• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
(The) Iceblade Sorcerer Shall Rule the World (TV).

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tony K.
Subscriber

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2023 5:26 pm Reply with quote

(The) Iceblade Sorcerer Shall Rule the World (TV)

Source: Light Novel (ongoing @ 7 Volumes, written by Nana Mikoshiba, illustrated by Riko Korie)

Demographic: Shounen

Animation Studio:
Cloud Hearts
Yokohama Animation Production

Genres: action, fantasy

Themes: school, sorcery

Plot Summary: The Iceblade Sorcerer is hailed as the most powerful sorcerer in the world. The one who inherited this title, Ray White, struggles to deal with his own immense power. After fighting in the Far East War, his last accomplishment, he vanished from the battlefield along with a deeply scarred psyche. Three years have passed since then, and Ray has enrolled at the Arnold Academy of Magic, a school attended by elite sorcerers from around the world.

Ray is the first "Ordinary" to attend this academy since it was founded, so he's greeted by looks of scorn and contempt from its noble-born students. And now, he and the priceless friends he has found there are about to become entangled in multiple schemes. So begins the story of the most powerful sorcerer's school life filled with both friendship and hardship.

Air Date & Platform:
January 5, 2023 (Thursday)
Available on: Crunchyroll

Episode Count / Runtime: 12 episodes

Last edited by Tony K. on Wed Apr 05, 2023 12:00 pm; edited 4 times in total
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2023 6:47 pm Reply with quote
Episode 1

I almost didn't sample this one because in addition to getting a bit burnt out on isekai shows, I'm also weary of "magical academy" shows. Especially ones where the protag is supposedly an ordinary joe or theoretically weak yet is actually god-like. However, there was something likeable about watching this even though nothing terribly exciting happened and it was mostly just our polite MC going around meeting people. Can't say I'll long haul this one, but I'll definitely check out more.
Edjwald

PostPosted: Sat Jan 07, 2023 3:59 pm Reply with quote
I haven't read whatever manga or light novel this is based on, but the plot very much reminds me of a light novel called (and this should be about 90% accurate) *The Greatest Magicmaster's Retirement Plan* And while this show isn't an isekai, it does sort of beg the question when is an isekai not an isekai? There should be a sub category for isekai-like shows where there isn't a world transfer. Near Missekai.

I'll give it another episode to see if it basically plays out like that something/something Gold Crest anime. If the narrator's bland restraint is a result of trauma or military discipline, and the show develops some tension in that regard, I might give it a shot. If it's all perfection on parade and no real tension because the narrator never really gets challenged except by his inability to deal with a growing harem, I'll probably get bored with it.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Sat Jan 07, 2023 7:22 pm Reply with quote
My own tendency when their is no transfer involved is just to view the genre as fantasy. I consider isekai a fantasy subgenre. I was thinking this earlier today but there are a few different transfer methods:

1) Swap. This is where the transferee retains his or her original Earth body and is simply sent to another world.

2) New Body. Transferee has all (or some) of Earth memories, but is in a new body, that when ti comes to male characters, tends to look suspiciously like their original bodies.

3) Reincarnation. Transferee is reborn as an infant. I guess this is a subset of the New Body method.
smurky turkey

PostPosted: Thu Mar 23, 2023 2:18 pm Reply with quote
And thus the series ended and given the ending I would not be surprised to see a second season. It was a mediocre series but it had a few interesting bits like Albert going from weak arrogant noble to stronger actually decent guy.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Thu Mar 23, 2023 8:11 pm Reply with quote
Episode 12, Finale

Man, the name Lieselotte was popular this season. Mind you, this show waited until the very last episode to unveil her, but there you go. This is one of the shows I probably should have dropped but you know what? Even with rating it So-so, I would probably watch a second season. I can't explain why there is something about this show that made me carry on with it. Ah, the mystery of anime...
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1