. Finally, RFA sales are still very good, specially for a game that requires an accesory and that can only be played on docked mode, it wouldn't surprise me if Nintendo will made a sequel in the near future for the Switch or its successor and the main character will probably be a fighter in a new Smash Bros.
Still, every week feels the same with lots of hardware and sofware being dominated by Nintendo, but we're near the realese of Tales of Arise, and even though many people have some doubts it's going to be interesting if it can become a kind of killer-app for the PS5 and if it can broke sales records for the Tales of series, Bandai Namco are pushing the game a lot, especially outside of Japan.
Hal14

PostPosted: Sun Aug 29, 2021 12:21 pm Reply with quote
Silver Kirin wrote:

Still, every week feels the same with lots of hardware and sofware being dominated by Nintendo, but we're near the realese of Tales of Arise, and even though many people have some doubts it's going to be interesting if it can become a kind of killer-app for the PS5 and if it can broke sales records for the Tales of series, Bandai Namco are pushing the game a lot, especially outside of Japan.

But isn't Arise also coming out on PC and PS4. So long as the game still comes out on PS4, I don't see how it can push sales for the PS5 by much. Personally, Arise is one of the reasons I plan on getting a PS4 soon especially since the price of the console has gone down with the release of the PS5.
Silver Kirin

PostPosted: Sun Aug 29, 2021 1:40 pm Reply with quote
HAL14 wrote:
But isn't Arise also coming out on PC and PS4. So long as the game still comes out on PS4, I don't see how it can push sales for the PS5 by much. Personally, Arise is one of the reasons I plan on getting a PS4 soon especially since the price of the console has gone down with the release of the PS5.

I know Arise is also coming on multiple platforms, but it seems like Namco is really pushing the game as a next generation title, and considering that the PS brand is very closely associated with JRPGs, maybe they want this game to be their equivalent of Final Fantasy VII or Persona 5 (in that their their previous entries were fairly well known but mainly cult classics up until the release of the new titles). But unlike Atlus did with P5, Namco at least made Arise multiplatform, that should help in selling more copies, though I suspect it'll sell more on PS. There are some people questing why Namco didn't develop a Switch version considering the massive userbase and the number of JRPGs on the system, and despite some late ports which Bandai Namco made like Jump Force and DBZ Kakarot, Arise feels like a very demanding game for the console.
Fluwm

PostPosted: Sun Aug 29, 2021 3:02 pm Reply with quote
In what world was Final Fantasy ever a "cult classic?"
Silver Kirin

PostPosted: Sun Aug 29, 2021 3:32 pm Reply with quote
Fluwm wrote:
In what world was Final Fantasy ever a "cult classic?"

I was referring to the pre-Final Fantasy VII titles, especially FF I, IV, and VI which were the only ones released outside of Japan back before 1997, they were poular and sold decenlty but not many people knew about them. When FFVII was being developed it was one the most expensive video games ever made and since it was a PSOne (which was the best selling console in the 32-bit era) exclusive title Sony gave the game an big marketing push in America and Europe, that's a reason why for so many people FFVII was their entry point in the series and sold almost 10 million copies. Now, people these days are more aware about games thanks to the Internet, but the Tales of series isn't as well know as FF, DQ or Persona, Tales of Symphonia is still the best selling title worldwide, but I'm confident that Arise may outsell it.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1