• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Sentai Filmworks Announces Kakegurui Anime's English Dub Cast

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Lenks

PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2021 1:50 am Reply with quote
A shame Sentai couldn't get the Netflix dub. I'm sure it was extremely expensive.
fuuma_monou

PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2021 2:01 am Reply with quote
Lenks wrote:
A shame Sentai couldn't get the Netflix dub. I'm sure it was extremely expensive.

Yeah. I remember Animax Asia doing their own dub of Ranma 1/2 around 2004 rather than licensing the Viz dub, probably for the same reason. Or maybe license restrictions.
ScorpionCocktail

PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2021 3:18 am Reply with quote
fuuma_monou wrote:
Lenks wrote:

Yeah. I remember Animax Asia doing their own dub of Ranma 1/2 around 2004 rather than licensing the Viz dub, probably for the same reason. Or maybe license restrictions.

Animax once got the rights for the official English dub of the first Galaxy Angel, but did their own dub for the subsequent seasons (Forte in particular was literally voiced by a man in that dub). Although afaik, they also occasionally air the official English dub of the second season.
MarshalBanana

PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2021 3:44 am Reply with quote
Who is Estelle Link?
Ak Animax

PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2021 3:45 am Reply with quote
Don't know if you agree with me Embarassed
Why Can't they bring back original voice over cast ?
And thus
Via comparing
Netflix dub sounds somehow better to

Last edited by Ak Animax on Mon Oct 25, 2021 4:25 am; edited 1 time in total
Flash xd

PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2021 3:58 am Reply with quote
I'm an avid lover of dubs and I like Sentai's dubs (not really, because I don't know which is which) but I gotta say, this one pales in comparison to the original dub. Goddamn, that trailer sounded all kinds of wrong.
enurtsol

PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2021 4:39 am Reply with quote
MarshalBanana wrote:

Who is Estelle Link?

Sounds like a pseudonym
Animegomaniac

PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2021 4:40 am Reply with quote
MarshalBanana wrote:
Who is Estelle Link?

I know the voice... Christina Kelly is great as Sao To Me; guys, you've been dubbing things for years, names should be the easy part by now... anyway, I'd thinking Yumiko is played by Serena Varghese. At least, I think so as voice and delivery match.

I'll just go with "It's an odd choice" and leave it there. I only heard this clip. The Sao Tome thing is enough of a red flag in this trailer.
corinthian

PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2021 6:29 am Reply with quote
Animegomaniac wrote:
MarshalBanana wrote:
Who is Estelle Link?

I'd thinking Yumiko is played by Serena Varghese. At least, I think so as voice and delivery match.

I thought so too. It's been a while since I've heard her.

I didn't really like the Netflix dub. The first season it felt like 4 or 5 different girls sounded like they were played by Wendee Lee, but they were all played by different people, none of whom were Wendee Lee.
TheMorry

PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2021 6:38 am Reply with quote
God, what is the point of a new dub. Is a new dub truly cheaper than using the netflix one? I can't imagine listening to another dub.
Picky33

PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2021 6:47 am Reply with quote
Estelle Link is the only person in clip that doesn't do it for me. a lot of dub actors try and grab the essence of the Japanese VA but the Estelle's voice is the complete opposite of the character or the Japanese VA, even the live action had better VA.
Greed1914

PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2021 9:57 am Reply with quote
TheMorry wrote:
God, what is the point of a new dub. Is a new dub truly cheaper than using the netflix one? I can't imagine listening to another dub.

I've at least heard that at some point after deciding to do union dubs, Netflix started charging 50% the cost for use of its dubs. It's kind of crazy to think the price gap is so wide that it's cheaper to do the whole thing over again. I'm assuming home video licenses for shows that are several years old are comparatively cheap, and there is the added value of a big streaming service getting eyes on it for them, but I wonder how much of that is offset by it not being the same as what people watched? Even if it is done well, there is something off putting about changing a cast. Even more so if the prior one was well regarded.

I'm still planning on getting the blu-rays since I've been wanting them for years now, but I think rewatching will be done via Netflix for me.
MFrontier

PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2021 10:21 am Reply with quote
I can't think of many people who wanted a Kakegurui redub, not that I begrudge the new cast or their performances or the situation they're in because of licensing costs, but while I'm always down for Christina Kelly this Estelle Link's Yumeko sounds a lot different from what I was expecting.
KitKat1721

PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2021 11:23 am Reply with quote
Yeah sorry, no dice Sentai. To be honest, even if the cast and preview clips sounded amazing (which they really don’t, especially compared to Netflix’s), I still just can’t support this release. The new dub looking pretty subpar almost makes that decision easier at least.
chrisb
Subscriber

PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2021 11:33 am Reply with quote
corinthian wrote:
Animegomaniac wrote:
MarshalBanana wrote:
Who is Estelle Link?

I'd thinking Yumiko is played by Serena Varghese. At least, I think so as voice and delivery match.

I thought so too. It's been a while since I've heard her..

Her social media shows she is active in the religious community. A pseudonym may be necessary to avoid raised eyebrows from any of her peers who do a google search.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3