• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Disney, Madhouse to Make Stitch! Show for Japanese TV

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
samuelp
Industry Insider

PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2008 6:07 am Reply with quote
For people going "huh?" at this news, just a heads up that Stitch is crazy popular here in Japan. You can find plushies and figures and dolls everywhere of him. I think the film did way better in Japan than it did in the US, at least in longevity anyway, so making a new japanese anime series seems like a perfect way for disney to capitalize on it.

Setting it in Okinawa seems like a good idea, it's pretty similar in many ways to Hawaii.
~Brain.Wav~

PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2008 6:28 am Reply with quote
Hey, more Lilo and Stitch can't be bad. One of the few Disney (not Pixar) animated films I've enjoyed in recent memory.
BleuVII

PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2008 6:38 am Reply with quote
samuelp wrote:
For people going "huh?" at this news, just a heads up that Stitch is crazy popular here in Japan. You can find plushies and figures and dolls everywhere of him. I think the film did way better in Japan than it did in the US, at least in longevity anyway, so making a new japanese anime series seems like a perfect way for disney to capitalize on it.

Setting it in Okinawa seems like a good idea, it's pretty similar in many ways to Hawaii.

Indeed. My students know that film backwards and forwards.

I also find it interesting that Gargoyles was animated in Japan. That explains so much! Like, why it was arguably the most anime-like American cartoon that aired on broadcast television.
RadicaLElly

PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2008 7:15 am Reply with quote
Quote:
I also find it interesting that Gargoyles was animated in Japan. That explains so much! Like, why it was arguably the most anime-like American cartoon that aired on broadcast television.

lol, don't look into that too much. Back then outsouricng animation to Japan was the same as how most American cartoons are outsourced to Korea now. It's gotten too expensive to do in Japan anymore though as you can imagine...
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number
Viga_of_stars

PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2008 8:05 am Reply with quote
I'm actually ecstatic over the new because I'm a huge Lilo and Stich fan. It's one of the only modern Disney works I like. Although i think Leroy and Stitch could've been better.Not a bad ending though. I can't wait to see the results of the Stitch anime and compare it with the Stitch cartoon.
Ryokosha

PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2008 9:28 am Reply with quote
samuelp wrote:

It sounds interesting but isn't it a bit after the movie came out? Even if it is still way popular why suddenly a new show? Sounds interesting though, and might be worth seeing how it does.
omnistry

PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2008 9:44 am Reply with quote
samuelp wrote:

When at the Disney Store at Shibuya last year I noticed that almost every inch of the store was Stitch merchandise.

Hopefully we'll get a chance to see this show in the States.
samuelp
Industry Insider

PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2008 9:52 am Reply with quote
Ryokosha wrote:
samuelp wrote:

It sounds interesting but isn't it a bit after the movie came out? Even if it is still way popular why suddenly a new show? Sounds interesting though, and might be worth seeing how it does.

Mascots kind of take on a life of their own here. The most common plushies in Tokyo? Stitch and Snoopy.
Go figure...

Most tokyo people don't even know where Snoopy is from, they just think he's cute.
jvowles
Otakon Representative

PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2008 10:30 am Reply with quote
Mr Maruyama at Madhouse is also a HUGE fan of Stitch (he has an amazing collection of them at his house, including one wearing an otakon staff shirt and badge), and he was positively giddy about this project.

It's also kind of neat, and fitting, that part of Madhouse's current office space used to be Disney Japan.

I think part of the appeal is similar to that of Crayon Shin Chan -- the naughty kid who breaks the rules is very appealing in country where people generally do not even jaywalk.
BleuVII

PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2008 10:34 am Reply with quote
samuelp wrote:
Ryokosha wrote:
samuelp wrote:

Mascots kind of take on a life of their own here. The most common plushies in Tokyo? Stitch and Snoopy.
Go figure...

Most tokyo people don't even know where Snoopy is from, they just think he's cute.

Yeah, the longevity of popular things is MUCH greater in Japan than it is in the USA. There are the pseudo popular things which come and go in a matter of months, but if something stays popular for one year, it's likely to stay popular for at least two more. And, as Samuelp said, mascots are another story entirely. Hello Kitty, Doraemon, Shin-chan, Snoopy, Stitch, Jack Skellington, and others that you wouldn't expect. People just latch on to them and don't let go.
GATSU

PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2008 10:35 am Reply with quote
I'm surprised there's been no news about that Kingdom Hearts thing, though. Maybe it's dead in the water? Anyway, I was just thinking that I'd be afraid to know how the Japanese studios would do a Song of the South spin-off. Laughing
BleuVII

PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2008 10:39 am Reply with quote
What Kingdom Hearts thing? They've got a few manga series going, and three new games are in development, but I have yet to hear any news about a TV show.
Neoguest

PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2008 10:59 am Reply with quote
This interesting, never thought the Stitch would be very popular in Japan.
GATSU

PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2008 11:00 am Reply with quote
Bleu: Yeah, a KH "cartoon" was announced a while ago, but nothing really happened since then.
stopher87

PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2008 11:04 am Reply with quote
BleuVII wrote:
Like, why it was arguably the most anime-like American cartoon that aired on broadcast television.

Unless you count Teen Titans, or at least they tried to give off that impression.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3