• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: Pompo: The Cinéphile

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ZelosZoidberg

PostPosted: Fri Jun 25, 2021 2:14 pm Reply with quote
Where can I watch this because I can't find anything on encyclopedia.
ANN_Lynzee
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Fri Jun 25, 2021 2:27 pm Reply with quote
It's currently on the festival circuit! Its heading to Fantasia International Film Festival and hopefully will get wider distribution soon.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
ZelosZoidberg

PostPosted: Fri Jun 25, 2021 2:28 pm Reply with quote
octopodpie wrote:
It's currently on the festival circuit! Its heading to Fantasia International Film Festival and hopefully will get wider distribution soon.
Thanks!
MagicPolly

PostPosted: Fri Jun 25, 2021 2:36 pm Reply with quote
Really hope to watch this sometime soon, as a current film student it really interests me (though the way they showed Gene editing in one of the trailers, haha I wish it was that fun looking)
dm
Subscriber

PostPosted: Fri Jun 25, 2021 3:20 pm Reply with quote
The first volume of the (so far, two-volume-)manga will be out in the US on 3 August.
The Mad Manga Massacre

PostPosted: Fri Jun 25, 2021 4:26 pm Reply with quote
Gene Pixiv is back in town.
Neko-sensei

PostPosted: Fri Jun 25, 2021 9:27 pm Reply with quote
Glad you enjoyed this, too! I caught it last week, and I must say that I can't think of a better-storyboarded anime in recent memory. The match cuts just never let up, and the entire movie runs on a short-film-energy tautness that gives it the ability to do in thirty seconds what most pictures would take about two minutes to achieve. I was particularly taken with the fact that Pompo's classic (of course!) three-act structure mirrors the phases of production: the first act is preproduction, the second filming, and the third postproduction and reshoots. The fact that the climax is set in the editing room is probably the most realistic part of the film.

That said, "Nyallywood" is definitely not Hollywood. First off, reshoots seem to be an unusual thing in Nyallywood (they're just a fact of life for the vast majority of real-world productions), but more incredibly, every single person we meet is a stand-up, hardworking person who likes nothing better than to see young talent succeed. Nyallywood is the "dream factory" version of Hollywood that Pompo uses to tell a story about how dreamy Hollywood films can be, and that element of fantasy is the one that might give some people pause—current culture is so much more interested in criticizing large industries than celebrating them, after all. For me, this isn't really a knock against the film at all. It's so well-made, and so thoroughly sells its passion for the cinema, that I have no problem forgiving its fantastically adorable naïvité! However, I'm sure that someone is going to take issue with Pompo's pie-in-the-sky approach when it finally releases in the West...
camseyeview140

PostPosted: Sun Jun 27, 2021 10:12 am Reply with quote
So, how are y'all able to review these films when no one else is able to see them? I'm glad the film turned out pretty good and the review was great, but it makes me grumpy lol. I want to see these films and yet it always seems like animated films from Japan tend to take longer to come out than anime series. It's frustrating lol.
ANN_Lynzee
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Sun Jun 27, 2021 11:04 am Reply with quote
We have staff in Japan.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
camseyeview140

PostPosted: Sun Jun 27, 2021 11:13 am Reply with quote
octopodpie wrote:
We have staff in Japan.

That's what I assumed, but I still thought I would ask. I'm jelly they get to see them lol.
Neko-sensei

PostPosted: Sun Jun 27, 2021 6:42 pm Reply with quote
camseyeview140 wrote:
octopodpie wrote:
We have staff in Japan.

That's what I assumed, but I still thought I would ask. I'm jelly they get to see them lol.

I live in Japan as well, but I've discovered through years of experience that it's completely pointless to gush about great anime films I've seen when almost no other English-speakers have watched them. The best-case response is silence and the worst-case response is rage.

I think, ironically enough, not being able to talk about what you've watched may be more frustrating than having to wait a year to watch it.
MagicPolly

PostPosted: Sun Nov 21, 2021 1:57 pm Reply with quote
I just had the chance to see it at Anime NYC and man, as a film student it kind of scares me how accurate it made the editing process feel. The cinematography was also fantastic and it makes me wonder what the manga looks like in comparison since it did a lot of animation only techniques.

I don't really have much else to say haha, I just thought it was a great movie
LightningComet

PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2022 5:06 pm Reply with quote
This has been on my "Plan to Watch" list since...(consults MAL)... June 2021, apparently. Almost a full nine months, wow! I'm also very excited to see this roll stateside. Thanks for the review!
PseudoFiction

PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2022 8:43 pm Reply with quote
LightningComet wrote:
This has been on my "Plan to Watch" list since...(consults MAL)... June 2021, apparently. Almost a full nine months, wow! I'm also very excited to see this roll stateside. Thanks for the review!

well the Fathom Events screenings for the sub are today, I actually just got home from it, and the dub screenings are tomorrow, so... balls in your court my man
wolf10

PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2022 8:47 pm Reply with quote
Just got back from the theater. This was probably the best movie I've seen all year. I'll need to sleep on it and let the alcohol leave my system before I can put together any sort of coherent thoughts on it, but I had to agree with this review's final takeaway, the best part is spoiler[that it's exactly 90 minutes long].
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2