• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Seven Seas Acquires Print License for Ken Wakui's Tokyo Revengers Manga

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ab2143

PostPosted: Wed Nov 24, 2021 6:54 pm Reply with quote
that's good to hear. I really like the covers for Tokyo Revengers so I think I'll buy the print volumes

Last edited by ab2143 on Wed Nov 24, 2021 7:37 pm; edited 1 time in total
R. Kasahara

PostPosted: Wed Nov 24, 2021 7:34 pm Reply with quote
Kodansha Comics has released series that were considered "impossible" before, for various reasons (like Saint Young Men and Vinland Saga), so it's interesting that they passed on print for this one. As someone who prefers hard copies of manga, I'll definitely be giving Seven Seas' edition a look; have heard great things about this series.
Casval Rem Deikun

PostPosted: Wed Nov 24, 2021 8:43 pm Reply with quote
Great pick up for Seven Seas. Definitely getting it now that it's finally going to physical copies. Also like they are doing a "cultural note" on the manji symbol so no need for censoring but instead educating people.
Seven Seas does sold omnibuses from the experience I've had with some of their other series.
Donkey-er

PostPosted: Thu Nov 25, 2021 11:14 am Reply with quote
This really is amazing news, very excited about it. Was hoping Kodansha USA would change its mind and go for a physical release, but it's even more awesome to know that another publisher can pick up the license for a physical release.
zatheus

PostPosted: Thu Nov 25, 2021 9:16 pm Reply with quote
Finally, they want to take my money. I understand some people like digital only, but this is one of those small areas, comics and manga, where I just like having a physical item in my hand.
Buster Blader 126

PostPosted: Sat Dec 18, 2021 7:41 pm Reply with quote
R. Kasahara wrote:
Kodansha Comics has released series that were considered "impossible" before, for various reasons (like Saint Young Men and Vinland Saga), so it's interesting that they passed on print for this one. As someone who prefers hard copies of manga, I'll definitely be giving Seven Seas' edition a look; have heard great things about this series.

My suspicion is that they passed on the print license back in 2018 when it was relatively more affordable (as there was no hint of an anime coming out), and that once they inquired again after the anime was announced, the licensing cost had exponentially increased to the point where they decided that they couldn't justify the new cost. Whereas Seven Seas decided that it was worth that risk.

I don't fault them for thinking that this would be a riskier license for print in 2018, given its length, subject matter and Ken Wakui having no cache in North America.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1