• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Crunchyroll Reveals Vinland Saga 2nd Season Anime's English Dub Cast, Premiere

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MarshalBanana

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2023 5:51 pm Reply with quote
It's good for the dub that season 2 has a lot of new characters and a fair few that won't be returning from season 1, meaning they won't have to bring a huge amount of people back and can easily cast a large number of people from their own talent pool for new characters(and Josh Grelle being Funimation made that part easy as well).
MFrontier

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2023 6:53 pm Reply with quote
That's cool they brought back the Sentai VA's and the new VA's seem like great fits for their characters (Lotta goes from Chitoge to Hori).

Is it safe to assume that Netflix will bring back the VA's from their own dub when they upload the dub of season 2?
Ak Animax

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2023 11:30 pm Reply with quote
I knew it they will do it before Netflix

But I will wait for the Best one
Anime catgrin The English dub produced by VSI studio
Which got better quality and the Netflix dub will be produced under union Smile
louis6578

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2023 5:19 am Reply with quote
I went onto Netflix to check out a few episodes of the dub. I wasn't impressed by Askeladd, the most important character to nail acting-wise. Hopefully the dub of season 2 will be better.
Levonr

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2023 7:01 pm Reply with quote
I prefer the Netflix dub but season 2 so far is mostly new characters so probably not that jarring for me to watch with a different group of actors.
MarshalBanana

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2023 4:07 am Reply with quote
louis6578 wrote:
I went onto Netflix to check out a few episodes of the dub. I wasn't impressed by Askeladd, the most important character to nail acting-wise. Hopefully the dub of season 2 will be better.
That's one of the main reasons why I prefer the other dub, David Wald is really good as Aseladd, probably his best ever performance. spoiler[Though Netflix won't have that issue in season 2.]
KitKat1721

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2023 4:46 pm Reply with quote
I stuck with the sub and didn't watch either dub outside of some clips here and there, but it seems like the biggest negative against the Sentai dub as a whole was the sound mixing compared to Netflix. Or at least that was the common thread I noticed beyond some people preferring certain performances over others (i.e. I've seen lots of praise for David Wald's Askeladd from Sentai's dub, Laura Stahl as young Thorfinn in Netflix's, etc...) So hopefully that won't be too much of an issue given that S2 is being recorded in a different studio by a different team?
Gem-Bug

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2023 12:08 am Reply with quote
I had no idea there were two dubs until now. That said, I must've watched the Netflix one because I think Kirk Thornton's Askeladd is excellent and kind of synonymous with the character for me. Naoya Uchida sounds older and David Wald sounds younger, but all three really do the best they can.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1