• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Netflix Cancels Live-Action Cowboy Bebop Show

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
HueyLion

PostPosted: Thu Dec 09, 2021 7:29 pm Reply with quote
Can't say Im surprised or upset, kinda had it coming.
JoelBurger

PostPosted: Thu Dec 09, 2021 7:29 pm Reply with quote
But Netflix told me it was a wildly successful show where a billion people watched it, with more hours watched than there was actual time following its release. How could this be?
ranran-001

PostPosted: Thu Dec 09, 2021 7:34 pm Reply with quote
Meanwhile Netflix is happy to fund a dozen Adam Sandler stinkers, and progressively unfunny Dave Chappelle specials.
Sewingrose

PostPosted: Thu Dec 09, 2021 7:36 pm Reply with quote
I started watching the anime to compare it to the live action in case it was good, heard the live action was terrible and never bothered watching. From what it sounds like the adaptation was terrible.
Egan Loo

PostPosted: Thu Dec 09, 2021 7:37 pm Reply with quote
JoelBurger wrote:
But Netflix told me it was a wildly successful show where a billion people watched it, with more hours watched than there was actual time following its release.

Do you have a source for this?
Tuor_of_Gondolin

PostPosted: Thu Dec 09, 2021 7:41 pm Reply with quote
They made it so... unlikable. I'm not surprised that it didn't have any legs. It felt like they didn't really understand what made the anime so well-received, or maybe they just felt like they couldn't capture that and tried to find something else? I don't know... they did try to have their cake and eat it, too, though, and that rarely works out.

It wasn't a terrible show, IMO, but I wouldn't call it good, either. More like... it had moments where it was good, but never a moment where I felt it was great. Being, at best, mediocre was probably the nail that did it in.

BTW, I don't blame the actors for this. I felt that they all did pretty well with what they were given. I think the show's real issues were on a deeper, more conceptual level.

If they'd shown another season, I would've watched it, but not with any real enthusiasm. But now that's not going to happen.

See you Space Cowboy.

Last edited by Tuor_of_Gondolin on Thu Dec 09, 2021 8:08 pm; edited 1 time in total
Ushio

PostPosted: Thu Dec 09, 2021 7:43 pm Reply with quote
JoelBurger wrote:
But Netflix told me it was a wildly successful show where a billion people watched it, with more hours watched than there was actual time following its release. How could this be?

The first couple of episodes had near CW channel level of viewers which is still 40 million minutes watched. But viewership dropped off a cliff when the casual audience thought it was stupid and the anime fanbase mainly hated it.
Minos_Kurumada

PostPosted: Thu Dec 09, 2021 7:44 pm Reply with quote
I would love to know the train of mind of the person who thought such an expensive project was a good idea.

You expend 100 times more for something that doesn't looks nor moves as good as the original.
anime-prime

PostPosted: Thu Dec 09, 2021 7:46 pm Reply with quote
This is terrible news.....now we won't get a second Yoko Kanno soundtrack for this live action adaptation.

Last edited by anime-prime on Thu Dec 09, 2021 7:52 pm; edited 1 time in total
penguintruth

PostPosted: Thu Dec 09, 2021 7:48 pm Reply with quote
And nothing of value was lost.

Honestly, though, it was interesting in a train crash kind of way. I probably would have watched a second season. There were some genuinely good elements they might’ve been able to pull together if they just toned down the out of control Whedonesque quipping and stopped making Vicious so goofy.

Ah well. This will just be another footnote to a masterpiece anime series. But chances were it was always going to be.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Beatdigga

PostPosted: Thu Dec 09, 2021 7:50 pm Reply with quote
This was going to be a very tough project to get right solely on the grounds that the original is a beloved show, called everything from the anime fan's anime to a "gateway show" you could show to your friends and not feel embarrassed about. But they seemed to go out of their way to alienate the anime's audience with decisions and comments, which in and of itself, would be fine if it was only a vocal minority. The problem then was that the final result didn't appeal to a regular audience either judging by its poor critical scores (including from this very website, which lambasted it in a review I completely agreed with). So you have a show that doesn't make anyone happy. At that point, what else can you do but cancel it?
The Not so Chosen One

PostPosted: Thu Dec 09, 2021 7:53 pm Reply with quote
Breaking up the gang at the end of the season and debuting Radical Ed at the same time to make dumb sequel hooks was a... very strong, overconfident move lol well, this show was trash, so I'm not gonna miss it.

I hope the One Piece live action gets cancelled like this too, since people are seemingly much less willing to accept whatever liberties this adapt took, for a show that has to embrace its own silliness for it to be half as good as the anime/manga.

Last edited by The Not so Chosen One on Thu Dec 09, 2021 8:02 pm; edited 1 time in total
The Not so Chosen One

PostPosted: Thu Dec 09, 2021 7:55 pm Reply with quote
Minos_Kurumada wrote:
You expend 100 times more for something that doesn't looks nor moves as good as the original.

Imagine spending 100 time the usual network TV budget for a streaming show that doesn't look like it has that budget anywhere and that has the same visual quality as a CW show.
JoelBurger

PostPosted: Thu Dec 09, 2021 7:55 pm Reply with quote
The Not so Chosen One wrote:
I hope the One Piece live action gets cancelled like this too, since people are seemingly much less willing to accept whatever liberties this adapt took for a show that has to embrace its own silliness for it to be half as good as the anime/manga.

I don't know about getting cancelled, but I would not be surprised in the slightest if both OP and YYH get quietly delayed for a little while.
FireChick
Subscriber

PostPosted: Thu Dec 09, 2021 8:01 pm Reply with quote
Egan Loo wrote:
JoelBurger wrote:
But Netflix told me it was a wildly successful show where a billion people watched it, with more hours watched than there was actual time following its release.

Do you have a source for this?

The user was probably just joking.

But yeah, it was a good move to cancel this. This whole thing was a bad idea from the start. I admit I'm not a fan of Cowboy Bebop myself, as the anime wasn't to my tastes, but you'd think people would know better than to try to make something like that into a live-action movie and do so without even understanding the original source. It kind of says something when Japanese live-action movies have more respect for their original sources than American ones (with some exceptions, of course).
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 1 of 9