• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Discotek Licenses Classic Urusei Yatsura Anime, City Hunter Films, More

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Themaster20000

PostPosted: Sat Jul 30, 2022 9:08 pm Reply with quote
Little disappointed we didn't get an news on the other Ippo seasons. I'll take those City Hunter movies in the meantime!
getchman
Space Cowboy

PostPosted: Sat Jul 30, 2022 9:08 pm Reply with quote
Nice. I'll get Symphogear, and that's pretty much it
Mamo-chan

PostPosted: Sat Jul 30, 2022 9:09 pm Reply with quote
I nearly spit my drink out when UY TV was announced.
There is hope for Maison Ikkoku.
Zhou-BR

PostPosted: Sat Jul 30, 2022 9:24 pm Reply with quote
I thought the announcements wouldn't get any bigger than Sherlock Hound (at least to me), and then they shock us with Urusei Yatsura at the very end. Wow, those magnificent bastards really did it.

I also hope they keep the tokusatsu train rolling and eventually get all metal hero shows, including the ones that would require a deal with Saban (Shaider, Spielvan, Metalder, B-Fighter and B-Fighter Kabuto).

Themaster20000 wrote:
Little disappointed we didn't get an news on the other Ippo seasons.

So am I, to be honest. I thought the first series had done well enough for them.
GATSU

PostPosted: Sat Jul 30, 2022 9:34 pm Reply with quote
They also picked up the last of the FUNi Lupins, Nostradamus.
LegitPancake

PostPosted: Sat Jul 30, 2022 9:46 pm Reply with quote
Ah damn the Urusei dub is unavailable for them to license? That's a shame. The article doesn't say, but is it SDBD or remastered BD? Also did they get streaming rights? It'd be nice if they can get the series to stream ahead of the new generation show.

Edit: Found the tweet, all it says is bluray.

Last edited by LegitPancake on Sat Jul 30, 2022 10:00 pm; edited 1 time in total
Cardcaptor Takato

PostPosted: Sat Jul 30, 2022 9:51 pm Reply with quote
For me I’m most looking forward to Urusei Yatsura TV series, OG Shaman King subbed, Gunbuster, Sherlock Hound, and Space Sheriff Gavin. I still have my copies of the few single volume DVDs of uncut Shaman King 4Kids put out so I’ll be happy to finally own all the original show.
Top Gun

PostPosted: Sat Jul 30, 2022 10:03 pm Reply with quote
I bought the Sherlock Hound DVD set a couple of weeks ago and literally said to myself, "Discotek's going to announce a BD release immediately after this, aren't they?" Every. Damn. Time. You're welcome, everyone! Laughing
JustMonika

PostPosted: Sat Jul 30, 2022 10:10 pm Reply with quote
1 1/2 years since it was dubbed and still no home video release for the Konosuba movie, lol
Hagaren Viper

PostPosted: Sat Jul 30, 2022 10:13 pm Reply with quote
I've said it before but the thing I appreciate about Discotek is that they'll frequently have full announcement lineups of things I'm not interested in and yet I can still say "woah, that's a big deal". Urusei Yatsura, who would have thought?

Really hope we get info on subbed Medabots sometime soon though. Maybe they'll Astrores it like Shaman King at this point.

Top Gun wrote:
I bought the Sherlock Hound DVD set a couple of weeks ago and literally said to myself, "Discotek's going to announce a BD release immediately after this, aren't they?" Every. Damn. Time. You're welcome, everyone! Laughing

Mind buying some of the Zoids singles for us?
Covnam

PostPosted: Sat Jul 30, 2022 10:30 pm Reply with quote
Not too surprising that Discotek would go for the UY TV series considering they did all the movies, but considering the size of it and the comitment it takes, still a bit shocking to actually see it being re-released.

Nice to see Symphogear's final (5th) season get announced so that we now have a full release confirmed (note for the article, season 4 hasn't been released yet).

Would have liked to have seen some Konosuba news though
Ataru

PostPosted: Sat Jul 30, 2022 10:36 pm Reply with quote
I would have been fine without the AnimEigo English Dub of UY since I still have the VHS copy (somewhere), but not getting that BBC English Dub is a real shame.

More Lupin and Project A-Ko and the rest of City Hunter are great to hear.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
ZelosZoidberg

PostPosted: Sat Jul 30, 2022 11:25 pm Reply with quote
Wow I thought they would release the UY OVA's first to gauge interest in the UY TV series but those mad lads/gals/they did it! The upcoming remake must have influence their decision to a point. Glad they got it before Sony. Using the AnimEigo subs as a base is great since they perfected the art-form YEARS ago. Will pre-order as soon as it goes up.

To answer an earlier comment they will most likely be on SDBD since they said 4 box sets and going by other sets they have released that's 51-52 episodes in a set on 2 discs.

More City Hunter is always good even if I'm still on the first season.

The Tales of Symphonia is my 3rd favorite Gamecube game and for awhile it was my favorite game of all time but after hindsight and revaluations changed that opinion. Would finally like to see this.

Project A-Ko 3 will go nice with the others in my collection.

Sherlock Hound has been on my watch list FOREVER and I'm glad I can finally watch it.

Never stop being awesome Discotek.

Last edited by ZelosZoidberg on Sun Jul 31, 2022 2:02 am; edited 2 times in total
MFrontier

PostPosted: Sat Jul 30, 2022 11:32 pm Reply with quote
Perfect timing with Urusei Yatsura now that the remake is coming out.

Also Symphonia, Symphogear, City Hunter movies, Cat's Eye, Shaman King, and even some tokustatsu...it's a great list!
Alphonae

PostPosted: Sat Jul 30, 2022 11:33 pm Reply with quote
Holy shit, does this mean Maison Ikkoku will also come out soon?
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4