• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: Pacific Rim: The Black Season 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MFrontier

PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2022 12:46 pm Reply with quote
Is Rhys Darby contractually obligated to always play the kooky quirky character in these genre shows?

I feel like there were actually more Kaiju fights in this season than in the first one, or maybe just more Kaiju.

There was one character I was really surprised they tried to spin a "redemption" out of despite portraying the character as an utter, unrepentant, piece of @#$^ in the first season. Not quite sure what they were going for there.
Beatdigga

PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2022 6:38 pm Reply with quote
That was Rhys Darby? I looked in the credits, no sign of his name.
One-Eye

PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2022 3:25 pm Reply with quote
I actually disliked the second season. The first was ok, but I was pretty sure the guy who got a redemption arc didn't really deserve it. It was weird. The teenage angst and whininess seemed doubled this season and was really annoying. It just overshadowed the Kaiju fights which felt meh in this season. I enjoy giant robots punching big monsters, but I didn't get a thrill out of it this season. Characters didn't really seem to come together and the end felt a bit rushed.

Bah, I think I'll just go watch those cheesy but fun movies again and wash the disappointment off.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1