• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Man Buried by Manga Discovered Dead After Quake

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
daxomni

PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2008 4:43 am Reply with quote
What a sweet story. Now I don't have to feel so bad when folks post pictures of their massive collections. I can just hope they're on the West Coast when the big one comes. A lot of good your collection will do you when it's sitting on your chest. Muahahahaha! Twisted Evil

Quote:
However, a June 15 autopsy was inconclusive, which left open the possibility that the man died from non-earthquake causes.

I hope to die from "non-earthquake causes" some day. Mr. Green
dtm42

PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2008 4:44 am Reply with quote
Wow, I thought I would have heard some mention of this in the news. Getting crushed by your own Manga would be a tragic way to go.
calimike

PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2008 4:54 am Reply with quote
Next time they throw manga and other in trash bin Twisted Evil
GATSU

PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2008 4:57 am Reply with quote
Looks like ten
people died in that quake so far. It's sad, coming after that recent knife/truck attack.
icepick314

PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2008 5:23 am Reply with quote
why does this sound like a bad plot from ROD?

and no...i don't throw away manga and books....although i don't have enough to bury me alive....

DVDs are another story....
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number
BleuVII

PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2008 6:15 am Reply with quote
Let this lesson be learned. Manga causes deaths. I think we should outlaw it.
elsie

PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2008 7:04 am Reply with quote
Actually, isn't that how Ed and Al met Sciezka in Fullmetal Alchemist? By digging her out from a bookfall?
icepick314

PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2008 7:13 am Reply with quote
elsie wrote:
Actually, isn't that how Ed and Al met Sciezka in Fullmetal Alchemist? By digging her out from a bookfall?

but it's not funny when it happens in real life....

remember...it's funny till someone gets hurt....
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number
Randall Miyashiro

PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2008 7:30 am Reply with quote
I'm a bit afraid since San Francisco is also earthquake prone and three of my four walls look like this, this, and this

My ceiling is about 12 feet high and many of my 6-7' high shelves have stuff stacked on top of them. To make matters worse most of my books on my shelves are hardcovers with my paperbacks sitting in storage in the garage.
Viga_of_stars

PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2008 7:53 am Reply with quote
In a few years that will be my collection.

An ideal way and likely way for me to go.
minakichan

PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2008 8:05 am Reply with quote
Randall Miyashiro wrote:
I'm a bit afraid since San Francisco is also earthquake prone and three of my four walls look like this, this, and this

My ceiling is about 12 feet high and many of my 6-7' high shelves have stuff stacked on top of them. To make matters worse most of my books on my shelves are hardcovers with my paperbacks sitting in storage in the garage.

YOU'RE JUST SHOWING OFF! Anime hyper

Would it be really crass of me to say "Being buried alive by manga. Best. Death. Ever."? It would, wouldn't it. ._. Right, I'll just stick with "How nice it'd be to have that much manga."
DuelLadyS

PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2008 8:13 am Reply with quote
Randall Miyashiro wrote:

At least it's on shelves, though- that should give you enough time to get to the doorway and brace yourself before things start coming down.

I'm under the impression this guy just had piles, with no storage furniture to provide support. (Let that be a lesson to all to find a proper way to handle your collection, precarious stacks are deadly!)

In all honesty though, it is tragic- my condolences to his family.
Randall Miyashiro

PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2008 8:27 am Reply with quote
In all sincerity I will add that this is indeed a tragedy. The last big quake here in October 1989 was around the same magnitude (I think a little under 7) and it was one of the scariest moments that I have experienced. Shelves didn't really help me then either as almost every book that wasn't on the bottom shelf ended up flying to the floor. Rather then risk crossing the path of a falling shelf to duck under a desk or door frame I decided to stay in bed (I was sleeping at 5PM for some reason I can't remember). I seriously think about this occasionally.
DavidShallcross

PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2008 9:34 am Reply with quote
Randall Miyashiro wrote:
I'm a bit afraid since San Francisco is also earthquake prone and .....
My ceiling is about 12 feet high and many of my 6-7' high shelves have stuff stacked on top of them.

I seriously hope you at least have the bookcases bolted to the walls. I believe this is recommended for earthquake-prone areas. If you are a renter, talk to the landlord about allowing this for reasons of safety.
v1cious

PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2008 10:10 am Reply with quote
i don't want to laugh as it's a horrible tragedy, but the irony is just too much. it sounds like something out of... well... a gag manga Laughing
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4