• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: Bleach: Thousand-Year Blood War

Goto page   Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MFrontier

PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2022 5:00 pm Reply with quote
Never did I imagine we would finally get the return of Bleach to adapt it's final arc and that the production values would be so stupendous and a feast for the eyes. They're going big with this one after so much anticipation and hype and so far Pierrot are delivering. I want this to be how Black Clover looks when they bring it back.

None of the cast feel like they ever really left their roles, and Yamamato's new VA captures the original so very well, and I can only imagine how cathartic it was for Masakazu Morita to let loose that "Bankai" and "Getsuga Tensho" for animation again.

The new villains definitely look really interesting as we go back to the Quincies for the final antagonists. And they all look as stylish and hot as you would expect from Kubo designed characters.

Did not expect to see a Tres Bestia showcase, but that was a lot of fun. Of course they still lost, but at least they got to do some stuff.
NeverConvex
Subscriber

PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2022 5:53 pm Reply with quote
Did they ever finish the Vizard arc in anime form, or did it just kind of suddenly end midway?

Review wrote:
I still couldn't tell you anything about the guy besides him having a cool sword

He had a solid moustache. May it never droop.
doubleO7

PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2022 6:44 pm Reply with quote
NeverConvex wrote:
Did they ever finish the Vizard arc in anime form, or did it just kind of suddenly end midway?

Everything was been adapted up to the Thousand Year Blood War arc. The Vizard/Arrancar arc was the middle part of the old series. It's there in it's entirety, though split up by some filler arcs.
NeverConvex
Subscriber

PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2022 7:21 pm Reply with quote
doubleO7 wrote:
NeverConvex wrote:

Everything was been adapted up to the Thousand Year Blood War arc. The Vizard/Arrancar arc was the middle part of the old series. It's there in it's entirety, though split up by some filler arcs.

Oh, thanks -- must just be my memory, then.
Minos_Kurumada

PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2022 7:48 pm Reply with quote
NeverConvex wrote:

This question its funny because both the Vizard arc was both completed in anime and ended midway because Bleach falling ratings.
Gem-Bug

PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2022 10:48 pm Reply with quote
Pretty good so far; there's already been a few added scenes that I'm not super into, but everything looks top notch. One really cool thing of note is that they seem to be using the manga volume poems(along with their visual)as the next episode previews. Pretty slick.
Bob the Blob

PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2022 6:28 am Reply with quote
As someone who has only ever had a passing interest in Bleach, I've been completely blown away by the return series so far. While I had my issues with the storytelling in Bleach in the past, I'm now convinced that my main issue with it was the adaptation of the main show. If they ever decided to remake everything up to this arc with this same level of production value and pacing, I'm confident I would thoroughly enjoy Bleach.
danpmss

PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2022 9:16 am Reply with quote
Can't wait for the later parts of this arc, I've been hearing Kubo is expanding upon it to be the way he intended and couldn't do it in the manga (it got axed and had a radical change of pacing that finished everything very poorly back then, to my displeasure, since this was my favorite arc even above Soul Society up to that point... glacial weekly pacing and hiccups aside).

So far the adaptation is splendid, only missing some minor things (two of which I kinda cared a bit more than the others, which would be Ishida telling Ichigo about his speculation regarding the two novice shinigami in Karakura, as well as the neat little exchange between Byakuya and Renji during the funeral, which made for a sadder scene (they talked about how much Sasakibe meant to him and how it was the first time he used his bankai, since he was kinda hiding in the ranks to be his vice and not become a captain iirc).

It's not exactly essential, but it was a nice extra information about a character just killed in action (nothing important was really lost overall, but still, it was a good scene).
JoelBurger

PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2022 11:15 am Reply with quote
Definitely would've rather had Byakuya's eulogy than Yhwach and pals moving comically slowly in Hueco Mundo.
Gem-Bug

PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2022 12:26 pm Reply with quote
danpmss wrote:
I've been hearing Kubo is expanding upon it to be the way he intended and couldn't do it in the manga

Like, officially? And if so, where?
danpmss

PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2022 2:31 pm Reply with quote
Gem-Bug wrote:
danpmss wrote:
I've been hearing Kubo is expanding upon it to be the way he intended and couldn't do it in the manga

Like, officially? And if so, where?

Yeah, officially, and there was an article that touched on that even in here some months ago.

You should find it in the Bleach page under News, it was one particularly about this anime after the Jump Festa if I recall correctly.

I haven't personally seen him outright saying it, but I definitely saw some quote around those affirmations both here and elsewhere.
Unculturedman

PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2022 5:30 pm Reply with quote
I suppose things are still subject to change, but to me it’s become abundantly clear from these two episodes, the opening, the ending cards being volume poems, that it will be incredibly accurate and faithful to the manga. These two episodes had new content, but also cut content as well. The new content in episode 2 I found extremely underwhelming. A 30 second scene showing something that we could’ve figured happened that barely added anything to the scenario. Seems like the only significant content added will be the fights. New story scenes will likely be paltry and uninteresting. The series will be an audiovisual delight to be sure- Bleach (manga and anime) always has been. The issue for me has always been poor narrative development and characterization, and this adaptation seems uninterested in rectifying that.
flamemasterelan

PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2022 7:27 pm Reply with quote
Unculturedman wrote:
I suppose things are still subject to change, but to me it’s become abundantly clear from these two episodes, the opening, the ending cards being volume poems, that it will be incredibly accurate and faithful to the manga. These two episodes had new content, but also cut content as well. The new content in episode 2 I found extremely underwhelming. A 30 second scene showing something that we could’ve figured happened that barely added anything to the scenario. Seems like the only significant content added will be the fights. New story scenes will likely be paltry and uninteresting. The series will be an audiovisual delight to be sure- Bleach (manga and anime) always has been. The issue for me has always been poor narrative development and characterization, and this adaptation seems uninterested in rectifying that.

I feel like expecting the early parts of the arc to be an indication of what will change in the latter parts is a rather shallow observation? If Tite Kubo was rushed to wrap things up - whether it be from threat of cancellation or just being done with the weekly grind at that point - it would have been during the latter half of the arc that he was forced to make cuts to his intended story, and would be where things needed the most fleshing out.

I'm not saying that there will be huge changes, just that you're jumping the gun with your disappointment in that regard.
NobaraBG

PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2022 7:33 pm Reply with quote
It's been a hot minute since I've watched Bleach. Can anyone point me to a good article or some such that can bring me up to speed for this new season?
db999

PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2022 7:40 pm Reply with quote
NobaraBG wrote:
It's been a hot minute since I've watched Bleach. Can anyone point me to a good article or some such that can bring me up to speed for this new season?

There's the Jump Festa recap video on YouTube you could check out. It's all in Japanese with no subtitles but it gives through the entirety of the Canon anime storyline with 5 of the opening themes from the series playing in the background.. its around 15 minutes long
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page   Next
Page 1 of 12