• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: I'm the Villainess, So I'm Taming the Final Boss

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Saeryen

PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2022 10:38 am Reply with quote
This is a very fun show, with some nice lighthearted comedy moments and some more serious ones (overall, I'd say it feels on the lighter side so far, though that first climax was tense, and appropriately so).

I adore the two leads and the chemistry between them. Claude is an amazing character, while Prince Cedric is the worst and clearly planned to spoiler[murder his brother from the beginning].

I'm wondering Lilia's motivations too, and why she's so eager to make Aileen look bad and help Cedric do his awful stuff.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
zztop

PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2022 12:31 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Episodes two through four provide a nice little story arc that seemingly stretches all the way to the end of the game

The anime has now covered its source LN Vol 1 in 4 episodes, spoiler[and may likely cover Vols 2-3 in the remaining season episodes.] Which should be a treat for readers who've only read the manga adaptation, since that one only covered the 1st LN as a limited promo for the novels. IIRC the manga artist for that one, Yuzu Anko, was quite disappointed her commission was that short since she was a fan of the LN series.

Quote:
while we have gotten to the end of a story arc, complete with a cliché climax where magical tears heal everything, very little is actually resolved.

You'll need to wait for Vol 3's plot to kick in, spoiler[since events in that one tie up lingering issues from Vol 1 and give more context to Cedric's inferiority complex.]
Saeryen

PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2022 12:54 pm Reply with quote
zztop wrote:
The anime has now covered its source LN Vol 1 in 4 episodes, spoiler[and may likely cover Vols 2-3 in the remaining season episodes.] Which should be a treat for readers who've only read the manga adaptation, since that one only covered the 1st LN as a limited promo for the novels. IIRC the manga artist for that one, Yuzu Anko, was quite disappointed her commission was that short since she was a fan of the LN series.

Ah, that's why the manga only covered the first arc. I was so confused when I saw that.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
MFrontier

PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2022 4:12 pm Reply with quote
I went into this with low expectations but was surprisingly delighted by how enjoyable and sweet the series is.

I love Aileen as a Heroine. She's confident, clever, beautiful, funny, compassionate, and channels her Villainess persona for all it's worth. Best of all is when Claude manages to get through her thick exterior and maker her swoon.

I also think it's interesting how, compared to Bakarina, it feels like Aileen has identified herself more with her game self rather than her previous life, to the point where her game knowledge is mostly just a plot device. But it also makes her more interesting because she feels more convincingly Aileen than a Japanese Girl getting Isekai'd.

I love how Tomokazu Sugita is playing the crow sidekick.

Cedric and Lilia are utter trash who get worse and worse as the 1st arc went along. I can only imagine what they'll do now that they've been booted off the line of succession.

With how conclusive the ending of episode 4 is, I'm eager to see how Aileen and Claude's relationship develops and what's next in the plot.
Thesarum

PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2022 5:16 pm Reply with quote
MFrontier wrote:
I love Aileen as a Heroine. She's confident, clever, beautiful, funny, compassionate, and channels her Villainess persona for all it's worth.

She's unafraid of what others think, unashamed about wanting things for herself (including and most importantly, her own survival), and totally prepared to wield every weapon in her armory in pursuit of those things. I guess these things make her a villainess. She's fantastic.

MFrontier wrote:
With how conclusive the ending of episode 4 is, I'm eager to see how Aileen and Claude's relationship develops and what's next in the plot.

Yeah, I wasn't really expecting to get to the end-game quite so quickly. Though I guess given Cedric's downfall and Aileen's triumph was inevitable from about half way through ep1 when it was clear just how much she outclassed him, why waste time getting there? Aileen needs an antagonist who can test her, because Cedric is just an unhinged looser. Is that Lilia? Maybe.. there are hints she's also got some memory of the game plot (why else would she write the threatening letters Aileen wasn't writing in this timeline?).
MFrontier

PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2022 9:48 am Reply with quote
Wow, Aileen got into the sequel game plot faster than Bakarina did.

So how did Aileen transform into a boy? Magic? I don't feel like she'd be the type to cut her hair off if she didn't absolutely have to and binding her breasts for so long would probably hurt...

So we've got a Villainess who doesn't feel like a Villainess (although it seems like she was the culprit, but she's being forced to do it?), a Main Heroine (Ayacchi for the win!) who is at odds with Aileen because she worships Lilia and is for some reason making no romantic progress with her lead love interest, and Claude 2.0 (Soma Saito!) who looks like he's being driven to villainy because of the demon incense.

I loved the duck costume. It reminded me of Skip Beat. Also that Claude is so mushy and romantic and Aileen doesn't know how to deal with that.
Aerodynamic41

PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2022 7:39 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Aileen's disguise has got to be magical, right? Because if it's supposed to be practical then A) that is one hell of a wig and B) I'm surprised she isn't constantly passing out with how tight her chest wrappings would have to be.

Nope, she's just really good at crossdressing and that really is a wig. This was left out in the anime but in the LN she mentioned that her mother taught her how to pass off as a man.
MFrontier

PostPosted: Mon Oct 31, 2022 4:53 pm Reply with quote
If I had a nickel for every time the ostensible Main Heroine of an Otome game acted more like the Villainess than the actual games' Villainess...I'd have two nickles, which isn't a lot but surprising it'd happen twice. Doubly so because Selena's trying to steal Claude from Aileen like Lilia initially did.

But Aileen dropkicking misogynist pigs will never get old. Although I guess they're excusing the rampant male terribleness with the demon incense.

It's funny that only now has Aileen gained a reverse Harem and it's through cross dressing. But she only has eyes for Claude even as he's making every woman swoon.
Aerodynamic41 wrote:
Nope, she's just really good at crossdressing and that really is a wig. This was left out in the anime but in the LN she mentioned that her mother taught her how to pass off as a man.

We saw how she was binding her breasts but I didn't think she'd actually cut her hair, so a wig makes sense (although it's one heck of a wig).

That's such a random bit about Aileen's mother that now I want to know everything about her.
Aerodynamic41

PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2022 7:44 am Reply with quote
Quote:
I feel sorry for Rachael. She's supposedly a villainess but she's done so little in this anime that she's never really had a chance to shine. She's almost a non-character at this point development-wise.

Rachel's original role in the game was actually explained in the LN when she was first introduced but unfortunately the anime cut most of it.
zztop

PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2022 1:12 pm Reply with quote
Aerodynamic41 wrote:
Quote:
I feel sorry for Rachael. She's supposedly a villainess but she's done so little in this anime that she's never really had a chance to shine. She's almost a non-character at this point development-wise.

Rachel's original role in the game was actually explained in the LN when she was first introduced but unfortunately the anime cut most of it.

What was Rachel's original role supposed to have been like? Did it differ from the usual love rival villainess setup?
Aerodynamic41

PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2022 5:26 pm Reply with quote
zztop wrote:
Aerodynamic41 wrote:
Quote:

What was Rachel's original role supposed to have been like? Did it differ from the usual love rival villainess setup?

I thought you already read the LN based on your previous post? Regardless, in the original game (spoilers just in case) spoiler[Rachel was someone with an inferiority complex so she spread spiteful rumors and did all sorts of petty schemes to gain attention for herself.] Recall in Episode 6 when Rachel said she wanted to become someone special. That's actually a hint to her original character.
MFrontier

PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2022 7:37 pm Reply with quote
Some great Claude and duck comedy in this episode.

I support the Rachel x Isaac ship.

So...Selena seems like she's being set up as a Villainess and potentially the main culprit, but I'm just curious what her motivations are.

That was a pretty great reveal scene of Aileen in her feminine glory. Can't wait until everybody realizes the girl they were calling ugly was quite the beauty and was there the whole time.
Thesarum

PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2022 8:20 pm Reply with quote
MFrontier wrote:
So...Selena seems like she's being set up as a Villainess and potentially the main culprit, but I'm just curious what her motivations are.

I'm moderately certain she's being manipulated. But by whom and to what end remain vital questions.

MFrontier wrote:
That was a pretty great reveal scene of Aileen in her feminine glory. Can't wait until everybody realizes the girl they were calling ugly was quite the beauty and was there the whole time.

None can stand against Eileen when she wields her villainess against them, for she will be magnificent in her terrible beauty and righteous fury.

And maybe poor Claude will get something to do too. He usually gets a moment or two to step in and throw Eileen off balance.
Saeryen

PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2022 12:21 am Reply with quote
I’m thinking Aileen’s duck suit will come off soon, at the worst and most comedic moment.
Aerodynamic41

PostPosted: Mon Nov 14, 2022 6:39 am Reply with quote
Man, they really rushed the ending of Volume 2. They totally skipped the earth dragon fight which showed that Claude can now transform into a demon at will and what happened to Serena: spoiler[Aileen handed Serena to the palace to be a maidservant to keep Lilia in check and Serena was humiliated by the other characters there. Claude even tossed her into a cesspit lol].
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3