• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Your Top 10 / Worst 5 things. Why? (w/ index).

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
XREJECTZX

PostPosted: Tue Aug 12, 2008 9:56 pm Reply with quote
Reject's Top 10 Fav Anime of all time and 5 Worst Anime of all time

#1. Ef A Tale of Memories: This anime had it all. Superb camera work, amazing animation, great plot, and the love triangle makes this my favorite anime of all time.

#2 Fooly Cooly: This anime was a masterpiece. One of the few masterpieces in anime. That said it all.

Other than Ef and FLCL, no other anime that I have watched deserves to be in my top 10 list, but since this is top 10 best I'll add 8 more animes that were mildly interesting.

#3. Beck Mongolian Chop Squad: This anime's beginning was great. Beck had everything going for it. The characters, the music, the setting, the anime's beginning was there. However, shortly after it phailed falling faster than a girl's clothes when they see me. The music was great, but that's all the anime had going for it.

#4. Shigofumi Letters of the Departed: After watching the first episode of this anime, I knew this anime was gonna be great and horrible. Shigofumi is about a girl who delivers letters from the dead to people. I loved it how each letter she delivered to a person had a special story. If the anime had continued to focus on small stories, this anime would have been excellent. However, when they start focusing on the girl delivering the letters and about her past and stuff, this anime fails.

#5. Macross Frontier: Although not over yet, I love this anime. It's definetely not awesome material, but it provides the best anime songs I have ever heard and Sheryl Nome. Action sequences are overused, same continuous Macross theme, but still has my vote as best new anime out this year. I haven't watched many new anime out this yearXD.

#6. Full Metal Alchemist: I'm not really into action anime, more into romance and comedies but this anime is one of the best action animes hands down. This anime provides somewhat of an original idea that is new to anime. I can't really say anything bad about this anime, it's awesome.

#7. Any of Miyazaki's films: Miyazaki has succeeded at life. He has provided me entertainment and amazement. His works are a masterpiece. I know everyone has seen at least one of his works so I won't go too much into detail but this rank is too low for Miyazaki. Miyazaki films are the only animes that I feel people are underating.

Anyways since I don't have much time left these next 3 will be fillers.

[EDIT: Fill in the gaps of those other titles when you have time. -TK]
Kenikki

PostPosted: Wed Aug 13, 2008 9:05 am Reply with quote
Best:

1. Rurouni Kenshin: Trust & Betreyal: This one has great character with great character intereactions. It has the best fights I've seen so far and a terrific story to boot. Kenshin's development through the movie is superb and it shows his background, as to why he became a rurouni, amazingly. It doesn't hurt that the soundtrack is absolutely awesome as well.

2. Neon Genesis Evangelion: I love psychology and I love the fact that basicly everyone in this show has some serious emotional problem somehow. The mecha fights are also very good. Short and still fulfilling. One other thing I like about this show is the smaller philosophical topics it brings up instead of just having one topic that surrounds the show.

3. Fullmetal Alchemist: Great characters, great character interactions, probably the best setting out there, terrific story, some very striking emotional scenes, fights so good they're basicly dizzying, incredible soundtrack and always topnotch animation. That's why I like this one.

4. Kimi ga Nozomu Eien: A really painful and still heartfilling series. It's also nice that it can make you cheer for either girl. The first time I watched it I was cheering for Haruka, but the second time I thought that Mitsuki was a clear choice. spoiler[Also, the goodbye speech in the final episode is one of the most moving scenes I've seen.]

5. Azumanga Daioh: This show has the best collection of characters ever and they work so incredibly great together. As far as I know it's the original of the school day slice-of-life and nothing has done it better than this one. (Although Lucky Star was also very good.)

6. Sexy Commando: I don't think I have ever seen a comedy series quite as weird as this one. Not even South Park, Aqua Teen Hunger Force or Metalocalypse beats it in weirdness. And that's the biggest reason to why it's so high up on my list. I love when comedies are this kind of weird.

7. Ouran High School Host Club: I love it's outrageous silly executions of it's jokes and it's over-the-top nature. It also has one of the best female leads I've seen.

8. ARIA Series (ARIA The Origination is the best one): Ths is the most heartwarming and relaxing series I have ever seen and probably will see as well. And Origination also became very emotional, which is why it's my favorite piece in the series.

9. Naruto: The story isn't that great here, but it's still very addictive and appealing. The setting is also even better than FMA's and TLA's (The Last Airbender (I know it's not an anime, but still)).

10. Baccano!: This is one of the few series/movies that has multiple storylines and the same time that actually come together in a good way. It also has one of the biggest casts for such a small show and it utilizes them so incredibly well.

Worst:

1. Comic Party: Probably the most emo character I've seen. Shinji from NGE doesn't even come close to this because he had reason for his depressions. This guy just makes a horrible, overpriced manga that no ones buys and then winds up in a spiral of depression. I have never wanted to kill a character more (Maybe Makoto from School Days...).

2. Final Approach: I hate most harem series, but this takes the price. Every single character is annoying, unrealistic and stupid and the "story" is completely retarded.

3. Love Love?: The only reason I dislike Final Approach more than this is because the characters were slightly more annoying in FA. Otherwise this would be worse than FA. I mean, I hate it when two people meet by accidently walking into each other and knocking each other over, which is used waaaaay too much in anime in general. And here it happens several times. I mean sure, you find out why kater on, but it's too little too late.

4. Ayakashi: The first ep wasn't actually that bad, but it just became worse and worse after that. The animation went down the drain in the second ep, they could never use the music right, the editing was way off all the time, the characters also started out nice but descended into stupidity and the story, which actually could have been good was turned to crap by it's own development and the poor execution of the show.

5. Dual Parallel Trouble Adventures: The premise sounded pretty promising on this one. And like several otehr shws, it started out nicely. But after like 3 eps this one also descended down the spiral of crappiness. The romance is not romantic, the jokes aren't funny, the action is lame and become more and more stupid throughout the show. Like many other shows does as well.
xgramx

PostPosted: Sun Aug 17, 2008 6:58 pm Reply with quote
Best

1. Cowboy Bebop: This was just a great series it had a great story, great characters, it had great everything. I love the mixture of different genres, I really enjoyed watching it, and it keeps me coming back and watching it again and again.

2. Gundam 00: It might not be finished yet, but season one was great. I am extremely pumped for season 2.

3. Death Note: I loved watching this showed, the whole cat and mouse feel between Light and L, made for a great show, the second part of the series was a little bit of a disappointment, but the finale made up for that.

4. Elfen Lied: This series was just fun to watch, I watched all of it in one night the first time through. I actually liked the excessive blood and gore in this series it, I felt it made the series.

5. Gundam Wing: A great gundam series. It had cool characters, alot of and a lot of action. It even had a good political aspect to it.

6. Berserk: I loved the character Guts, the series had plenty of action and a decent enough story to make my top 10.

7. Neon Genesis Evangelion: I don't see how any intelligent people can say this show was bad, I loved the psychological aspect of it. a great series.

8. Hellsing: I'm not really into vampire animes, but this was great Alucard was such a cool character.

9. Air(TV): This series was really sad, but I enjoyed watching it, the ending was confusing though, I actually liked the way the movie ended, better than the series.

10. Code Geass: This might not be finished yet, but it has been fun to watch Lelouch's character, it has a cool plot.

Worst

1. Fruits Basket: This was the dumbest thing I have ever seen, what the story is based around is just a dumb idea.

2. Naruto: I can't stand this series, I don't understand why its so popular, it is extremely boring to watch.

3. Inuyasha: This series has been in the same spot the whole time, it should have ended a long time ago, Its boring, and not going anywhere.

4. Bleach: This series is boring to watch as well, its plot is nothing special, the characters are nothing special, I don't understand how this got so popular, it has nothing going for it.

5. Final Fantasy VII Advent Children: I loved the FFVII game, but I watched this, and I thought wow this is really dumb why am I watching it, it was really confusing too.
veed

PostPosted: Sat Aug 23, 2008 10:25 pm Reply with quote
My current top 10 best anime titles:

1. SamuraiX (OVA)
A beutiful romance that takes place during the samurai era. If you’re looking for a love story, this is the one. The fight scenes are amazing too.

2. Cowboy Bebop / Knockin’ on Heaven’s Door (movie)
3. Trigun
Two action/adventure oriented series that blends in a good mix of Western and SF. Slightly episodic in nature though there is a larger story behind it all. Both series features an outstanding cast of main and secondary characters. The musical score for Bebop (by Yoko Kanno) is one of the most excellent you’ll find in anime.

4. Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann
5. Neon Genesis Evangelion / The End of Evangelion (movie)
6. Furi Kuri (OVA)
What can you expect from studio Gainax but the best of unconventional and wacky ideas. All three series are shining examples of what can be achieved in the animation medium when you gather the top talents together. The protagonists here are kids and they undergo some tough lessons in life. Gurren Lagann and Evangelion are what I term as mecha-anime while FuriKuri is a coming of age tale. Be prepared for some mind messing when you watch Evangelion and if you find yourself not understanding what’s going on, dont give up. Do some research after watching both the series and movie (which ends the series properly). You’ll find that the more you understand, the more of a fan you’ll become.

7. Gungrave
8. Berserk
Very plot-driven and extremely well executed so much so that it draws you deep into the unfolding tale of two friends (in both series). Gungrave has a mafia setting while Berserk a medieval one. Both contains elements of horror/supernatural to top it up a notch.

9. Stand Alone Complex 2nd GIG / Ghost in the Shell (movies)
10. Death Note
Tired of all the anime cliches? Check these out. Stand Alone Complex explores a possible future filled with cutting edge technology. This series was preceded by two revolutionary Ghost in the Shell movies that inspired both The Matrix and I, Robot. The story starts to kick in only during the second season (2nd GIG) so do make it through the first. Also, watch the movies first. Death Note is a supernatural thriller that involves an exciting and upbeat battle of the wits. There’re no dull moments and you’ll find yourself rooting for either one of the sides. There’s a Death Note Special too with an alternate ending. Both series contains a good amount of police action.

The ones that almost made it:

1. Samurai Champloo
2. RahXephon
These series have great strenghts but weaknesses too. Champloo boast a very unique style of samurai action sequences though the plot is a bit thin. RahXephon excels in numerous areas (such as the touching love story) but suffers from predictability because of similarities to evangelion.

I don't have a 5 worst anime titles cause if they're bad I don't complete them.
yuusha

PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2008 10:55 am Reply with quote
Best
1. Science Ninja Team Gatchaman - The perfect action series with a perfect ending. No show has ever topped Gatchaman for me

2. Cowboy Bebop - No show since has been as good. It is just that mind blowingly great.

3. Urusei Yatsura - Rumiko Takahashi has made only 2 stories with great endings that were already great before the ending, one is Maison Ikkoku the other is this.

4. Hokuto No Ken - Those that dismiss this obviously have never watched the full series, because anyoen that has watched the whole thing would know that this has one of the deepest stories in all anime/manga. All modern shonen anime/manga trace their influence to HnK

5. Space Battleship Yamato - The best example of a show that will stir men's souls.

6. Zeta Gundam - Reason No.1 why Tomino is a genius

7. Space Runaway Ideon - Reason No.2 why Tomino is a genius

8. Giant Robo - The reason that all re-imaginings of classic properties should handled by Yasuhiro Imagawa

9. Dr. Slump - Hey you know who is a comic genius? Akira F***IN' Toriyama that's who!

10. Yuusha-Ou GaoGaiGar FINAL - The BEST giant robot show of the 90's. It takes the TV series and amps it up beyond the norm. All modern super-robot shows take their cues from GGG (especially Gurren Lagann)

Worst

1. Neon Genesis Evangelion - Look I don't need a psychotic re-telling of First Gundam where Amuro Rray is replaced by an emo kid.

2. Violence Jack - How could I hate a sequel to Devilman? I mean I love almost everything Go Nagai has ever done. But this.. .this is just deplorable.

3. Gundam SEED - People like this dreck? Really?

4. Bleach - And people complain about Dragonball taking forever?

5. Appleseed Ex Machina - I'll stick to the manga thank you very much Mr. Woo

Last edited by yuusha on Wed Aug 27, 2008 7:10 pm; edited 1 time in total
Elfen12

PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2008 6:24 pm Reply with quote
<<Check>>

-Elfen12-

Last edited by Elfen12 on Wed Sep 24, 2008 12:11 am; edited 2 times in total
Shinmaru

PostPosted: Thu Aug 28, 2008 12:15 pm Reply with quote
This list changes all the time when I see new series.

1. RahXephon: I'm a total sucker for the unique love story, and I adore how it's developed throughout the series. The action is wonderful, as well -- very thrilling and beautifully animated. Great characters, too. Ayato is someone I can support, even when he makes seemingly bad decisions, since his motivations are so understandable to me. Haruka is one of my favorite ass-kicking anime ladies because her character is so well-rounded. I feel sorry for spoiler[Megumi, though, because she's practically the only character without any proper resolution. She deserved something. Sad]

2. Monster: Dr. Tenma may be my favorite anime protagonist ever. He is such a strong, uplifting and inspiring character -- probably the only thing that kept me sane during this endlessly depressing (yet amazing!) series. Something I really appreciate about Monster is that it subverts violent tendencies so well. Normally I like my characters to go out and kick some ass, but with Dr. Tenma, I wanted so badly for him to spoiler[find a way to stop Johan other than killing him, because that would have been the opposite of everything Tenma stood for.] Again, I adore the characters all around -- I shared in their pain and felt happiness with their victories, as fleeting as many of them were.

3. Ouran High School Host Club: Comedy in anime is often hit and miss for me. Much of it can be just random jokes with nothing to draw you into the characters who are the butts of the jokes. Ouran is what anime comedy should be. It is hilarious not just because the situations are funny, but also because the characters are so committed to choices that end with embarrassing results. Maybe the funniest moment in Ouran for me is when spoiler[the guys dress in drag because they believe Haruhi wants to hang around women, and they're afraid the Zuka Club will swoop in and steal Haruhi from them.] It's a total, "What were you guys thinking??" moment, but it works because the guys are totally serious about it (well, Tamaki is serious about it, anyway, haha). Ouran never fails to make me laugh and smile.

4. Cowboy Bebop: Sailor Moon was the first anime I watched. Dragon Ball Z rekindled my love for anime. Cowboy Bebop made me an anime fan for life. No other way to state it. The series is just so easygoing and free flowing that it would have been impossible for me to not fall in love with it.

5. Revolutionary Girl Utena: Climbing up my favorites list like crazy. I honestly would not be surprised if it became my favorite when I finish it (I'm through ep18 right now). Perhaps the top reason I love this show is it's without a doubt the ballsiest, most eccentric series I have ever seen. What other anime would put a nonsensical comedy episode literally two episodes after the start of a new, intriguing plotline -- and then get away with it because the episode is so ridiculously hilarious? I am also in love with how skillfully the show blends serious drama with neverending tweaking of its audience. It is the anime definition of having your cake and eating it too.

6. Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann: Just absurd, ridiculous fun. If you looked up "over the top" in the dictionary, you'd see a picture of Gurren Lagann -- and then Kamina would punch you in the face. The series is unashamed to be a vehicle for protagonists who beat the bloody hell out of their opponents in crazier and more awesome ways. Amazingly, it never gets repetitive -- maybe because it's so tongue-in-cheek -- it just gets more thrilling with each episode.

7. Clannad: I am a sap for a good love story. When I am presented with a GREAT love story, there is just no turning back. It's obvious from the outset that Tomoya and spoiler[Nagisa] are meant to be together, but the way the show slowly works toward that inevitable conclusion never feels drawn out or clumsy. It is a slow unfolding of tender love that is beautiful to watch. Also helps that the series is hilarious and has a ton of other wonderful characters. I have been told the first season of Clannad does not even cover what makes the visual novel truly great, which blows my mind.

8. Boogiepop Phantom: Really friggin' creepy. Also got to me with its depictions of maturing into adulthood and facing loneliness (I probably saw this series at the perfect time in my life, haha). People always bring this up when talking about Boogiepop, but it uses sound so damn well. The sound effects are eerie and used at just the right moments. Also has my favorite transition into commercials ever. The random jumble of rock music coupled with a sweeping view of the cosmos (especially after a particularly creepy story development) always sends a chill up my spine.

9. Genshiken: Everything I said about Ouran also holds true about Genshiken. It's funny because the characters are so dedicated to themselves and their passions. Also helps that the series is not mean-spirited in any way whatsoever. Genshiken is great at blending side-splitting humor with a general sense of attachment to the characters. Things happen in this series that would make me groan when watching anything else, but because these guys and gals are so real to me, I'm into it.

10. Neon Genesis Evangelion: I haven't watched it in a couple of years, which is maybe why it's falling a bit on my favorites list. Can't deny Eva's influence and place in anime history though. With all his faults (and there are many), I can actually genuinely identify with Shinji on some level -- a need for love and appreciation, and a desire to be of use to people. I go back and forth on whether I like the ending, but everything before that is damn good.

Honorable mentions: The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya, Death Note, Excel Saga, Chobits, Serial Experiments Lain
ashle2005

PostPosted: Sat Aug 30, 2008 12:43 am Reply with quote
Top animes
1 Inuyasha the first anime i got hooked on can't help but like it, it never ends too lol The 4th movie was disappointing though

2 Oh my goddess OVA Got hooked on it from watching these 3 dvds was a little disappointed with the 2nd tv series

3 Ai yori aoishi (not sure on the spelling) Vey cute love story
do you see the trend lol i love the cute love story and fantasy animes

4 story of saiunkoku i only got to see 3 dvds of the series though netflix has an ok anime selection but doesn't always have the whole series Sad

5 Hana yori dango (boys over flowers) I like the english voice actor of the main female character kelly sheridan she is in inuyasha and story of saiunkoku i think

6 Elfin lied not something i usually watch, but really liked it because its different

7 Initail D liked the action and music lol

8 rurouni kenshin trust and betrayal good story line,

9 Neon Genesis, Did not like the ending lol, but liked the story

10 masion ikoku, I like alot of Rumiko Takahashi's stuff Mermaid forest could have been better though

Cant really remember any that i dont like because if i dont like the first 2 episodes i dont watch it anymore. I dont buy alot of anime though because its kinda pricey so my selection is usually limited to netflix
RhymesWithEmpty

PostPosted: Mon Sep 01, 2008 5:05 pm Reply with quote
Alright, so, I'm sure my list will change over time, and I know it's full of a lot of mainstream stuff, but, hey, I like what I like! So, hopefully my reviews make sense, heh.

Top 10

10. Ouran High School Host Club

I'm usually not one for romantic comedies period, let alone in my anime – it just always seemed silly to me that people would make and watch animes if something so seemingly trivial, I always rather thought animes should be utilized for more than that. This series changed my mind. The best word I can come up with to describe it is charming. It's very endearingly silly in the beginning, and towards the end of the show, there is actually some pretty decent character development that drags you in even further. I couldn't help but fall in love with every last one of the characters, and Haruhi is the perfect female lead. Loved it!

9. Eureka 7

At first, I was like, “oh, gee, another boy-pilots-giant-robot-show, hooray!” But somewhere along the way, I realized I was hooked. I'm not really sure what it was about the show that got me, either. To be honest, some of the scripting is pretty terrible. Patrick Seitz, the voice actor for Charles Beams, and I were actually laughing about how corny one of his lines was at Anime Punch 07 – any fan of the show should know which line I mean, heh. But there's something really captivating about it. Just watching Renton growing up – he's so awkward, I think a lot of people can identify with him. I know I can Razz Some aspects of the show do seem a bit borrowed – you could get away with calling Eureka “Rei” at some points, for example. But it's actually got a good, solid premise, and the further it gets, the more complex and unique it gets. Maybe not the absolute best, but definitely worth mentioning in my top 10.

8. Lupin III

How can you not love Lupin III? Just thinking about it gets me humming the theme song. I just love Lupin and the gang's zany antics. For comedy, it doesn't get much better for me than the gentleman thief – I could watch him dupe Zenigata a million times and it wouldn't get old. It's just classic, and I don't know what else I can really say! If you don't like Lupin III, shame on you!

7. Paranoia Agent, or perhaps anything by Satoshi Kon

This is one of those series that screws with your mind in just the right way. Psychological Thriller at its best – well, of course it is, coming from Satoshi Kon! It's somehow dark, gritty, realistic, yet also high fantasy, and a bit of a comedy all at once. I'd call it one big drug trip, except a – I've never done drugs, and b – I wouldn't know whether to call it a good trip or a bad trip. But either way, it's mind blowing.

6. Trigun and Cowboy Bebop

These two are tied. I felt they both deserved to be here, but I really can't decide between the two. Trigun gets here largely because it was one of the shows that got me into anime, and I have very fond memories of it – it still retains its awesomeness and cracks me up today. And it's got a villain named Millions Knives, come on! Cowboy Bebop, on the other hand, is an anime that I got into later, but like more and more as I get older. And it's got a villain named Vicious, come on! Razz

5. Samurai X and Rurouni Kenshin up through the Shishio saga

Well, the series is another one I grew up on, as far as anime goes. It was the definition of intense for me back in the day – Kenshin vs. Aoshi, Kenshin vs. Saitoh, Kenshin vs. Sojiro, Kenshin vs. Shishio, spoiler[in which Saitoh, and then Aoshi interrupt,] all of them got my blood pumping like nothing else. But let's face it, everything after Shishio sucked. Thank god for Samurai X! So very different from the series in a lot of ways, but so incredibly beautiful. Kenshin is a classic, for me.

4. Anything by Hayao Miyazaki

Do I really have to explain this one? Everything the man has done is genius. Pure, unadulterated genius. I know plenty of people who don't even like anime, but they absolutely love Hayao Miyazaki. Just breathtaking, everything he does.

3. FLCL

What can you say about FLCL? You're either going to love it or hate it, that's for sure. It's one of those shows where I've seen every episode countless times(though, with only 6 episodes, that's an easy feat, sure), and every single time, I feel like I get something new from it. And it's definitely one of those shows you need to watch at least a few times. On the surface, it's wacky, bizarre, completely over the top, obnoxious, silly, zany, absolutely crazy – but if you're willing to watch with an open mind, and keep an eye out, you will find so much more. If you absolutely cannot get past the zaniness to see the deeper levels of meaning to it, move on, it's simply not for you.

2. Neon Genesis Evangelion

This is soooooo close to being number 1 for me – it was seriously a really close call. Eva is simply a classic, one of the greatest shows ever created. Love the psychological aspects of it – what better method of character development is there than mentally torturing your characters? And I really don't care that Shinji is the whiniest main character ever. All of the characters of this show are just unforgettable, like them or not. And I love the philosophical aspects of the show even more. So the characters are unforgettable, the storyline is steeped in fantastic philosophies and mythologies, the setting is one of the most realistic futuristic settings I've ever seen, and everything about it is just really quite mind blowing.

1. Fullmetal Alchemist

I know, I know, this is a very typical choice, and it's a very mainstream show that has perhaps overly saturated the market, but I don't care, I am absolutely, helplessly in love with it. FMA has simply sucked me in more than any other show, and I haven't so eagerly anticipated the next episode of any show quite so much as I have since the first airing of FMA, from week to week to week. For my personal tastes, this show is just perfect. I love Alchemy, the philosopher's stone, the subtle philosophical undertones of the storyline(whereas Eva just kind of smacks you in the face with it and leaves you nice and confused – not that I don't like that method, either!), the setting, all of the characters, everything. And I know some people detest the anime because it so obviously diverts from the manga, but I love both, and I love and appreciate the alternate version of the story the anime presents. One thing I actually like more about the anime is the deeper exploration of the homunculi, which brings some wonderful ambiguity into the show, and presents/strengthens the important theme that everything is not black and white. And I believe that Ed and Al's brotherly bond truly comes across wonderfully in the anime, yet they both manage to grow spectacularly as individuals as well. I have never been so attached to characters as I have been in FMA. I truly believe it deserves all of the hype it gets. Spectacular show.

Bottom 5

5. Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann

GASP!!! Egads, how can he put Gurren Lagann in his bottom 5?! Is he even allowed to do that??? Ok, so, I mostly put this here for shock value, and I don't truly believe that Gurren Lagann is one of the worst anime of all time – I quite enjoyed parts of it, really. But I do think it's one of the most overrated anime of all time, which is why I put it here. With FLCL at my #3 spot for all time favorites, I can obviously handle zany, over the top stuff, so that's not really my problem with it. I just think this show had a ton of potential that just got wasted. There were so many things I wanted to see pan out into more complex storyline and character development that just got overly simplified, yet people seem to eat it up and rave about how “epic” it is because ZOMG something ridiculous just happened. Things can be ridiculous and, at the same time, complex, but they really weren't in this show. The characterization was very jumpy, in my opinion, and often times I would be watching an episode, realize that I hadn't even seen Simon for 75% of it, and then he'd just come in and save the day at the last second. Now, Simon and a few other characters, namely Rossiu, did get some decent character development later on, but that's about it. I don't know, maybe I need to watch it again, while trying to ignore the hordes of fanboys screaming “EPIC!!!11!32!!#”

4. Wolf's Rain and Witch Hunter Robin

The only uplifting parts about Wolf's Rain, for me, were the beginning and the end – everything in between was incredibly slow and boring, from what I remember, which, admittedly, might not be much, because this show put me to sleep. The weird thing is, I actually liked a few of the characters, I think they just got placed in a really boring show. The only one who broke the tedium, for me, was the villain, Darcia, and I don't even remember what his plan was, or anything. It's a shame, it's another one of those shows I see as having had a lot of potential that never got put to use. I paired it up with Witch Hunter Robin because I had a hard time deciding which show I found to be more boring.

3. Blood +

Augh, Blood +. I had a real love-hate relationship with this show, until it finally ended, at which point, I decided that I hated it. They were always trying to juxtapose the darker aspects of the storyline, and all of the action of the show, it seemed, with a bunch of fluffy, girly, light hearted ballroom dancing nonsense, and you can tell they were hoping it would make the show seem more sophisticated, but really, it just made it more annoying. And it really didn't help that all of the other female characters aside from Saiya had incredibly annoying voices. It also didn't help that practically every character in the show was simply just incredibly annoying. Haji was cool, but that's about it, sadly. And pretty much all of the characters I wanted to die lived, and all of the characters I wanted to live died. It could have been salvaged, perhaps, if Saiya had just quit being emo a bit before the very end, but no luck. The only one who can pull that off, in my opinion, is Shinji from Eva Razz Blood + is just proof that you can take a bunch of ideas and elements I normally love, combine them, and still somehow manage to come up with something I hate.

2. .Hack//Legend of the Twilight Bracelet

Too. Much. Freaking. Chibi. My god, their voices alone made me want to rip out my ear drums. And I actually somewhat enjoyed .hack//Sign – unfortunately, this show largely turned me off from the series. A lot of it just seemed like it was very poorly ripped off from the original show. And what was up with all of that implied incest? I don't know, most everything about it just bothered me. It was annoying, unoriginal, and, frankly, just plain stupid. A waste of time, through and through.

1. The filler arcs in Naruto/Inuyasha/Bleach, etc

Dananana! The worst of the worst! Yes, it has to be this. To be honest, none of these shows are that great, anyways(although I'll admit the shonen in me has gotten hooked on watching the actual storyline related episodes of Bleach, for the fights Razz), which just means that their filler arcs are even worse. Did anyone really like the Bount arc in Bleach? Really? It was so bad. I also just love how they have given absolutely no explanation for the jump into the new Bleach filler arc. Straight from fighting the bad guys to being back home, no real transition whatsoever. And Inuyasha is practically all filler – the actual storyline is more like the filler by the time the show concludes. I won't even get started on Naruto. And, of course, there are a number of other filler-laden anime I could mention here, but I don't think I really need to create an exhaustive list. The point is, filler is almost always terrible, and the longer it goes on, the worse it gets. In my opinion, they might as well just pause Bleach while waiting for Tite Kubo to write more of the manga, because I'm not going to watch the new filler arc anyways. But, of course, that won't happen, because people will still buy into it, and there's still money to be made off it. Oh well.

So, that's it, hope you enjoyed it, if you actually read all that! x-x
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
JediMastr80

PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2008 1:03 am Reply with quote
Top 10 Anime (Not in any perticular order)

The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya (TV) VERY Funny Anime. I lmao when i saw this. 1 of (If not) the funniest Anime's i have seen. Haruhi does way to many things that makes the show in suspence, cause since she is soo outgoing, she does what she wants and doesn't care what anyone things of what she is doing or what she thinks, etc.

Otome wa Boku ni Koishiteru (TV) (Japanese) OMG, i lmao soo much watching this. I give Mizuho ALOT of credit to try to hide the fact he's a guy the whole time while attending the girls school. He should get an award for being a good actor. I don't think i could be able to get through this without being caught.

Kasimasi - Girl Meets Girl (TV) OK, i totally lost it when i saw the 1st episode. I mean Come ON. Being Announced to the whole town (I am paraphrasing)
"Hazumu was a guy but got turned into a girl. Oh and it's not reversible. Sorry about that. I guess he, well she now, will have to learn and deal with it."
I think that would be 1 hell of a change in your life, having going through this accident. It makes you wonder if what if this happened to you in real life.
That might be good and bad going through that change both at the exact same time.
I kinda expected it to end the way it ended. It did end good for a short Anime.

Death Note (TV) Very Good Anime. Light owned awhile. I think that Light Could have won at the end.
spoiler[Light should have told Mikami to tear a page out of the REAL Death Note (as a last resort just in case) before he put it in the safe. Then when he went to kill off Near and the others, he could use the Real Page torn out before after Near's Fake Notebook didn't Work. Light Would Win easy then.]

Elfen Lied (TV) Good Anime. Lucy kicked sooo much ass. The ending i though kinda sucked. It was left very open.

Gunslinger Girl (TV) Very Good Anime. The Girls in this Anime kicked soo much ass. You would NOT want to run across them or u'd end up shot in the face.
Still waiting for episodes of Season 2 to be finished.

Mahou Sensei Negima! (TV) / Negima!? (TV) Both were really good.
spoiler[I think it was kinda sad on end of episode 23 / beginning of episode 24 when Asuna died, but them fixing the timeline did make it end good. ]
Still waiting for Negima!?'s last 2 episodes to be subbed.

I have others but will add them later. It's late at night and i'm tired.
Dorcas_Aurelia

PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2008 1:47 am Reply with quote
JediMastr80 wrote:
Mahou Sensei Negima! (TV) / Negima!? (TV) Both were really good.

Wow. I don't think I've ever seen anyone claim to like both series before. It's usually love one, hate the other.
archaron

PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2008 12:04 pm Reply with quote
In the second one didn't they not go by the manga as a guide and just do their own thing?
Dorcas_Aurelia

PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2008 5:54 pm Reply with quote
Yes. Very much yes.
archaron

PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2008 6:23 pm Reply with quote
That figures, thats not a good sign. The first season was good even though it had a few flaws. Sounds like season 2 is going to be a write off. I hope I am wrong though.
Dorcas_Aurelia

PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2008 8:25 pm Reply with quote
archaron wrote:
That figures, thats not a good sign. The first season was good even though it had a few flaws. Sounds like season 2 is going to be a write off. I hope I am wrong though.

That depends how much you like SHAFT and Akiyuki Shinbo.

Speaking of which, I don't think I've ever made a favorites list.

Favorite
10. Elfen Lied - This was one of the first anime I ever saw. The shock value of the opening scene was unlike anything I'd seen before (I had something of a sheltered life in terms of entertainment media). You can find me commenting, sometimes heatedly, on the series in a number of threads throughout the fora.
9. Koi Kaze - A series I looked into because I had heard about it here. The handling of such a delicate subject and the characters emotions was done beautifully.
8. Outlaw Star - Just lots of fun. I was really into space-faring sci-fi when I was in my teens, and this just hit all the right buttons for me.
7. Sola - It's really pretty too look at. I'm a bit shallow like that sometimes. I also enjoyed what is probably one of the most laid back love-triangles ever. Throw in a little bit of action and mystery later on, and it fills just about every genre craving I get from time to time.
6. El Hazard: The Magnificent World - Because Ifurita is awesome. I almost like the ditzy version in The Wanderers more, but there's a little too much filler there; it doesn't mesh with the fantasy epic type setting in my mind.
5. Princess Tutu - A magical girl doing ballet is awesome? Yes, yes it is. The story within a story, the fairy tale nature, the characters who demonstrate personality and growth throughout the series, the happy finale to the first season, the finale to the entire series, the use of classic works, all of it is wonderful.
4. Kyoran Kazoku Nikki - I enjoy the madcap antics and crazy characters that manage to break out of their stereotypes when necessary.
3. ef - a tale of memories - SHAFT doing a serious show? There's a first time for everything, but this turned out better than my wildest hopes. The trials and triumphs the characters go through held my rapt attention the entire time. The stylistic art used to emphasize the drama made the series stand out even more than others of its genre.
2. Moon Phase - I was hooked from the OP. Hazuki is the most adorable vampire ever. And I like Haiji, too. The quirky animation style was a draw as well. Also, the contrast of using comedy and (melo)drama.
1. Negima!? - For me, Negima + SHAFT = massive win! The style of artistic and comedic absurdity combined with the characters of my favorite manga made my giddy when it was first announced.

Honorable Mentions:
Ah! My Goddess (TV & movie) - So very pretty to watch.
R.O.D. (OVA) - Ass-kicking librarian.
RahXephon - Romance, giant robots, music-themed.
Hidamari Sketch, Sayonara Zetsubo Sensei - SHAFT
Le Portraite de Petite Cossette - Gothic love story directed by Akiyuki Shinbo

Least Favorite
5. Chrono Crusade - Possibly because I was expecting something that used the social aspect of 1920's US and a heroine that wasn't a massive failure. spoiler[I would have been very disappointed if Rosette and Chrono had survived the series.]
4. .hack//SIGN - Very pretty, both visually and aurally, but painfully boring. If I wanted to watch nothing happen for several hours, I'd turn on the iTunes visualizer.
3. Sisters of Wellber - It's a bad sign when a 13 episode series has filler episodes. It's even worse when the clever plot using prostitutes to distract a government official involves them just crowding around him so the protagonist can sneak away. Or the main characters spend an entire episode chasing a bird that stole an empty letter case. And all the good characters (or even not explicitly evil) are complete idiots.
2. Coyote Ragtime Show - So much potential, so much horribly squandered potential. How do you make an anime about space pirates and psychotic killer robot maids this bad? How? Plus, I'm bitter that the only one of the twelve sisters that was killed was my birth month.
1. Negima - Hideous character designs and art in general, and the butchery of the manga plot ruined this for me. That, or the use of such uninspired comedy. Then again, it might have been the tendency to use as many characters as possible while scraping the barest one-dimensional personalities over them. Or the deus ex machina and plot holes in the final plot arc.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 79 of 122