• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: U.S. Sci Fi Channel to Run Rave Master Fantasy Anime

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
v1cious

PostPosted: Mon Jan 19, 2009 8:05 pm Reply with quote
because you all asked for it Laughing

seriously, whose idea was this?
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Mon Jan 19, 2009 8:11 pm Reply with quote
Kinda odd really. I wonder if it was contractual or someone at Sci-Fi has no idea what the show is about. I'd really prefer if they just kept showing older shows, OVAs, and movies, like they did back in the day. And for them to be repeating Gurren Lagann already either speaks of being out of other shows, or Bandai wants to sell more DVDs.

Oh, and I believe they're re-showing Macross Plus again tonight.
herbkir

PostPosted: Mon Jan 19, 2009 8:15 pm Reply with quote
Their choice of Rave Master is quite a surprise. I'd never have expected to see an ex-Toonami show turn up on Sci-Fi. Like the first poster said: What were they thinking (or drinking) when they bought into this?

Otherwise, their scheduling doesn't surprise. (^_*)
Megiddo

PostPosted: Mon Jan 19, 2009 8:23 pm Reply with quote
A show that was edited for Saturday morning will be airing at midnight on a weekday?

That's just silly.

Last edited by Megiddo on Mon Jan 19, 2009 8:24 pm; edited 1 time in total
Paploo

PostPosted: Mon Jan 19, 2009 8:24 pm Reply with quote
I'm curious if this means we'll see any episodes beyond what Tokyopop released/aried [did the finish the dub?]. Since they've also run assorted CPM shows, I'm guessing this'll just be TP's dub as is. If Manga Ent got more then the broadcast rights, here's hoping it gets a re-release on DVD.
penguintruth

PostPosted: Mon Jan 19, 2009 8:28 pm Reply with quote
X? Street Fighter?

That would be an impressive lineup if this were 1996.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Nebs

PostPosted: Mon Jan 19, 2009 8:29 pm Reply with quote
Paploo wrote:
I'm curious if this means we'll see any episodes beyond what Tokyopop released/aried [did the finish the dub?].

Yeah, they finished the dub. Cartoon Network aired all 51 episodes of the series, though they wound up finishing it by showing the final few episodes in the middle of the night/early morning.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number
Kougeru

PostPosted: Mon Jan 19, 2009 8:30 pm Reply with quote
penguintruth wrote:
X? Street Fighter?

That would be an impressive lineup if this were 1996.
Actually, if you read it again it's X the movie...which is VERY crappy..no matter what year it is.

Anyway, this is a dumb move for Sci Fi
Sorraffy

PostPosted: Mon Jan 19, 2009 8:30 pm Reply with quote
Paploo wrote:
I'm curious if this means we'll see any episodes beyond what Tokyopop released/aried [did the finish the dub?]. Since they've also run assorted CPM shows, I'm guessing this'll just be TP's dub as is. If Manga Ent got more then the broadcast rights, here's hoping it gets a re-release on DVD.

yeah, they did actually dub the entire series. It was just that in the middle of airing the series it was moved to CTN's Death Hour (I think it was 6:00am) and finished airing there
TsukasaElkKite

PostPosted: Mon Jan 19, 2009 8:32 pm Reply with quote
This surprises me. The first edited run on Cartoon Network was a failure, so why would they try to run the same thing on Sci-Fi?
Greed1914

PostPosted: Mon Jan 19, 2009 8:44 pm Reply with quote
Nebs wrote:
Paploo wrote:
I'm curious if this means we'll see any episodes beyond what Tokyopop released/aried [did the finish the dub?].

Yeah, they finished the dub. Cartoon Network aired all 51 episodes of the series, though they wound up finishing it by showing the final few episodes in the middle of the night/early morning.

That was the beginning of Cartoon Network, and subsequently Adult Swim's, poor treatment of anime. Yu-Yu Hakusho got sent to the death slot too, and it was not deserving at all. This is pretty surprising considering it was on another network for technically a different audience demographic. Oh well, at least it'll be better than the crappy CPM products they've been pushing.

Man, I totally forgot who some of the voice actors were for this series, such as Michelle Ruff, Crispin Freeman, and Yuri Lowenthal. I'm a bit more excited for this now.

Last edited by Greed1914 on Mon Jan 19, 2009 8:50 pm; edited 1 time in total
CCSYueh

PostPosted: Mon Jan 19, 2009 8:47 pm Reply with quote
It's a fun show. Would have been nice to get sub/dub on the dvds.
KabaKabaFruit

PostPosted: Mon Jan 19, 2009 8:55 pm Reply with quote
Unfortunately, as long as Tokyopop maintains their stranglehold on the license, don't expect uncut DVDs in the near future.

I'm hoping for an uncut net broadcast of the show though...

Besides, from what I've heard, Rave Master wasn't all that good of a show. It didn't cover all of Hiro Mashima's manga nor did it stick very faithfully to it either. Maybe that's the reason why Mashima hadn't greenlit a Fairy Tail anime yet.
LuckySeven

PostPosted: Mon Jan 19, 2009 9:11 pm Reply with quote
I can't say I followed it too well back in its run on CN, but I may watch this time. Like Greed1914 said, when you look at the cast a lot of the bigger names in English voice acting worked on this show. That would make it worth checking out again if nothing else.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website MSN Messenger My Anime
BellosTheMighty

PostPosted: Mon Jan 19, 2009 9:13 pm Reply with quote
KabaKabaFruit wrote:

Besides, from what I've heard, Rave Master wasn't all that good of a show. It didn't cover all of Hiro Mashima's manga nor did it stick very faithfully to it either. Maybe that's the reason why Mashima hadn't greenlit a Fairy Tail anime yet.

I've heard that, but I've also heard that the source manga was also cut down somewhat casually in the middle of an arc, with the creator getting very little time to wrap in up. So I suspect the real problem is that Mashima hadn't quite gotten his act together as a storyteller.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 1 of 6