• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: Seirei Gensouki - Spirit Chronicles Omnibus 1 - 3

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
andramus

PostPosted: Thu Nov 18, 2021 12:47 pm Reply with quote
I was curious if reading the novels "fixed" any of the issues you had with the anime. That is to say either made things in the anime make more sense or gave you a better idea of the direction the story was headed in.

I'd have to go back and re-read your reviews but I feel like I enjoyed the anime more than you did overall and perhaps gave it a bit more slack than you did.

Whenever I watch something that has been adapted from source material I tend to ask myself if I could have done a better job than the people doing the adaptation. I consider the logistics of things such as how much of the story you can adapt with a set amount of episodes and the difficulty of choosing an appropriate end point. Which can often lead to pacing issues with an adaptation being too rushed or too slow. There is always the option of doing an anime only ending that deviates significantly from the source material but that path closes off or at least makes continuing the adaptation in a relatively faithful fashion much more difficult.
Princess_Irene
ANN Reviewer

PostPosted: Thu Nov 18, 2021 1:17 pm Reply with quote
andramus wrote:
I was curious if reading the novels "fixed" any of the issues you had with the anime. That is to say either made things in the anime make more sense or gave you a better idea of the direction the story was headed in.

I'd have to go back and re-read your reviews but I feel like I enjoyed the anime more than you did overall and perhaps gave it a bit more slack than you did.

I think you did give it more slack than I did, but I'm definitely looking forward to season two more now that I've read these novels. Knowing that the author intended the first three books to be a prologue absolutely gave me a clearer perspective on the story, and I'm interested to see if we get that sense when the anime starts up again.
BlueAlf

PostPosted: Thu Nov 18, 2021 5:27 pm Reply with quote
Just wanted to say that as someone who has been following this series' publication on JNC from the beginning, Seirei Gensouki is that one isekai series that makes you intrigued and can't help but keep following even if you can't explain why.
Gamen

PostPosted: Thu Nov 18, 2021 7:08 pm Reply with quote
BlueAlf wrote:
Just wanted to say that as someone who has been following this series' publication on JNC from the beginning, Seirei Gensouki is that one isekai series that makes you intrigued and can't help but keep following even if you can't explain why.

Agreed; I know why I shouldn't want to keep following it: the slow-burning plot, the repetitive damsel in distress climaxes, the abrupt ending of each book with the climax's denouement postponed until the next, the only real struggle for the protagonist being how to fight with self-imposed handicaps... Yet I buy it and read it in both Japanese and English.

Bookworm should have been like that as well; little ill girl trying to make paper starting with clay tablets and papyrus? Count me out... but au contraire somehow I was drawn in as well.

Minor nitpick: Masato is Aki and Haruto's step-brother.
Melicans

PostPosted: Thu Nov 18, 2021 10:58 pm Reply with quote
I've been waiting for this review since the anime ended. It's really interesting to see how it informed your opinion of the series.

BlueAlf wrote:

I know that feeling. I think I binged the first 7 or 8 volumes in one sitting.
sadoldguy

PostPosted: Fri Nov 19, 2021 1:46 pm Reply with quote
One of the reasons that this series is so readable is that it is constantly setting up new "markers" and then making them pay off, sometimes immediately, sometimes in a few volumes and in one case the marker is set at the start of volume 4 and then pays off toward the end of volume 20.

For instance, Rio fights a LOT of Beltrum nobles in weapon vs weapon settings, including Charles Arbor in Volume 1 and multiple nobles in when saving Celia. Beltrum uses family rank over competency and "proper swordship form" over expediency, so fighting a person with decades of experience who is more worried about saving his friend over niceties when people are trying to kill him has much more opportunities to win.
nobahn
Subscriber

PostPosted: Fri Nov 04, 2022 9:50 am Reply with quote
Rebecca Silverman wrote:
yes, a few too many of them think Rio is irresistible,

Now there's a prize understatement.....
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1