• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Megaman NT Returns to Kids WB

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Shiki MSHTS

PostPosted: Thu Apr 29, 2004 3:42 pm Reply with quote
This, americanized terrible dub of a great show really really sickens me. The entire show was so badly butchered that it makes me want to cry sometimes. I guess this does happen to a lot of shows, but I guess I just noticed ALOT more when it was a show I acctualy cared about prior to it's american release, and my love for the Characters. I've been a Rockman/Megaman fan for some time now, and I've loved most everything that Capcom has churned out with him. From the games, to the stories, to the many different spin offs, I loved them all.

First of all, I realize I sound like I'm bragging to be an elite purist/otaku, but really, it's just this show, that really saddens me. I wouldn't really have many complaints if the show was treated with the slightest smudge of respect and treatment.

I've played all the Original series, the X series, and a lot more. I've indeed played the Rockman.EXE/Megaman Battle Network Series. It's truely wonderful to me. Just off the American versions, I've managed to enjoy the storylines (forgiving some of the terrible changes due to translation (Example, Mr. Match? The hell?!)), and much of all the games. I've got honestly around 100 hours of gameplay from each of the games released here thus far. I remember I used to watch the Rockman.EXE anime series prior to it's release here. Say what you want, but the series immensely entertained me. I loved the flow, the concepts and everything that made the series what it was. The original music track is also quite inspiring and I loved it to death. The Rockman.EXE series was a series that I deeply respected. I looked foward to the day the series would be released here.

Then I realized something.

It's going to be on Kids WB?

I suddenly realized that Rockman.EXE had great potential to be butchered and bastardized to every possible degree. In other words, it could possibly recieve the Yu-gi-oh treatment (I don't care much for yu-gi-oh though). I prayed that this wouldn't happen, and that it would fall into the hands of a moderately respectible company.

Goodness. I hate you ShoPro.

They absolutely killed, shot, butchered, and kicked the Dead corpse of the series once known as Rockman.EXE, and let it rise as a rotting undead zombie known as Megaman NT Warrior.

Now really, I do believe I could have stood a dub translation, even if they had used all the names from the game series. But holy crap. They took a step further, and decided to give it their own meanings, and proceeded to start the butchering.

Lan and Megaman sound at least like 17 year old surfers. ShoPro then decides to butcher the name of Meiru into Maylu. Now how the hell does that happen? They could at least have taken Capcom's suggested name of Mayl, or even something as plain as Mail. It's a pun, goodness. They didn't even follow the american game series.

Bomb Man gets turned into Blaster Man. I can't even state how lame that is. I realize that they might have been trying to censor the word "bomb" (blaster ball chip!) due to certain political reasons, but this is pathetic. Again, the american game used Bomb Man, so I really don't see any good reason behind the name change. Kids can CLEARLY see that he holds a bomb, uses bombs, and some may have played the game where his name is Bomb Man. Goodness. I can picture the future generations refering to old wars where we used things called "Blaster balls". Hell.

Gospel -> Grave. Holy CRAP.

Again, the american game keeps to the name Gospel. The logic in it offending people is just completely absurd. For one thing, I am christian, and I do not find the name Gospel for a terrorist organization in a game offensive. The word Gosepl means "Good News" for goodness sakes. It also was the name of the partner of Forte in the orignial series (keeping to the music puns). GOODNESS. They could have stayed with the american version, or at least named the organization Treble (The original americanized name of the partner of Bass, keeping to music puns). Goodness. GRAVE?!

Those aren't the only ones. Terrible choices when the voice personalities were chosen (Hino/Mr. Match has a scottish accent which makes him sound like Fat Bastard("I WANNA EAT YER BABIES! I CAN'T STOP EATING!".)) (Ice Man sounds like a 5 year old who sucked in too much helium). Terrible new soundtrack which makes my ears bleed. They did away with the lovible original tracks. The new one is so bad i yet again wanna curl up into a ball and cry again. There are too many to list.

I can already picture people telling me to stop complaining, "oh, it's only a seires", or "it's been done before". But honestly, my opinion of the american version is terribly low. They didn't even keep accurate to the american games for goodness sakes.

And no. I don't hate american dubs of stuff for no reason. I enjoy the american Sonic X and others. Please.

The worst thing, we'll probably never see a legit uncut bilingual (the other language is NOT spanish.) DVD release of this in the states.

Feel free to critisize me. I know I'm being whiny and such, but it's just my opinion. I just feel this way. I loved the japanese series, and the american games.

Poor poor Mega Man. =/

Last edited by Shiki MSHTS on Sat May 01, 2004 8:41 am; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
Fandrez

PostPosted: Thu Apr 29, 2004 8:18 pm Reply with quote
4Kids butchers all story lines, names, and fight sences. I REALLY wish that 4Kids would make an UNCUT version of shows... Sometimes I just don't really want to watch that anime in Japanese... maybe thats why I want to learn Japanese (I also like the culture and want to go there not sounding like "one of those stupid American Tourists hehe).
the_soultaker

PostPosted: Fri Apr 30, 2004 7:29 am Reply with quote
Although this happens to be an often repeated argument, the subject in regards to american networks mishandling many japanese anim(e)ted series adds validity to my bias of most "americanized" cartoons.

As for megaman, i was a huge fan of the videogames series since the glory days of the NES, But to my disapointment the first MM was lackluster to say the least. the opening intro which was done courtesy of japanese animators was kick ass
(megaman diving towards one of the bots with his fist extended with the theme song "the fighting robot,megaman)
but afterwards it went downhill from there.

Call me bias or purist, i don't care because if the japanese put their effort into creating a series, i don't want to see it when it becomes bastardized with poor dialogue/dubbing and not to mention edits that meet the standards of the FCC.(Ultimate muscle) Evil or Very Mad

That's just my lil' rant.."now back to our show.." Cool
Shorty22

PostPosted: Fri Apr 30, 2004 10:54 pm Reply with quote
See the problem is that these are kid-aimed shows so they grab them and adjust them for our kid standards. Then they don't release a subtitled version because it's a kid show. They probably think that there would not be a market for a subtitled release, so they don't bother with one. The wants of a few don't meet the production values & effort.

Although, I do agree with you about the worst thing being no legit release. There's a few kid shows that I would like to have subbed. One of them doesn't even have a dub release. I've actually considered getting imports from Japan, but they won't have subtitles and since I won't understand anything, I don't think I'll get anything from watching them, other than what I remember from the dub, which is the original problem. Confused
minakichan

PostPosted: Sun May 02, 2004 10:38 am Reply with quote
I would say, "4Kids screws up everything, get over it," but...

I'm too obsessed. *glomps Rockman*
Fandrez

PostPosted: Sun May 02, 2004 1:11 pm Reply with quote
Hehe, I like their dub jobs, just not the editing for kids.... Sad
Shiki MSHTS

PostPosted: Tue May 04, 2004 3:39 pm Reply with quote
Heh. The worst thing is, unless ShoPro is a branch off of 4Kids, 4kids didn't liscense it.

I randomly did a little looking up in the encyclopedia, and I noticed they also did Sonic X, which I don't believe was bastardized nearly as much. Now I come to the question, if they didn't screw so badly on their other projects, then Why the hell did they screw up so badly on this one?!?!!?

Another terrible changed name I remembered recently. Torch Man?! Oops. I forgot. Kids don't know what the word FIRE is, so let's prevent them from ever learning about this EVIL EVIL word and change the name to Torch. All kids who don't know what fire means obviously know what torch is.

And the arguement that Fire Man may be confused with real life firemen, lame lame lame~....
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
Fandrez

PostPosted: Tue May 04, 2004 5:59 pm Reply with quote
Hehehe. In the dub job, they still use the word "fire". For one of Torch Man's attacks are "FIRE" tower. They clearly use the work FIRE!!! Also, earler in ther series, they say the word "FIRE" when the oven is on fire.
Shiki MSHTS

PostPosted: Tue May 04, 2004 6:32 pm Reply with quote
Fandrez wrote:
Hehehe. In the dub job, they still use the word "fire". For one of Torch Man's attacks are "FIRE" tower. They clearly use the work FIRE!!! Also, earler in ther series, they say the word "FIRE" when the oven is on fire.

Help! Torch! Torch! Someone put out the torch!

oh sheesh. I just remembered another one.

Let's call him Wackoman! Because kids will obviously become racist online terrorists/killers if they watch a show with a frickin' digital clown who's name was Colored Man. No! Let's just tell them it's alright to be insane by calling him Wacko Man! Then let's promote the game that contains the original names!

Sheesh. Colored?!!?!? Does anyone think that hard about it?! No! He's a bloody clown for goodness sakes.

=P

Last edited by Shiki MSHTS on Wed May 05, 2004 12:00 am; edited 1 time in total
Fandrez

PostPosted: Tue May 04, 2004 8:11 pm Reply with quote
Whats Wackoman's real name? I haven't played many of the recent Megaman games.
Shiki MSHTS

PostPosted: Wed May 05, 2004 12:03 am Reply with quote
Colored Man. A lot of the navi's from the EXE series don't have roots in the original (though a lot of them do have roots as well).

I think it's really gonna die when they get to Shadow Man. Oh hell. If they bastardize the good name of the ninja, then they shall..... ohhhh....
the_soultaker

PostPosted: Wed May 05, 2004 7:05 am Reply with quote
Shiki MSHTS wrote:

Let's call him Wackoman! Because kids will obviously become racist online terrorists/killers if they watch a show with a frickin' digital clown who's name was Colored Man.
Sheesh. Colored?!!?!? Does anyone think that hard about it?! No! He's a bloody clown for goodness sakes.

=P

OH My damn! "colored man"?!? Shocked Laughing Talk about politically incorrect-ness. And some people wonder why i have have a dislike for "Anime -turned -american kiddified cartoons". Rolling Eyes

I'll stick to the Anime network, thank you. Cool
Fandrez

PostPosted: Wed May 05, 2004 10:43 am Reply with quote
Anime Network isn't in my state yet. Anime cry
the_soultaker

PostPosted: Wed May 05, 2004 11:51 am Reply with quote
Fandrez wrote:
Anime Network isn't in my state yet. Anime cry

Well hang on, because the Anime Network is gaining momemtum,and soon, your Cable company will carry it. (hopefully.) Hey for over 30 titles for only $6.95 a month how can you go wrong? Wink
Call your cable company and demand The Anime Network Exclamation
Fandrez

PostPosted: Wed May 05, 2004 2:17 pm Reply with quote
Even worse, I don't have cable. Anime cry
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1