• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: New Regency Drops Voltron Film, Relativity May Pick Up

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
GATSU

PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2008 1:56 am Reply with quote
Quote:
The newspaper now reports that New Regency never completed the deal and could not reach an agreement with Voltron's Japanese rights holders.

More Toei stupidity, huh? Oh, well, their loss.
ABetterTimeandPlace

PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2008 2:02 am Reply with quote
GATSU wrote:
More Toei stupidity, huh? Oh, well, their loss.

It just as easily could have been New Regency's fault--New Regency could have thought that Toei would give away their rights for a song.
GATSU

PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2008 2:38 am Reply with quote
Well, if Toei was smart, they would give away their rights cheap, since they seem so desperate to establish themselves here.
ABetterTimeandPlace

PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2008 2:47 am Reply with quote
GATSU wrote:
Well, if Toei was smart, they would give away their rights cheap, since they seem so desperate to establish themselves here.

Or it can be the worse thing they do if they're taken for a ride.
GATSU

PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2008 4:42 am Reply with quote
That hasn't stopped them from doing deals with DiC. Rolling Eyes
ABetterTimeandPlace

PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2008 5:32 am Reply with quote
GATSU wrote:
That hasn't stopped them from doing deals with DiC. Rolling Eyes

Um, "HAD," in the past tense. Lesson learned. Wink
melonbread

PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2008 8:18 am Reply with quote
Relativity did Wanted eh, that seemed big budget enough to me, and I loved it, so I don't think it really matters if production companies have changed. Probably better if Fox don't have input, a smaller company might be less likely to muck up the original story (that's probably bullshit).
GMSenpai

PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2008 8:37 am Reply with quote
A potentially bad live action project goes under? I'm not shedding tears.
yojimboray

PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2008 5:45 pm Reply with quote
GATSU wrote:

Let's see...
The Street Fighter II, Speed Racer, and Guyver (straight to DVD) live-action movies- yeah, Hollywood has a great track record of doing wonderful things with anime properties. What was Toei thinking?
Zin5ki

PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2008 5:53 pm Reply with quote
GMSenpai wrote:
A potentially bad live action project goes under? I'm not shedding tears.

Couldn't have said it better myself.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Dark Elf Warrior

PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2008 7:08 pm Reply with quote
Transformers may have did well, but I heard Speed Racer flopped. Voltron could end up being another flop. Why? Because they will Amercanize it, as if it was never Japenese. If they were to make a live action movie of Voltron, I would want to see Akira, Princess Fahra and Prince Syncline, not some messed up American characters created specifically for the movie. And in my opinion, you can't have Voltron without the original pilots, are the villains. Prince Syncline would mae the movie exciting.
GATSU

PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2008 8:13 pm Reply with quote
yojimbo:
Quote:
The Street Fighter II, Speed Racer, and Guyver (straight to DVD) live-action movies- yeah, Hollywood has a great track record of doing wonderful things with anime properties.

First off, SF II wasn't an adaptation of an anime. Second of all, Guyver was pretty good for the FX of the time. You wanna go hating, complain about the live-action Hokuto No Ken. Third, people liked Speed Racer, and the FX were actually decent; it's the story which failed. And I don't see how tough it can be for Hollywood to do Voltron, when Japan's been doing it for years with those Rangers shows.

Dark Elf: Speed Racer didn't flop, just disappointed. It'll make the rest of its money on dvd. Also, other than Japanese characters, Speed Racer wasn't very Japanese.
enurtsol

PostPosted: Tue Aug 19, 2008 5:00 am Reply with quote
GATSU wrote:

Dark Elf: Speed Racer didn't flop, just disappointed. It'll make the rest of its money on dvd. Also, other than Japanese characters, Speed Racer wasn't very Japanese.

Besides, nobody in the West remembers Japanese "Speed Racer" (Mach Go Go) or "Voltron" (GoLion) anyways, just like nobody remembers that Transformers were based on Japanese toys and there are Japanese-produced series. These new movies are made for nostalgia, and that wouldn't work if nobody remembers.
Vicserr

PostPosted: Tue Aug 19, 2008 3:23 pm Reply with quote
As always I'll wait if and when the movie is in the can and scheduled to decide if it's the greatest movie ever or the biggest piece of guano ever put to the screen.

And remember people Voltron is better know in these shores than GoLion ever was I'm sorry to say, I'll be happy if they manage to do a half decent job although it's going to be weird having it on a post apocalyptic Earth instead of Arus (Althea).
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime
enurtsol

PostPosted: Tue Aug 19, 2008 3:31 pm Reply with quote
Vicserr wrote:

And remember people Voltron is better know in these shores than GoLion ever was I'm sorry to say,

Voltron is better known in America than even GoLion is in Japan. The Japanese are probably wondering why Americans are so fixated by it - to them, it's just one of many super robot shows (to Americans, it's the super robot show).
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1