• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Most Clever/Intelligent Character Tourney Post-Mortem

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Contests and Games
View previous topic :: View next topic  
JacobC
ANN Contributor

PostPosted: Mon Nov 24, 2008 7:16 pm Reply with quote
Group D-17
Light Yagami, Death Note vs.
Daedalus Yumeno, Ergo Proxy
Voting For: Light Yagami

Pssssssh. No contest, really. Daedalus was crazy, and Light...went...crazy, but it took him a lot longer than it would most people! Very Happy

Group D-18
Taichi Hiraga-Keaton, Master Keaton vs.
Katsuhiko Jinnai, El Hazard franchise
Voting For: Taichi Keaton

Keaton of the many inexplicably handy talents, here. I'm not real familiar with Jinnai, but haven't heard anything great about him.

Group D-19
Washu Hakubi, Tenchi Muyo franchise vs.
Kanone Hilbert, Spiral
Voting For: Washu Hakubi

Kanone isn't much to sneeze at when you see Ayumu. Washu is legendary good fun by comparison.

Group D-20
Joker, Read or Die vs.
Nami, One Piece
Voting For: Joker

Okay. Nami is the navigator, right? Nico is the dark-haired pirate, Nami is the redhead. Good. Great. I've got it. I never saw much of any cleverness in Nami. She's surrounded by morons and she's controlled, skilled, and spunky, but a genius? Meh. Definitely Joker.

Group D-21
Medicine Seller, Mononoke vs.
Maximillien Robespierre, Le Chevalier d'Eon
Voting For: Maximillien Robespierre

Robespierre appears to have more breadth, but this looks like a weak bracket to me anyway.

Group D-22
Balalaika, Black Lagoon vs.
Kugen Tenko, Wagaya no Oinarisama
Voting For: Balalaika

I've heard good arguments for Kugen, but it's nothing I wasn't already aware of. I don't know, this just seems like another weak bracket to me, so I have to go with the one I'm more familiar with. Both of these contenders have strengths and weaknesses, and neither seems to one-up the other much, as evidenced by their current near-tie.

Group D-23
Shimei Yuuki, Starship Operators vs.
Shi Ryuuki, Story of Saiunkoku
Voting For: Shi Ryuuki

Shimei's guide entry didn't help much, and I know Shi's a smart little "b." So my vote goes to him. Still a sort of weak bracket.

Group D-24
Hakuoro, Utawarerumono vs.
Daisuke Aramaki, Ghost in the Shell franchise
Voting For: Daisuke Aramaki

Already stated my case here. Aramaki hands down!
Ggultra2764
Subscriber

PostPosted: Mon Nov 24, 2008 8:40 pm Reply with quote
With JesuOtaku's vote, the Medicine Seller- Robespierre match is now tied up 11-11.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
dtm42

PostPosted: Mon Nov 24, 2008 9:21 pm Reply with quote
Do I change my vote and go with Medicine Seller so that I get the minigame points, or do I keep with the guy I genuinely believe is smarter but miss out on said points?

It's days like this - and decisions like this one - that makes it hard being a minigame participant.
ccdx

PostPosted: Mon Nov 24, 2008 10:01 pm Reply with quote
dtm42 wrote:
Do I change my vote and go with Medicine Seller so that I get the minigame points, or do I keep with the guy I genuinely believe is smarter but miss out on said points?

It's days like this - and decisions like this one - that makes it hard being a minigame participant.

I feel you should always vote for who you think is more intelligent/clever. Is that not the whole point of the tournament? That was one of the key issues I was always worried about last tournament, whether people were voting for a character cause they genuinely thought there were the better choice or if it was just to help them score better in the minigame.

I personally really don't like ties. It means there will be more work for me, possibly hours added on. But I would never ever let that influence my vote. You should always vote for who you truly feel is the better choice, no question.
dtm42

PostPosted: Mon Nov 24, 2008 10:29 pm Reply with quote
Okay, well assume there is a tie. Do I get half the points normally awarded, all of them, or none of them? Because if it is either of the first two, I'll keep my vote for Maximilien.
Ggultra2764
Subscriber

PostPosted: Mon Nov 24, 2008 10:39 pm Reply with quote
This happened a couple times in the pairings tourney from what I remember and someone told me what happens in this scenario. If there's a tie, then both contestants advance to the next round and there will be a three-way match with no one earning points. If your pick from whoever was in the tie and they win the 3-way, then you get points from both the winner of that match and from the tie in the previous round. You lose, you don't get those points. What's the sense of giving away points in a match with no clear winner?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Dorcas_Aurelia

PostPosted: Mon Nov 24, 2008 11:18 pm Reply with quote
Except by the second round it has become possible that people guessed someone who was eliminated in the first round. If you guessed either of the two characters who tie to advance, you get the same amount of points as if only the one you had chosen advances. That's the way it was done last time, that's I'm doing it this time.

Final plea: Please vote for Kugen instead of Balalaika. Please?
dtm42

PostPosted: Mon Nov 24, 2008 11:44 pm Reply with quote
Alright, I'll keep with Maximilien. All the best luck to him. Hopefully no-one comes and votes against him in the dying minutes, but hey.
Key

PostPosted: Tue Nov 25, 2008 12:00 am Reply with quote
Round 2 is now closed.

It looks like we may have a tie in one group, so I'm going to go back and double-check that I didn't miss any vote changes. Because of that, and because I'm just generally running behind tonight, final results and the next round may be a bit delayed in coming up.

EDIT:

The official results can now be seen here. In addition to several huge blow-outs we also had a couple of very tight matches, including our first tie; that means both Medicine Seller and Robespierre will advance to meet Balalaika in Round 3. Balalaika's match with Kugen Tenko also went down to the wire, while Joker had to work to take out Nami.

Next round, complete with the first batch of video clips, will be posted soon.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Key

PostPosted: Tue Nov 25, 2008 1:14 am Reply with quote
Round 3 Group A voting is now closed.

Results are given below.

NOTES: This round we add the video clips, which for newcomers is a link to an off-site clip arranged by ccdx featuring a moment from each character's respective title which shows off the character's brilliance. I've checked some of them out in full, and they offer a nice display of the characters in action for those that are utterly unfamiliar with the characters. Between that and the Guide, there should be no "coin toss" or "I'm voting for the one I know better" decisions from this round on out.

This group in particular seems to have already weeded out all the questionable entries, leaving only a list of solid competitors. This should be interesting!

Guide: Group A Guide

Group A-25
L, Death Note [ Video Clip ]
vs.
Kazundo Gouda, Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex 2nd Gig [ Video Clip ]

Winner: L
Total: 11-6

Group A-26
Urumi Kanzaki, Great Teacher Onizuka [ Video Clip ]
vs.
Motoko Kusanagi, Ghost in the Shell franchise [ Video Clip ]

Winner: The Major
Total: 12-5

Group A-27
Ayumu Narumi, Spiral [ Video Clip ]
vs.
Ryoko Uchida, Noein [ Video Clip ]

Winner: Ayumu Narumi
Total: 13-4

Group A-28
Shuurei Kou/Hong, The Story of Saiunkoku [ Video Clip ]
vs.
Shikamaru Nara, Naruto [ Video Clip ]

Winner: Shikamaru
Total: 13-4

Last edited by Key on Tue Dec 02, 2008 12:02 am; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Key

PostPosted: Tue Nov 25, 2008 1:29 am Reply with quote
Let's get to business:

Group A-25
vs.

Gouda's going to be a hot pick here, especially with the anti-Death Note crowd, but I still feel L deserves this win. Like him or not, he has a sharp enough deductive ability that he probably could have puzzled together Gouda's grand scheming without too much trouble.

Group A-26
vs.

I am going with The Major for now primarily because of her superior hacking ability, but this is the one pick I don't feel confident in. If good enough arguments are offered for Urumi, I might change the other way.

Group A-27
vs.

No question in my mind here. Ayumu may have his merits, but the video clip of Ryoko Uchida offered here shows off her impressive mastery of insanely complicated quantum theory, and this isn't even one of her best "I'm smart" scenes. She'll impress you even more when you see clips of her (next round, I hope) discussing quantum theory on even footing with people from a future timeline that literally live and breathe quantum existences. She is one sharp cookie who absolutely deserves a spot in the fourth round.

Group A-28
vs.
Shikamaru Nara, Naruto [ Video Clip ][/quote]

Shuurei is the sentimental choice here, and there are some people out there who won't vote for Shikamaru just because he's from Naruto, but let's face it: the kid is late-round sharp and knows his strategy, as this video shows clearly. He demonstrates here that he perfectly understands exactly how to best exploit the abilities of his team, and can put this together very quickly. I've seen some of Story of Saiukoku, so I can say with some authority that Shikamaru deserves to advance far more than Shuurei does.
Ggultra2764
Subscriber

PostPosted: Tue Nov 25, 2008 1:43 am Reply with quote
Match A-25: L (Death Note)
Had Light figured out as Kira and was working as much as possible to try finding that perfect evidence spoiler[up to his death.] Pulls off some elaborate tactics to even break Light of his usual cool composure to point out the slightest errors in Light's case.

Match A-26: Motoko Kusanagi (Ghost in the Shell)
The Major puts intelligence and battle tactics against hackers and terrorists proficient in their fields of crime. Urumi only has clueless teachers and students to show her brains off against.

Match A-27: Ryoko Uchida (Noein)
The fact Ryoko knows theories of quantum mechanics decades ahead of our time has her earn my vote. That and I still have issues with Char losing to Ayumu. Mad

Match A-28: Shikamaru (Naruto)
I'm not a devoted Naru-tard. But being able to use brains against the strongest of ninjas in the world of Naruto earns Shikamaru my vote. Judging from Shuurei's description, her achievements seem to stem only from willpower.

And with my throttled Internet connection, there's no way I can wait long enough to see the video clips. Sad

Last edited by Ggultra2764 on Tue Nov 25, 2008 1:46 am; edited 1 time in total
LydiaDianne

PostPosted: Tue Nov 25, 2008 1:44 am Reply with quote
Group A-25
vs.

While I'm a little tired of Death Note, I think that L is the stronger person here. And the video clip sealed the deal in regards to that.

Group A-26
vs.

Urumi is playing with an idiot, so Matoko wins.

Group A-27
vs.

This was a bit difficult but I'm going to go with Ayumu, I think that he's just the better choice.

Group A-28
vs.

I'm going to go with Key and his words of faith and the video clip and vote for Shikarmaru despite the fact that he's a Naruto character and Shuurei is much cuter! Laughing Laughing
zawa113

PostPosted: Tue Nov 25, 2008 1:47 am Reply with quote
Shame my Master Keaton DVDs are in another state, but he disarms a bomb with chocolate in episode 13 (if wikipedia is to be trusted) and proves his prowess in spoon warfare in episode 1. Given that I've mentioned Keaton's bomb-disarming-with-chocolate a couple times, I'd imagine people to be curious to see it.

Yeah, due to time constaints, watched the clips for the shows I hadn't seen only for right now.

A-25: Kazundo Gouda
Reason: seemed more keen on figuring things out than L. Yes, the great L, whom I remembered seeing/reading him spending a lot of time twidling his thumbs and eating cakes while thinking things through and wasn't as sharp as Gouda's clip leads me to believe of him.
Possibility of change: convince me

A-26: Urumi Kanzaki
Reason: Motoko's clip proved her to be a tough customer, but not really as brilliant and manipulating and Urumi.
Possibility of change: none

A-27: Ayumu Narumi
Reason: Near forgot how brilliant Ayumu is. Clip reminded me, but Noein fandom is likely to make me change to Uchida easily.
Possibility of change: high

A-28: Shikamaru Nara
Reason: Shuurei seemed like a very nice person and an interesting character, and neither of their clips managed to impress me, but I give slight nod to Shikimaru.
Possibility of change: high, seeing as how I know neither of them and neither clip overly impressed me.
Aylinn

PostPosted: Tue Nov 25, 2008 2:17 am Reply with quote
Group A-25
vs.

Kazundo Gouda I have always preferred manipulators.

Group A-26
vs.

Motoko Kusanagi looks like a better choice.

Group A-27
vs.

Ayumu Narumi Ryoko was a very knowledgeable person but Ayumu displayed intelligence and was able to keep cold blood in highly stressful situations.

Group A-28
vs.

Shuurei
It looks like Shikamaru is going to win anyway, so I give my vote to the character from the anime I like better.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Contests and Games All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 41 of 90