• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Crunchyroll Posts Gonzo's Last Exile, Chrono Crusade, Others

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
pandorina

PostPosted: Thu Jan 08, 2009 4:58 am Reply with quote
Is happy to see something like this happen. Simulcasts will be nice. Sense I prefer Subs it will be like a dream. I know many people who visit CR are quite upset by their new set up but in the long run this could be extremely benifitial to Anime as a whole. Luvin this!
BorgmanJayce

PostPosted: Thu Jan 08, 2009 7:11 am Reply with quote
Is it me or are the likes of CR and other companies missing something in the fact that they could offer these sort of downloads for sale to people in other countries, especially the UK instead of restricting it to NA.

I mean, if I can watch stuff from the official Funimation website for free even though as far as I know, their official store still won't ship to the UK [which is a shame as they have some really cool shit for sale], why won't CR and the likes of MB allow me to watch stuff like Ramen Fighter Miki and Girl's High...

And as for Toei, I just think they're fuckwits when it comes to making business decisions, especially as there probably won't be a decent Slam Dunk DVD release for a long time to come, if at all. Evil or Very Mad
souleater

PostPosted: Thu Jan 08, 2009 7:46 am Reply with quote
BorgmanJayce wrote:
Is it me or are the likes of CR and other companies missing something in the fact that they could offer these sort of downloads for sale to people in other countries, especially the UK instead of restricting it to NA.

I mean, if I can watch stuff from the official Funimation website for free even though as far as I know, their official store still won't ship to the UK [which is a shame as they have some really cool shit for sale], why won't CR and the likes of MB allow me to watch stuff like Ramen Fighter Miki and Girl's High...

And as for Toei, I just think they're fuckwits when it comes to making business decisions, especially as there probably won't be a decent Slam Dunk DVD release for a long time to come, if at all. Evil or Very Mad

It's all about distribution rights and whatnot. I'm sure they would all be more than happy to just make it available worldwide, but unfortunately you can't just distribute to anywhere you feel like.
halo

PostPosted: Thu Jan 08, 2009 8:32 am Reply with quote
BorgmanJayce wrote:

Many of these programs have UK licenses (and other region). Last Exile is still licensed for the UK by ADV UK. Crunchyroll snagged digital distribution rights for it for NA directly from Gonzo before FUNimation relicensed it. They've stated they're working on getting licenses for more regions but some shows they must wait for existing licenses to expire. Media Blasters is a NA company nad only has NA rights so you can't exactly expect them to cough up rights they don't have. I strongly suspect FUNimation is either getting worldwide digital rights to most new shows or they'll soon be putting regional restrictions on shows (probably the latter).

I will agree that anything Toei is related to will be screwed up by Toei on any continent.
BorgmanJayce

PostPosted: Thu Jan 08, 2009 5:54 pm Reply with quote
halo, souleater, I can see where you're coming from, but in the UK, it'll probably be a VERY cold day in Hell before we get anime available to download legally.

I see nothing wrong with downloading fansubs and if anybody has any problems with me liking fansubs, tough luck because frankly I couldn't care less what your opinion is of me.

I'm just surprised that CR didn't even think about working with the UK licensees to make sure that the same shows were available for legal download here via CR.

Anime and Manga fans have always been treated like shit here and it won't change any time soon although we are getting an exclusive with the Blue Dragon anime in that we're getting an uncensored version in Japanese and English later this year which probably won't get a release in the USA because of the series being shown on CN. So I guess any fans of the BD anime will have to import from the UK for once if they want a legal uncensored version! Twisted Evil

As for CR, I guess I'll just have to use an anonymous proxy and Firefox flash video plugins to download the videos while for Slam Dunk, I'll just look for somewhere where I can download the fansubs in torrent format...

You NA fans don't know how lucky you are to be able to watch shitloads of anime legally online while us Brits have to look on with envy or resort to illegal means to watch the stuff that's blocked...

When it comes to CR, there's no way they'll become as popular in the UK as they slowly are in NA.

With MB, yes, I know they're a NA company but why they've never thought about getting more of their shows available to UK customers through a third-party instead of forcing UK otaku to import from the US [especially as the pound sterling's gone down the shitter lately], I don't know...
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1