• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Universal Signs Deal for Proposed Bakugan Film

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
enurtsol

PostPosted: Tue Dec 16, 2008 6:24 am Reply with quote
One couldn't believe that Bakugan balls are selling out on toy stores. Laughing
pparker

PostPosted: Tue Dec 16, 2008 7:46 am Reply with quote
I'm trying to understand... never heard of this before. It appears to be another Pokemon, but how popular is it? Is it popular in Japan?. The viewer rating on ANN is the worst I have seen personally. Is it just that it's a show for 5 year olds, or that it's a really bad show for 5 year olds?

And now the U.S. film industry is making it into a movie while the anime industry struggles, and we pine for quality entertainment. Please help.
Jarm

PostPosted: Tue Dec 16, 2008 8:28 am Reply with quote
enurtsol wrote:
One couldn't believe that Bakugan balls are selling out on toy stores. Laughing

Yea, its weird why anyone would want to have what basically is a transformable marble. Not interested.
Unit 03.5-ish

PostPosted: Tue Dec 16, 2008 8:58 am Reply with quote
It's basically Yu-Gi-Oh with marbles or some crap. That tells you all you need to know about the quality right there. Yeah, I don't know either.

Seriously, why do the CRAPPY ones get the movie treatment first? Would it be TOO MUCH to ask to based something on Cowboy Bebop, or Evangelion, or hell, even Ghost in the Shell or something?

Nooooooo, of course not, we get a movie based on a show that makes most anime fans run away in utter dread.

EDIT: I didn't realize this was going to be animated and not live-action. Please continue.

Last edited by Unit 03.5-ish on Tue Dec 16, 2008 9:25 am; edited 1 time in total
shadowblack

PostPosted: Tue Dec 16, 2008 9:13 am Reply with quote
pparker wrote:
I'm trying to understand... never heard of this before.

You haven't missed much. I watched it a few months ago (English-dubbed TV rip because there are no fansubs) and... well, it's not really bad, it's just that it's so mediocre and unoriginal that there's really nothing to make you remember it (at least when something is bad people might remember it because it is so bad). Still, Bakugan is getting a second season, so it must have had sufficient success.
Aura Ichadora

PostPosted: Tue Dec 16, 2008 9:18 am Reply with quote
At least one Bakugan toy comes through my checkout line everyday, so I can tell it's been a popular show. So I'm not surprised that a movie is going to be made. Pokemon has dozens of them, Yu-Gi-Oh! had one, so why not this one? =P
rizuchan

PostPosted: Tue Dec 16, 2008 9:21 am Reply with quote
This sounds like it'll be another Yu-Gi-Oh! The Movie, where the plot and animation will be so bad Japan will refuse to even acknowledge it.

At least, I'm assuming this film is to be animated. A live action Bakugan film is just... NO.

pparker wrote:
I'm trying to understand... never heard of this before. It appears to be another Pokemon, but how popular is it? Is it popular in Japan?. The viewer rating on ANN is the worst I have seen personally. Is it just that it's a show for 5 year olds, or that it's a really bad show for 5 year olds?

It really is basically the new Pokemon. I work at Toys R Us and those things sell like hotcakes. It's about the only thing that does sell in our 'anime' aisle (Which is made up of Bakugan, Pokemon, Digimon, Naruto, Dragonball Z and Blue Dragon.) It really reminds me of the Pokemon craze, though, as we get tons of flustered grandparents asking us where we keep something called "Back-oo-gaan" and other unique pronunciations I have to think about for a moment or two. Laughing

I don't really understand it's polpularity though, as I tried watching the anime one time and thought it was about the most badly dubbed anime I'd ever seen, and I usually like dubs. And children's anime. And Bakugan is just bad. Also, it's apparently not just for 5 year olds, as the majority of the kids that buy them are in the 7-12 range. These kids are definitely old enough that they should be able to know crap when they see it.
Kids these days have no standards. :/
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
sailorsean

PostPosted: Tue Dec 16, 2008 9:38 am Reply with quote
yup... another Yu-Gi-Oh the movie...
Unit 03.5-ish

PostPosted: Tue Dec 16, 2008 9:41 am Reply with quote
Well, rizu, when you think about it, the cartoons of yesteryear (i.e., the 1980s) were meant to hawk toys, but somehow today's half-hour commercials seem to have even LESS shame.

Either way, I bet this'll make zillions and promote the creation of more crappy sequels until the trend peters out or is replaced by some other crappy fad.
pparker

PostPosted: Tue Dec 16, 2008 9:59 am Reply with quote
rizuchan wrote:
...we get tons of flustered grandparents asking us where we keep something called "Back-oo-gaan" and other unique pronunciations I have to think about for a moment or two. Laughing

ROFL! I was born in KS and grew up in the area. That's my grandmother you just pictured so perfectly... made my week, that did Smile

Unit 03.5-ish wrote:
I bet this'll make zillions

There's the silver lining. The industry making money is not a bad thing... maybe some of it will go to funding better shows eventually.
Nebs

PostPosted: Tue Dec 16, 2008 2:20 pm Reply with quote
As someone who loves Yu-Gi-Oh & mildly enjoyed Beyblade, let me tell you that Bakugan sucks. At least the dub does anyway. I'm not familiar with the Japanese version.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number
Unit 03.5-ish

PostPosted: Tue Dec 16, 2008 2:24 pm Reply with quote
Nebs wrote:
As someone who loves Yu-Gi-Oh & mildly enjoyed Beyblade, let me tell you that Bakugan sucks. At least the dub does anyway. I'm not familiar with the Japanese version.

You, my friend, are truly of a rare breed. I mean, I don't like to knock people's personal preferences, but it shocks me that you enjoy shows that are generally reviled by the fandom.

And what do you expect? They're dubbing multi-season, multi-ep shows and I bet the VAs get to the point where they just settle on doing the bare minimum and not putting effort into it. Most long-running kid-oriented anime has this problem.
Primus

PostPosted: Tue Dec 16, 2008 2:37 pm Reply with quote
Except some of these toy-etic shows have redemable qualitites. Beyblade, despite always being call a mindless piece of garbage, has very good characterizations, and character development, which has to do with Takao Aoki's manga.

With Bakugan I can see nothing very good. I see a very large merchandising line including board games, action figures, an expanded CCG, along with the marbles. While the marbles are kind of decent, but not very show accurate. The voice acting is pretty decent at best, it isn't the worst Toronto has produced, but it is far from the best. And the show features a heck of a lot of recycled animation.
Unit 03.5-ish

PostPosted: Tue Dec 16, 2008 2:42 pm Reply with quote
Pokemon has one of the best "saving graces" of a merchandising anime out there: Team Rocket. At least they make me laugh and I always anticipate their appearance. Bakugan seems to have NOTHING redeeming about it.
Splitter

PostPosted: Tue Dec 16, 2008 3:01 pm Reply with quote
Unit 03.5-ish wrote:
And what do you expect? They're dubbing multi-season, multi-ep shows and I bet the VAs get to the point where they just settle on doing the bare minimum and not putting effort into it. Most long-running kid-oriented anime has this problem.

Agreed. Back in the days of Pokemon and Digimon, when anime was still fledgling in the US, there was a much bigger push to try to put out a good product and it showed. Nowadays, it's less about the cartoon and more about selling the toys.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3