• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Seven Seas Reveals GL/BL Labels, Licenses The Titan's Bride, More Manga

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
TsukasaElkKite

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2022 8:04 am Reply with quote
They're batting a thousand on licensing yuri manga.
Crisha

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2022 8:33 pm Reply with quote
Seven Seas has been batting a thousand for BL and GL titles for a while now. They are the manga publishing company I've been buying most of my manga from lately. Like, damn. I've been wanting Right Stuf to put them up as their weekly sale, which unfortunately only seems to happen the week before their Birthday and Holiday sales now. (Which should mean that their sale is next week).
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
ZelosZoidberg

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2022 9:03 pm Reply with quote
Crisha wrote:
Seven Seas has been batting a thousand for BL and GL titles for a while now. They are the manga publishing company I've been buying most of my manga from lately. Like, damn. I've been wanting Right Stuf to put them up as their weekly sale, which unfortunately only seems to happen the week before their Birthday and Holiday sales now. (Which should mean that their sale is next week).
Thanks for the reminder. Too bad a bunch of stuff I want from them have been out of stock for a long time (looking at you Booty Royal Never Go Down Without a Fight volume 2!).

Asumi-chan Is Interested in Lesbian Brothels!
and I'm Kinda Chubby and I'm Your Hero both look good and I say that last one as a person attracted to feminine bodies.
Covnam

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2022 10:37 pm Reply with quote
Just recently read Asumi-chan, so nice to see it picked up Smile

Crisha wrote:

Yeah, I've been patiently waiting for a Seven Seas weekly sale (and Yen Press) for some time now -_-
Florete

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2022 11:05 pm Reply with quote
Almost perfect. Only almost because...why GL? I don't think I've seen Seven Seas use GL before this, and even in these announcements they describe them as yuri series. The only reason I can imagine is that they're planning or future-proofing for some non-Japanese titles for the label, but it still feels really misguided.

Well, at least it's not shoujo ai.
SHD

PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2022 3:36 am Reply with quote
Florete wrote:
Almost perfect. Only almost because...why GL? I don't think I've seen Seven Seas use GL before this, and even in these announcements they describe them as yuri series. The only reason I can imagine is that they're planning or future-proofing for some non-Japanese titles for the label, but it still feels really misguided.

Well, at least it's not shoujo ai.

"GL" is shaping up to be the term taking over, it's more and more widely used in the industry - not necessarily in publication titles and whatnot, but as label. I guess it's to go with BL (Boys Love) and TL (Teens Love = the trashy female-targeted ero stuff we've been getting some anime adaptations of recently, "teens" because its main target demo is younger female readers).
livin_large

PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2022 4:14 am Reply with quote
Florete wrote:

Seven Sea's labels have always been pretty arbitrary. As long as they stop trying to label every yuri or yaoi title as just "LGBT" then I see it as an improvement that we might see actual distinction and classification being done on the English publisher level finally.
Florete

PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2022 6:40 am Reply with quote
SHD wrote:
"GL" is shaping up to be the term taking over, it's more and more widely used in the industry - not necessarily in publication titles and whatnot, but as label. I guess it's to go with BL (Boys Love) and TL (Teens Love = the trashy female-targeted ero stuff we've been getting some anime adaptations of recently, "teens" because its main target demo is younger female readers).

It's really not, though. Not where I'm seeing, anyway, from readers or retailers. And I'm a yuri reader so I go where these people are. Right Stuf and Amazon both use yuri, and Bookwalker uses Girl's Love/Yuri. Even Seven Seas' site itself still has the section as yuri. Doing a quick search of all the retailers they link to, not a single one seems to be using "Girls' Love." (Though most of them also aren't using yuri; they use no genre labels at all or lesbian/LGBT)

For the record, I'm not super mad or anything like that, I just find the decision kind of baffling given Seven Seas' history (and present) of using "yuri" instead and even using a lily as the icon for the label. I also just find "yuri" to sound much more elegant than "girls' love."
SHD

PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2022 10:14 am Reply with quote
Florete wrote:
SHD wrote:

It's really not, though. Not where I'm seeing, anyway, from readers or retailers.

Then you and I are not looking in the same places. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ I don't know about American usage, but I see GL gaining more and more ground in Japan, both in fandom and in industry circles. It hasn't become the equivalent of BL yet, but LoveFes has "Girls Love Festival", Comitia and ebookjapan use "yuri/GL" for f/f works, Renta! and toranoana use "Girl's Love", DMM uses "Girl's Love/rezu", there's BLIC's BLIC-GL label, etc etc., and as I said it's getting more and more usage in fandom. GL simply fits in better with BL & TL, and stands out more (being romaji).
Florete

PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2022 11:03 pm Reply with quote
SHD wrote:
Then you and I are not looking in the same places. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ I don't know about American usage, but I see GL gaining more and more ground in Japan, both in fandom and in industry circles. It hasn't become the equivalent of BL yet, but LoveFes has "Girls Love Festival", Comitia and ebookjapan use "yuri/GL" for f/f works, Renta! and toranoana use "Girl's Love", DMM uses "Girl's Love/rezu", there's BLIC's BLIC-GL label, etc etc., and as I said it's getting more and more usage in fandom. GL simply fits in better with BL & TL, and stands out more (being romaji).

You know, if this really is the case, it's pretty funny. The English speakers are prioritizing yuri, a Japanese term, and the Japanese speakers are prioritizing GL, an English term.
ThrowMeOut

PostPosted: Sat May 21, 2022 6:16 am Reply with quote
Makes perfect sense to me. If I was a non anime fan looking for same-sex fiction, the word Yuri means nothing to me. But Girl's love is pretty obvious in what it means. It's a smart move to try and expand their readership beyond people who aren't already in the know.
SHD

PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2022 5:05 am Reply with quote
Florete wrote:
SHD wrote:

You know, if this really is the case, it's pretty funny. The English speakers are prioritizing yuri, a Japanese term, and the Japanese speakers are prioritizing GL, an English term.

I think that's just because American companies usually tend to follow whatever seems the most widespread in the English speaking fandom, which is naturally behind the developments on the Japanese side, and changes its terminology slower anyway (I still see so many instances of "shounen ai" and the "shounen ai vs yaoi" distinction that never actually existed and is completely a Western creation based on misunderstandings). However, as pointed out above, if you want to create a label for stuff you want to market to casual audiences (ie. not otaku immersed in otaku slang) then something like Girls Love is going to be a lot more accessible.

On the Japanese side I think GL is emerging because of the same situation BL used to be: there's a need for an umbrella term for f/f themed works. There's terminology already in usage, but most have their own history and connotations that may result in some publishers or authors not wanting to use it for their creations. GL is pretty much the most neutral term from this aspect.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1