• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Man Says His Allegations Against Daman Mills Were Fabricated

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Etheiria

PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2022 6:12 pm Reply with quote
Anime News Network may not be able to say it officially, so I will. They're being manipulated.

If you've been following this story in the forums, there was a user who was very emphatic that the site was sloppy in their reporting. They were incensed over some minor details that would've been known only to a select few. Shortly thereafter, the alleged victim shows up on Twitter to give a statement, "in my Own Words", "without any spin or anything". They go on to say say, "Honestly, the thing I want more than anything is just for the article to be taken down." The intent is clear, to me. When Anime News Network couldn't be bullied into deleting the article, they switched to a different tactic. Make Anime News Network publish another piece that completely undermines their journalistic credibility.
Meowtain Duwu

PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2022 6:21 pm Reply with quote
Etheiria wrote:
Anime News Network may not be able to say it officially, so I will. They're being manipulated.

If you've been following this story in the forums, there was a user who was very emphatic that the site was sloppy in their reporting. They were incensed over some minor details that would've been known only to a select few. Shortly thereafter, the alleged victim shows up on Twitter to give a statement, "in my Own Words", "without any spin or anything". They go on to say say, "Honestly, the thing I want more than anything is just for the article to be taken down." The intent is clear, to me. When Anime News Network couldn't be bullied into deleting the article, they switched to a different tactic. Make Anime News Network publish another piece that completely undermines their journalistic credibility.

I just have to say something like this too:

The amount of anonymous accounts that were made days ago (like the user you mentioned) and have only posted replies in the threads relating to this situation is quite suspicious to me… I guess we’ll find out more details about all this in the coming days. My head is spinning from this whole thing; I have no idea at this point whether or not Daman actually assaulted Duncan.

Quick edit: You’re a new user too… wonder if you’re somebody else here on this site just using a burner account to get this out…
iamthevastuniverse

PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2022 6:24 pm Reply with quote
KitKat1721 wrote:
This whole thing has been such a giant mess and I'm too exhausted at this point to go into it much further. Unless all the screenshots were fabricated (wasn't sure based on the wording if it was just the claims or everything + evidence as well), it sure seems like Daman was still pursuing a minor as an adult. But at the same time the damage from the more damning allegations is already done, especially with a certain crowd being by far the most vocal about the entire thing.

And if I feel that exhausted just reading all this, I can't imagine how the ANN staff involved in this piece feel.

What certain vocal crowd are you talking about exactly? I don't trust the intent of this guy who the hell knows what the legit truth is just hoping Daman will continue to work at the pace he has for the last five years way to talented to be brought down by what could very possibly be false ghost claims in the end.

Last edited by iamthevastuniverse on Thu Mar 17, 2022 9:40 pm; edited 3 times in total
crazieanimefan1

PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2022 6:35 pm Reply with quote
Considering things, jealousy is a very wicked thing and makes us do things we don't intend. That being said, Damon has enough evidence (if he so wishes) to sue Duncan for a few things if he wants. Yet this guy used ANN as well as a device knowing how fresh everything still felt with the Vic saga.

I get a feeling Duncan's not gonna get off lightly that he has consequences coming. It all seemed fishy to begin with. It still seems fishy now.
Redbeard 101
Oscar the Grouch
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2022 6:53 pm Reply with quote
The whole thing seems fishy. Was Duncan threatened and forced to claim he was lying? Maybe. Was he actually lying and mad like he just said? Maybe. This feels like something that would've been on Maury.

The thing that does not seem to be in question is that there was some sort of relationship to some degree between the two. How amicable or reciprocated it was is all murky at this point, but it does seem there was something there. Assuming that is true, and assuming that the ages are accurate as well as to when this happened, it is still icky and creepy on Daman's part. Legal or not, it's still creepy.

If Duncan did lie about the reciprocation from him and those aspects of everything he should be ashamed as tis just gives people more ammo to use against victims. You don't lie about shit like that because it can and will affect the chances of others being believed. If he is changing his story now out of fear of reprisal, threats, or for whatever reason, then Daman should be ashamed. Beyond what he should already feel for the icky aspects of the ages even if it was mutual.

In the end this seems like a giant cluster that is completely FUBAR. I feel sorry for the staff trying to simply report on a serious topic in a genuine matter, only to have it turn into this shit show.
#icyermc

PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2022 6:55 pm Reply with quote
You guys really should not be speculating whether or not this specific article was true - you guys said believe the victims, now it is time to believe Duncan on the fabrication.
capt_bunny

PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2022 6:55 pm Reply with quote
What a mess.
#icyermc

PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2022 6:57 pm Reply with quote
capt_bunny wrote:
What a mess.

100% agreed.

EDIT: Added stuff below

NGL, I kinda feel bad for damans career, now that the allegations were proven fabricated. It is definitely going to take a hit but at least this whole charade is over. Do y'all know if he is still voicing Osamu in HQ?
ANN_Lynzee
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2022 7:17 pm Reply with quote
Etheiria wrote:

I can confirm there have been individuals in the forums who are industry members that have not identified themselves as such. I know who they are and you're accurate in saying that the story changed not long after.

I wouldn't assume all new accounts are maliciously made though, similar things (newly registered accounts) happened during the Vic Mignogna articles.

I know what I believed was accurate when the story was published and I also know what I currently believe now. I will continue to have lingering questions about this story but primarily I am disappointed in a myriad of ways. I expect that this will be likely be the end of it.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Meowtain Duwu

PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2022 7:19 pm Reply with quote
I feel quite the opposite. I think things are just getting started. We’ve seen the complete 180 this situation turned into over the past few days; I for one think that there’s a lot more to this story that we don’t know about yet.

I once believed that Duncan was telling the truth, but now, as I’ve said earlier in the thread, I’m not sure. I think it’s too early for us to make any more judgements about this case at the moment though. We’re just going to have to wait and see where this situation goes.
If it takes Daman himself reaching out to ANN to set the record straight, then great. Hearing the accuser’s take on these allegations would be very much welcomed by me and I’m sure everyone else would do the same.

Last edited by Meowtain Duwu on Thu Mar 17, 2022 7:23 pm; edited 1 time in total
ANN_Lynzee
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2022 7:22 pm Reply with quote
I mean if he does, we'd publish it. I'd just love to not have to write about this again given everything that happened.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Meowtain Duwu

PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2022 7:25 pm Reply with quote
ANN_Lynzee wrote:
I mean if he does, we'd publish it. I'd just love to not have to write about this again given everything that happened.

I’d feel the same way if I was in your shoes. This whole thing is just a huge clusterfuck. Hopefully this is the end of it though. If not, then I guess this mess will (again, hopefully) straighten itself out by the end of the month.
johnnysasaki

PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2022 8:11 pm Reply with quote
isn't that what happened to Quinton Flynn?Though that did cost him some roles,like Warcraft and No More Heroes 3
Waterstarlight

PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2022 8:13 pm Reply with quote
I’ve been reading some of people’s opinions on other places, I heard an interesting theory. People are saying that the screenshots are true but Duncan lied about one thing. His age. Is there any proof that Duncan was minor when this all happened? Anything that indicates his current age?
crazieanimefan1

PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2022 8:15 pm Reply with quote
Meowtain Duwu wrote:
I feel quite the opposite. I think things are just getting started. We’ve seen the complete 180 this situation turned into over the past few days; I for one think that there’s a lot more to this story that we don’t know about yet.

I once believed that Duncan was telling the truth, but now, as I’ve said earlier in the thread, I’m not sure. I think it’s too early for us to make any more judgements about this case at the moment though. We’re just going to have to wait and see where this situation goes.
If it takes Daman himself reaching out to ANN to set the record straight, then great. Hearing the accuser’s take on these allegations would be very much welcomed by me and I’m sure everyone else would do the same.

I agree. My first thoughts on this was to just watch and get both sides of the story and not jump to conclusions. As an abuse victim myself, I would tend to go toward the "victim's" side, but I'm learning not to see everything through rose colored glasses. As such, I'm like you, I think I'd rather just monitor once again. As you said, this is too early and in the course of a week, I feel like I just went to Six Flags on a roller coaster ride.

To sit there and ruin a man's career though, that takes some methodical planning. Not just in this sense, but that's almost psycological to do that to anyone. Yet we don't know the story...and like any good mystery, it builds up.
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 2 of 8