• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: Dragon Ball Movies DVD Box Set (Movies 2-4) DVD

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Alucalb

PostPosted: Tue Mar 25, 2008 11:19 pm Reply with quote
I really liked Path To Power. I think it's a good intro for DB newcomers, though it's certainly no replacement for the original series. Which I really want on DVD. Really. Come on, Funi.
BladeDragoonZETA

PostPosted: Tue Mar 25, 2008 11:33 pm Reply with quote
Alucalb wrote:
I really liked Path To Power. I think it's a good intro for DB newcomers, though it's certainly no replacement for the original series. Which I really want on DVD. Really. Come on, Funi.

*nods* you said it.
Son-kun

PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2008 1:38 am Reply with quote
Agreed. Hopefully they'll start re-releasing their 2 disc sets. Just none of this faux "remastered" widescreen nonsense.

I pretty much agree with general review though. I have all of the DB manga, so the Movie Box Set just makes a nice supplement for my DB anime fix. Same with the DBZ films and specials.
ankoku22

PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2008 7:43 am Reply with quote
Quote:
Spelling Bulma's name Bulma derails a joke hinging on the meaning of her Japanese name (properly spelled, Buruma is the Japanese version of the English word "bloomer").

Actually "Bulma" is the correct romanized spelling for that character's name. Whenever she is shown wearing a hat or t-shirt with her name on it in Toriyama's original manga or in various anime episodes, it is spelled as "Bulma". Although, it is pronounced "buruma" when spoken in Japanese (similar to how Death Note's "Light" is pronounced "Raito" in Japan, among other examples I could mention). As for the Krillin/Kuririn thing, I believe they use "Krillin" because it's easier to pronounce for Western audiences.
Case

PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2008 4:18 pm Reply with quote
Why would they exclude the first movie from this set? Of all of them, that was probably my favorite one.

Anyone know?
Kiyomaro

PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2008 4:51 pm Reply with quote
Case wrote:
Why would they exclude the first movie from this set? Of all of them, that was probably my favorite one.

Anyone know?

KidMark most likely still have the rights to it. FUNi could possibly hve the rights to dub it, just not release it.
Zac
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2008 5:46 pm Reply with quote
Case wrote:

Anyone know?

If it has footage from the first 13 episodes of the show then they wouldn't be able to release it since those rights are to this day still held by someone else.
penguintruth

PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2008 9:56 pm Reply with quote
I personally enjoyed movie 3, to a point, though I agree it suffers greatly from trying to cram so much into an itty-bitty 50 minute time frame. If it had been two hours, it might have pulled it off. Especially enjoyable was the training montage to "Makafushigi Adventure!" and the fight between Goku, Arale, and Tao Pai Pai. I bought it in VHS some time back, before I had a DVD player. I think, though, that I would prefer owning the DVD saga sets of the TV series.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1