• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The Best and Worst of Spring 2022, Apr 29-May 5

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Vladimir Morales

PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2022 11:08 am Reply with quote
I'm glad that Date A Live IV is climbing up the ranks, but seriously, how this show beating Shield Hero and Shikimori at the weekly ranks? Shield Hero and Shikimori got tons of advertising, but Date A LIve beat them. How did that happen?
Sariachan

PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2022 1:17 pm Reply with quote
Vladimir Morales wrote:
I'm glad that Date A Live IV is climbing up the ranks, but seriously, how this show beating Shield Hero and Shikimori at the weekly ranks? Shield Hero and Shikimori got tons of advertising, but Date A LIve beat them. How did that happen?

I can't talk for other people, but I dropped Shield Hero S2 yesterday after watching the latest released episode. I don't read the novels, but I heard that the anime staff made a mess in this second season of the anime. Even I can feel that some parts are cut/rushed, and anyway I don't like the directing and screenplay (among other things). I liked the first season a lot, so was this such a letdown... Sad
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
Vladimir Morales

PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2022 1:46 pm Reply with quote
Sariachan wrote:
Vladimir Morales wrote:

I can't talk for other people, but I dropped Shield Hero S2 yesterday after watching the latest released episode. I don't read the novels, but I heard that the anime staff made a mess in this second season of the anime. Even I can feel that some parts are cut/rushed, and anyway I don't like the directing and screenplay (among other things). I liked the first season a lot, so was this such a letdown... Sad

I just started season 2 of Shield Hero a few days ago, and so far, the show seems pretty okay with me. I'm watching the English dub, BTW. I'm just tired of reading subtitles. Also, I don't know about Shikimori but I plan to watch the show soon, so please don't spoil either show for me. I still have a billion other things to catch up on.

Still, thanks for your honest opinion.
Dan42
Chief Encyclopedist

PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2022 4:31 pm Reply with quote
Vladimir Morales wrote:
Shield Hero and Shikimori got tons of advertising, but Date A LIve beat them. How did that happen?

Since these are user rankings, advertising and popularity don't have much to do with anything. The people decide what they like. Power to the people! Smile
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Sekaro

PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2022 10:41 pm Reply with quote
First time I've looked at these ratings and it's roughly what I expected. Spy X Family being at the top shouldn't be surprising to anyone. Kaguya trailing close behind is also no surprise. As for the people wondering why Shield Hero S2 is ranked so low despite all the advertising, that's simply because its been a pretty below average season so far. The first 5 episodes focused on a newly introduced character that I'm not fond of nor do I care about & S2 has done a pretty good job at making me feel that way. I cant say how good the novels did on this part but the anime has been quite mediocre so far...
meiam

PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2022 12:30 am Reply with quote
More people can mean lower score. A very niche show might have very few viewer but they'll all really like it and score it high. A show that's popular due to lots of advertisement will have plenty of people watching it despite not being that interested in it, which can drag down the score.
Key

PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2022 2:13 pm Reply with quote
While I'm a little surprised that it's that low, Shield Hero has been far less compelling this season and everyone who's still following the series can see that. It's not just the focus on the underwhelming Rishia, either; the whole Spirit Tortoise plotline feels more like a side story than part of the main plot, and the lack of drama for Naofumi kills the edge that (for better or worse) the first season had. If it wasn't the only title I'm following that debuts on Wednesday, it probably wouldn't be my priority view on Wednesdays.

OTOH, I am quite pleased to see Demon Girl climbing in the rankings; that's always been such an under-acknowledged show.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Saeryen

PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2022 2:33 pm Reply with quote
Again, I'm glad to see Delicious Party Pretty Cure earn a spot, though I think it's rather unfair that it sunk. At least it's mid-ranked and quite above the lowest spots.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2022 12:56 pm Reply with quote
Saeryen wrote:
Again, I'm glad to see Delicious Party Pretty Cure earn a spot, though I think it's rather unfair that it sunk.

I can understand that you're disappointed, but "unfair"? As Dan said, "The people decide what they like." The people have spoken, and there's nothing unfair about it.

Hopefully now that they've spoiler[killed off the damn turtle], Shield Hero will pick up a bit. Because it's been a real slog so far this season. I just wish Rishia had stayed behind to nurse her idol back to health or something, to remove her from the story.
Saeryen

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2022 9:15 pm Reply with quote
Gina Szanboti wrote:
I can understand that you're disappointed, but "unfair"? As Dan said, "The people decide what they like." The people have spoken, and there's nothing unfair about it.

I found it a bit unfair because shoujo stuff and genuinely warmhearted works are undervalued enough, and I wish more people would appreciate them.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
ATastySub
Past ANN Contributor

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2022 4:13 am Reply with quote
Saeryen wrote:
Gina Szanboti wrote:

I found it a bit unfair because shoujo stuff and genuinely warmhearted works are undervalued enough, and I wish more people would appreciate them.

The things topping the list are genuinely warm-hearted, so congrats you don’t need to pretend that’s what’s keeping your favorite down.
Saeryen

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2022 9:03 am Reply with quote
ATastySub wrote:
Saeryen wrote:
Gina Szanboti wrote:

The things topping the list are genuinely warm-hearted, so congrats you don’t need to pretend that’s what’s keeping your favorite down.

I didn’t mean to pretend, I was just explaining my thoughts. And it wasn’t just that; it’s the fact that it’s made with girls in mind and those works often (but not always) get sidelined.

I am not trying to be mean to anyone. I simply wanted to express my point of view.

On another note, I’m quite pleased Heroines Run the Show is so high on the first list.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1