• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: Goodbye, Don Glees!

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
FireChick
Subscriber

PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2022 12:48 pm Reply with quote
Disappointing to hear that the movie's flaws are caused by...well, it being a movie and not a TV series. I wonder if Ishizuka wanted to make this into a TV series originally but wasn't allowed to for some reason? But I'll still watch this when it comes out.
Moonsaber

PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2022 3:40 pm Reply with quote
I will check this out when it is available.

I am still hoping that someone will license and release A Place Farther on Blu Ray, while I can stream it anytime it is a title I consider worth seeing several times and would like to have it on my shelf. Sadly the Japanese Blu Ray does not have subtitles, or I would buy it despite the expense like I did for Macross Delta.
mike2112

PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2022 4:33 pm Reply with quote
The first thing it that im sorry because i haven't used my account in ages.

What i want to know the most about the movie is how it rate in the visual aspect. O to put it better how was Ishizuka work as a director form the visual viewpoint.

I know that Dongless is a Yorimoi spiritual sequel, the problem to my is that with some exceptions like the "Youth in motion" scene or some others here and there, yorimoi was something that it felt to me more like a writer series most of the time.

How was the color dessing?, the lighting?, the background art?. There was some scene as dinamic as the chase in the second episode of Yorimoi?. For the trailers it seems like an step up, but i would like a confirmation from semone who watched it.
FireChick
Subscriber

PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2022 4:37 pm Reply with quote
Moonsaber wrote:
I will check this out when it is available.

I am still hoping that someone will license and release A Place Farther on Blu Ray, while I can stream it anytime it is a title I consider worth seeing several times and would like to have it on my shelf. Sadly the Japanese Blu Ray does not have subtitles, or I would buy it despite the expense like I did for Macross Delta.

Yeah, I still can't fathom why after all this time, Yorimoi never even got so much as a home video release, especially since it got featured on the New York Times at one point, and that's not a feat most anime can achieve. I mean, the hell? There's clearly demand for it here! Or is there some kind of CR licensing issue on the Japanese end that's holding it up?
Oggers

PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2022 4:46 pm Reply with quote
I really loved A Place Further Than The Universe, so I'll likely check this out when it's available somewhere, even if it doesn't quite hit the same highs as the director's previous work did. I find that the interactions between the girls is one of Yorimoi's strengths, and it's good to hear that this movie does that just as well with its own characters.
Moonsaber

PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2022 5:47 pm Reply with quote
FireChick wrote:

Yeah, I still can't fathom why after all this time, Yorimoi never even got so much as a home video release, especially since it got featured on the New York Times at one point, and that's not a feat most anime can achieve. I mean, the hell? There's clearly demand for it here! Or is there some kind of CR licensing issue on the Japanese end that's holding it up?

I did not know it made the Times, wow.

We can only hope, CR does not do the media releases, just streaming but with Sony in, they might start doing more. Pretty sure this one would sell, at least to me!
Dayraven

PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2022 5:58 pm Reply with quote
A Place Further Than the Universe also takes a long time getting to Antarctica, but in that case it really helps underscore the adventure-of-a-lifetime nature of what the characters are doing. Sounds like a similar structure might not have worked as well here?
FireChick
Subscriber

PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2022 6:33 pm Reply with quote
Moonsaber wrote:
FireChick wrote:

Here's the article about it: animenewsnetwork.com/interest/2018-12-08/new-york-times-lists-a-place-further-than-the-universe-in-top-10-international-shows-of-2018/.140436
iamthevastuniverse

PostPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2022 1:38 am Reply with quote
I wouldn't mind seeing the film god knows the wait for this to be released in a legit manner will be a long while.
Neko-sensei

PostPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2022 8:05 am Reply with quote
Great review, although people seem to be taking the wrong lesson from it—it really is a good movie! It won't be anyone's all-time favorite, but it's so earnestly good-hearted and so well-made it doesn't matter. I may not have cried, but I don't regret a second I spent watching Don Glees (and yes, the title is thoroughly explained within the film itself).

Rather than saying that the prologue is too long, I'd say that what we have here is a fantastic film about three lovable kids being absolute idiots in the backwoods (seriously, this is why Japanese schools have those "orienteering" events—they should all be dead!) with an overly-long coda about Iceland tacked on to the end. Once again, I knew before I even walked into the theater that the marketing was selling something that doesn't exist—this was obviously a film about people in Japan, not Iceland. I was also sure that, despite receiving equal billing with the three lead actors, Kana Hanazawa would not play a major role, and I was right about that too—she has maybe ten lines. Marketing is dishonest by nature, but I wish there were some way to convince people to ignore it.

Certainly in this case the film tragically sank at the box office without a trace. There were four other people in my showing on a Sunday afternoon, and I noticed that three days after the movie's opening the theater shop was still fully stocked on every piece of Don Glees merch they had.

But still—this production is fantastic. I wish the review had said more on this count, because words can hardly do justice to the work Ishizuka's team at Madhouse has done this time around; you can see their talents, restricted by TV production limitations on A Place Further Than the Universe, absolutely exploding onto the screen. This is true both for the spectacular character animation, which is what makes those lovably "dorky kids" so lovable, and the background work. In particular the flashbacks and dream sequences featuring Icelandic vistas have a magisterial grandeur one almost never finds in anime; they are awe-inspiring in exactly the same way as my own dreams. (I also personally love how perfectly the main portion of the film visually captures the experience of wandering around the Japanese mountains.) This is absolutely one to see in the theaters if you get a chance.

Finally, I have to mention the theatrical bonus, a free 30-page booklet featuring more content than you'd typically get in one of the "pamphlets" you have to pay for! This booklet, which is designed as a "guidebook" for the adventure on which you're about to embark with the Don Glees crew, is trying way, way too hard, and in fact it's trying so hard that it loops back around to being adorable. For example, the first page features the following checklist (translated very quickly and dirtily):
The Don Glees Guidebook wrote:
What to bring on the trip:
☐Ticket
☐Handkerchief (VERY important! Maybe bring a towel!!)
☐Related items [i.e. the Don Glees goods you buy at the theater]
☐Curiosity, a sense of adventure, and childlike wonder

Rules to follow on the trip:
☐Turn off your phone or set it to silent
☐No talking in the theater
☐No recording
☐Absolutely no falling asleep!
☐Go to the bathroom BEFORE the movie!

After the trip (check after viewing the film):
☐I laughed, I cried, it moved me
☐I thought back to my youth
☐I wanted to see my old friends again
☐I wanted to take "one more step forward," too
☐I wanted to watch the movie again and again
I honestly don't know if I love or hate this booklet, but it sure is cute.
wolf10

PostPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2022 10:05 am Reply with quote
Neko-sensei wrote:
I was also sure that, despite receiving equal billing with the three lead actors, Kana Hanazawa would not play a major role, and I was right about that too—she has maybe ten lines.
Well, that's a relief. I think after BELLE I was more worried that she would have more lines and screentime then the boys of Don Glees. I love me some HanaKana, but I don't watch CBDCT (Cute Boys Do Cute Things) for the female characters.
Farhanawesome

PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2022 8:54 pm Reply with quote
Moonsaber wrote:
FireChick wrote:

We can only hope, CR does not do the media releases, just streaming but with Sony in, they might start doing more. Pretty sure this one would sell, at least to me!

I also hope that CR will give A Place Further Than The Universe an english dub
joemuszynski

PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2022 9:55 pm Reply with quote
I would say - after seeing Don Glees and having Place Further … as my top anime series- the film is a perfectly paired extension of the feelings of the show. It’s beautiful and wise.
Dolza

PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2022 8:13 am Reply with quote
I was able to see Don Glees in a theater last night. I agree with a lot of the review. The backgrounds are amazing, with the art and animation being well above most things these days. The problem with the film is that everything in the story is totally underdeveloped. The emotional climax would have been much better served without the opening sequence.
spoiler[I did very much enjoy the "reveal" at the end, but the flashback was not complete enough - we needed to hear what Toto and Roma said that caused Drop to come find them. ]

I do recommend seeing it, and doing it on a big screen if you can just to appreciate the amazing art.
whiskeyii

PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2022 1:15 pm Reply with quote
Dolza wrote:

spoiler[I did very much enjoy the "reveal" at the end, but the flashback was not complete enough - we needed to hear what Toto and Roma said that caused Drop to come find them. ]

I do recommend seeing it, and doing it on a big screen if you can just to appreciate the amazing art.

But we did, I thought? It was quickly edited, but I’m pretty sure spoiler[they had Toto say what he did when the phone connected; you could see the timer on the phone counting up during the call. ]
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2