• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Shelf Life - The Nana Diaries

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ikillchicken

PostPosted: Sun Apr 06, 2008 11:13 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Earlier today, I stopped by Morro Bay and wandered into a gift shop with an entire wall of “fantasy and animal t-shirts.” Embracing the irony and kitsch value of it, my friend and I decided to buy wolf t-shirts. Yes. I'm now one of them. I can't wait to pose in front of Hearst Castle with it on.

Oh god no! You mean you've become a...wear-wolf!

Wow, that was corny even by my standards. Sorry.
TsukasaElkKite

PostPosted: Sun Apr 06, 2008 11:19 pm Reply with quote
That guy has SO MUCH MANGA! <3_<3

Jealousy: I have it.
ilkz

PostPosted: Sun Apr 06, 2008 11:21 pm Reply with quote
Today's shelf is percent by... SUPER FIGHTING ROBOT MANGAMAN!!!
LydiaDianne

PostPosted: Sun Apr 06, 2008 11:38 pm Reply with quote
ikillchicken wrote:
Quote:
Earlier today, I stopped by Morro Bay and wandered into a gift shop with an entire wall of “fantasy and animal t-shirts.” Embracing the irony and kitsch value of it, my friend and I decided to buy wolf t-shirts. Yes. I'm now one of them. I can't wait to pose in front of Hearst Castle with it on.

Oh god no! You mean you've become a...wear-wolf!

Wow, that was corny even by my standards. Sorry.

Oh god...the pain! The pain!

Wow! NOTHING was Shelf Worthy this week?

You are one tough person to please! And I like that!
Serge

PostPosted: Mon Apr 07, 2008 12:11 am Reply with quote
"Baki the Grappler. For whatever reason, the second box set doesn't have a summary sheet inside the shrinkwrapped package"

what is on this sheet? curious.
irishninja

PostPosted: Mon Apr 07, 2008 12:27 am Reply with quote
The editor in me cries at Brian's (lack of?) organization. The geek in me cries in jealousy at the size of the collection.

Didn't someone also make an anime about NANA, to go with the manga and live-action? If so, when does it release?
ANN_Bamboo
ANN Contributor

PostPosted: Mon Apr 07, 2008 12:28 am Reply with quote
Serge wrote:
"Baki the Grappler. For whatever reason, the second box set doesn't have a summary sheet inside the shrinkwrapped package"

what is on this sheet? curious.

It doesn't have one.

Most boxsets or artboxes will come with a sheet inside the shrinkwrap that gives a teaser, as well as run time, etc. It's just basic back-of-the-box info, but because they can't have that on an artbox, they stick it on an insert sheet and put that inside the wrap.
kyokun703

PostPosted: Mon Apr 07, 2008 12:32 am Reply with quote
irishninja wrote:

Didn't someone also make an anime about NANA, to go with the manga and live-action? If so, when does it release?

There's a 47 ep anime in Japan, but it hasn't been licensed in the US yet, sadly.
Murasakisuishou

PostPosted: Mon Apr 07, 2008 12:36 am Reply with quote
kyokun703 wrote:
irishninja wrote:

There's a 47 ep anime in Japan, but it hasn't been licensed in the US yet, sadly.

I think Viz licensed it, but there's been no word on a release date.

And I just don't know what people see in the NANA movie. I thought it was horrible. The acting was nearly unbearable, and it looked like it had been shot by amateur college students or something. Of course, I saw the anime first, and the anime is extremely good, so that might be why I detest the movies so.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Bara_Megami

PostPosted: Mon Apr 07, 2008 12:39 am Reply with quote
The first thing that jumps out at me looking at that manga shelf is "That's a dude". He buys more of the "manly" series that, if I had the disposable income, would like to buy too. But being a woman, my money goes to yaoi/what little josei is released in English (surprisingly few Shoujo Beat titles - in fact, only Absolute Boyfriend and Kamikaze Girls) Anime hyper

Not saying that those series are exclusively for men before anyone tries to smack me for being sexist. Heck, I want to read everything I already haven't already on his shelf!! Even Battle Vixens! Really!
Randall Miyashiro

PostPosted: Mon Apr 07, 2008 12:45 am Reply with quote
Murasakisuishou wrote:

I think Viz licensed it, but there's been no word on a release date.

They also seem to be sitting on the Honey and Clover anime license. To make matters worse there Maison Ikkoku volumes 5 and 8 have been out of stock for over a year and I've seen both go for over $100 on eBay. Full Moon also seems to have been stopped as well. With all of Viz's efforts in shonen series (although Hikaru no Go and Prince of Tennis are also on hiatus) I wonder if we will ever see more quality drama from them.
suna_suna

PostPosted: Mon Apr 07, 2008 12:57 am Reply with quote
this needs to be restated, damn that's alot of manga!
stevek504

PostPosted: Mon Apr 07, 2008 1:23 am Reply with quote
suna_suna wrote:
this needs to be restated, damn that's alot of manga!

OMG, that is a lot of manga. What gets me the most is that I think I have a fair amount of manga, but NONE Shocked of my titles overlap what is shown! We must travel in very different circles as I have not heard of half of these titles. One thing you could say, there is boatloads of manga out there - something for everyone.
n0stranger

PostPosted: Mon Apr 07, 2008 2:39 am Reply with quote
I've got about that much manga.. Maybe a little less, I sent in a picture back in like, August(I think there was 700+ in the ones I sent then, but like most people it's grown since), but it never got posted? In any case, yeah there's some questionable choices in there but what the hell, no berserk???? It seems like something he'd like just based on what he's got.

EDIT: Okay yeah, I found the pic I sent in. I had around the same if not more at that point actually, so I wonder why it never got posted, oh well whatevs.
UtenaAnthy

PostPosted: Mon Apr 07, 2008 3:11 am Reply with quote
What if really cold weather hits and they have to burn their collection to survive?

Nice shelf life Bamboo Dong, You've actually managed to make me curious about Zegapain now.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3