• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: My Home Hero

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MFrontier

PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2023 8:25 pm Reply with quote
A ride or die husband and wife trying to outwit Yakuza after the husband killed their daughters' abusive boyfriend is not an anime I expected to watch but it's got me hooked.

Also it's just refreshing to hear Junichi Suwabe just voice...a regular dude. Just a normal husband and father who cares about his family, aside from how he seems like a hardcore mystery buff who is surprisingly good at covering his tracks. Though his wife also seems very intelligent and on top of things.
-Matthew-

PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2023 8:30 am Reply with quote
What an amazing series...
MFrontier

PostPosted: Mon Apr 24, 2023 8:46 am Reply with quote
I do agree Tetsuo is probably shooting himself in the foot by not involving his wife in his current dealings even if I understand the notion of why he wouldn't want to involve his family any more than they already have been. But it seems like the main thrust now is his relationship with Kyoichi and the two of them keeping each other on their toes.

Although it was kind of funny for Tetsuo to find more reasons to kill Nobuto (treating his daughter as a side-piece he was just using and complained about to his actual girlfriend) after he had already killed him. I do feel a bit bad for Hibiki though, it seems like she genuinely loved him.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Sun Apr 30, 2023 6:34 pm Reply with quote
It took me til the end of Ep 3 to finally get fully on board with this, but they've hooked me now.

Quote:
Using the hat to hide his head injury is a little too proactive for his bumbling idiot persona. ... People will remember the hat and not the face

Well, that's sure the truth, since I didn't realize the person he went to the host club with was Kyouichi, having never seen him without his ballcap before, and I kept wondering who he was. Embarassed But I think it would be pretty normal to use a hat (maybe not such a dorky one) to hide a weird transparent skull cap, just to save the embarrassment of how it looks.

Suwabe (Tetsuo) and Miki (Matori) sure are killing it with their performances in this, not to mention Sayaka Ohara, Abyss's Ozen, as Kasen.
MFrontier

PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2023 3:47 pm Reply with quote
Really curious to see more of Tetsuo and Kasen's past, because it seemed pretty serious as far as the dynamic with her parents even if their romance was as simple as "met and fell in love in college drama club."

Will Tabata pay the price for getting involved in covering up his old college buddies' crime?

Tetsuo is getting in deeper with this organized crime group and now has a "relationship" with Nobuto's dad. But I'd been waiting for the two dads to meet this whole time.
SaneSavantElla

PostPosted: Fri May 05, 2023 8:38 am Reply with quote
EP5 really dropped a lot of background. It's probably Kasen's family the yakuza is targeting Reika for -- the inheritance, that is. And for them to go to that much effort, that family must be filthy rich, and probably didn't want Kasen to marry Tetsuo due to the difference in social status. Though it seemed it did work out for them eventually, noting that Tabata called Tetsuo "Naeba-senpai", which means Tetsuo married into Kasen's family! She must have been the heir of a family business.
MFrontier

PostPosted: Tue May 09, 2023 2:10 pm Reply with quote
Kasen really is the MVP of this show. Holding her own against Kyoichi and slipping him a laxative...well, and her husband, but still!

I hope Reika doesn't screw them up.
Aerdra

PostPosted: Wed May 17, 2023 3:10 am Reply with quote
The Tosu couple put in action a plan to frame Kyōichi for the murder of Nobuto that, if successful, would get him (and his mother) killed. They're entering morally dark territory now. Well, the murder of Nobuto wasn't exactly an act of righteousness either, but I don't feel the least bit sorry for him, nor can I empathize with his father who'd rather blame everyone else for Nobuto's problems. On the other hand, the conversation with Kyōichi's mother, revealing their past, does make Kyōichi's situation somewhat sympathetic, even if I don't agree with his life choices or his willingness to sacrifice an innocent family to achieve his goals.

Looking forward to the next episode. The cliffhangers are killing me...
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Wed May 17, 2023 10:53 pm Reply with quote
Aerdra wrote:
The cliffhangers are killing me...

I know, right? I wish more people were watching this. Maybe they are, but like me, don't really have a lot to comment about it. So far, I'm not really seeing any unrealistically stupid behavior from the main characters, nor any plot holes to carp about, so I'm kind of left with nothing to say, except "wow." Very Happy
MFrontier

PostPosted: Tue May 23, 2023 2:13 pm Reply with quote
Kyoichi was doomed the moment he didn't have a wife like Kasen backing him up.
Aerdra

PostPosted: Wed May 24, 2023 7:45 am Reply with quote
I felt tense the entire episode. When the lock-picking was not working, I felt panic rising in my own stomach. Tetsuo made a good decision even under stress. I couldn't believe how fast time flew by watching this episode.

Waiting another week for the fateful day...

Gina Szanboti wrote:
I wish more people were watching this. Maybe they are, but like me, don't really have a lot to comment about it. So far, I'm not really seeing any unrealistically stupid behavior from the main characters, nor any plot holes to carp about, so I'm kind of left with nothing to say, except "wow." Very Happy

No shounen manga superpowers, no isekai otherworldly knowledge. Protagonists older than high school students, who actually behave "realistically". A lot of people on this site have been calling for anime like this. Where is everyone?
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Thu May 25, 2023 5:12 am Reply with quote
I can't help but think that cabbie is going to be a problem. He was watching Tetsuo like a hawk the whole time.

Speaking of watching, as paranoid as Majima is, I kept feeling like he had to have some sort of surveillance cam on at least his own apt. Like a Ring, or something. But apparently not. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

9) I''m starting to feel like Kasen is the title character and not Tetsuo. Very Happy And did I forget something? When did she dig up the bones? Iirc (haven't gone back to look), Tetsuo was sweating bullets when Majima was digging around back there, so I'm assuming he didn't move them?
MFrontier

PostPosted: Tue May 30, 2023 6:12 pm Reply with quote
I feel like they've done a great job of getting us into Kyoichi's head, making him a nice parallel/contrast to Tetsuo, and making us kind of sympathize with him while at the same time still making it equally satisfying watching the Tosu's successfully frame him. Yet you still kind of feel bad for how screwed over he is. Like his boss so casually tells his subordinates to kill him. Jeez.

What can't Kasen do? Seriously, she's wife of the year.
YoshiChao

PostPosted: Thu Jun 01, 2023 1:56 am Reply with quote
"So the motive behind Nobuto getting close to Reika was to get her family's money."

Wasn't this mentioned by Nobuto in the first episode while Tetsuo is hiding in the closet listening to his phone call?
Takkun4343

PostPosted: Tue Jun 06, 2023 4:17 pm Reply with quote
I am of two perspectives on the bizarre VHS effect direction choice attributed to Kyoichi's escape scene.

The Watsonian perspective: the tracking lines, chromatic aberration and increase in noise represent the plan - both Tetsuo's of getting away with murder and the organization's of settling the matter of Nobuto's killer - being thrown into disarray thanks to Kyoichi's decision to act on his survival instincts; much like how a tape recording with such errors is, when experienced for the first time, unexpected in any given moment.

The Doylist perspective: the effects are there to hide the limited animation and are doing a very poor job of it.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2