• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Shelf Life - Tetsuooooo!!!

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
icepick314

PostPosted: Mon Feb 09, 2009 12:12 am Reply with quote
damm...that's lot of manga...

i would invest in several nice book/dvd cases to display them...

it does look pretty messy with no way of telling which book is which...
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number
posterior_praiser

PostPosted: Mon Feb 09, 2009 12:22 am Reply with quote
Holy crap that's a huge collection O.O! I would drown in that much manga Anime hyper!
dalbkino

PostPosted: Mon Feb 09, 2009 12:38 am Reply with quote
Great article! I will definently look into Afro Samurai when I have a few extra dollars! Smile

Wow! That is alot of manga. Just wish I could see exactly what all is there...

Last edited by dalbkino on Mon Feb 09, 2009 12:38 am; edited 1 time in total
v1cious

PostPosted: Mon Feb 09, 2009 12:38 am Reply with quote
that Claymore box is really cool. is that the regular case?
Dargonxtc

PostPosted: Mon Feb 09, 2009 12:45 am Reply with quote
I'm going to end up getting the Akira Blu-ray. Even though I already have the DTS version and the soundtrack, I figure this is the best Akira will ever look... and I need to own that.

SoS and Claymore I am also collecting. Damn fine line-up this week.

v1cious wrote:
that Claymore box is really cool. is that the regular case?

Yep that's the cover art on a standard DVD case. It's shiny too.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
vashfanatic

PostPosted: Mon Feb 09, 2009 12:50 am Reply with quote
Oh, it's quite possible to dislike Afro Samurai. I considered the first series to be utterly stupid, representative of some of the worst stereotypes about what "all anime is like" (i.e. full of violence and sex), with a nonsensical plot and an uninteresting lead. It was a waste of good animation and Samuel L Jackson's prodigious voice acting talent, and I have no desire to see the sequel.

On the other hand, the prospect of Akira on Blu-Ray the day I actually get a means of playing that format makes me drool. Sure, if you haven't read the manga it takes some brain squeezing to get sense out of it, but it's a masterpiece of hand-drawn animation - and the soundtrack is one of the most memorable in anime history.
Seljuk

PostPosted: Mon Feb 09, 2009 12:51 am Reply with quote
Quote:
It's shiny too.

Sold!
GATSU

PostPosted: Mon Feb 09, 2009 12:54 am Reply with quote
Quote:
After watching the film, though, I have to admit that I don't really see the benefit in owning it on Blu-Ray. I don't have a copy of the standard def version on hand, so I couldn't do a side-by-side comparison, but on my 1080 HD TV (connected to my player via an HDMI cable), it didn't look much different from any other anime disc I've ever fed to my PS3.

Now watch the number of screener discs from Namdai decrease. Laughing Anyway, I'm just hoping the colors don't bleed and the subs don't have that stupid Tenchi joke like in the Geneon release. Oh, and I'll do the company a favor and say newbies should get the BD in anticipation of the Hollywood movie. Rolling Eyes

Quote:
After World War III left Japan a charred heap of buildings in 1988 (ha!),

It's '92 in the manga. Actually, Akira comes off creepier in light of the AUM sarin attack. (At least if you're from Japan.) Wink

Quote:
While I was about halfway through watching Akira, my roommate chuckled and said, “You know what would make this cooler? Black Japanese samurai.”

There's a black Bruce Lee... Wink
bglassbrook

PostPosted: Mon Feb 09, 2009 2:03 am Reply with quote
Well, I find myself a tad grumpy after having to save & zoom on the shelf-less collection to see what is there (and it's late, and those darn kids are on my lawn again *shakes gnarled fist*) ... though those stacks are easily 2-3 times what I normally find safe when running inventory (or a full re-shelving.) It does, however, firm-up my resolution to just keep getting more shelves, rather than up-end everything on edge, when time comes to find more space.

Strange outcomes on the first two reviews though. Akira is not really worth the double (tripple/quadrouple) dip for PQ/AQ improvements, but shelf-worthy on story & tradition. Afro #2 (DVD or BD?) is also shelf-worthy, if for the exact opposite reasons as Akira. Ahh well, just gonna chalk this week (and does Afro really count as OVAs if they hit Spike first?) up to can't win em all.
konkonsn

PostPosted: Mon Feb 09, 2009 2:40 am Reply with quote
I don't like Akira, but my mood is too easily influenced for anime with dark tones and lots of blood (I remember my early anime days having things like Jin-Roh thrown in my face).

Which I guess is why I like Saiunkoku, and I'm glad that it gets attention from you guys. Saiunkoku gets me with being too cheerful sometimes, though. Every episode has a "Fortune Cookie" saying that often resolves the "horrible crisis." But I do like the determination of the characters and the political intrigue. And I usually hate period stuff. Razz
leoncloud

PostPosted: Mon Feb 09, 2009 3:46 am Reply with quote
Akira simply brings back so many memories, among the few animes I've seen in my teens, it is nothing short of nostalgic. But for the age and style of art, i dont think its worth that much on BR, if its gotta cost more than DVD. I was pretty disappointed with how Claymore ended too, but technically its not an end, its more like finale. Which is still better than how Tsubasa season 2 ended, /wrist. The show was beautifully woven and presented till its finale, which i lost a lot of brain cells due to that. I really hope once the manga gets further ahead, theyll do a S2 of Claymore. This is definitely an anime that will always have you on the edge of you seat.

@konkonsn
Yea i know what you mean, i usually mix it up a bit with what i watch.
Too much comedy in a row would rot your brains, dramas can get pretty depressing, and actions has too many emo-anal people.
Redbeard 101
Oscar the Grouch
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Mon Feb 09, 2009 3:46 am Reply with quote
Ya know the funny thing is I was just talking with LydiaDiane about The Story of Saiunkoku. I was mentioning to her I should check it out as I had heard several good things about it. Since it got a Shelff Worthy and the second aprt of season 1 seems to be as good as the first I'll have to add this to my Netflix queue and start watching it.
mufurc

PostPosted: Mon Feb 09, 2009 4:23 am Reply with quote
vashfanatic wrote:
Oh, it's quite possible to dislike Afro Samurai. I considered the first series to be utterly stupid, representative of some of the worst stereotypes about what "all anime is like" (i.e. full of violence and sex), with a nonsensical plot and an uninteresting lead. It was a waste of good animation and Samuel L Jackson's prodigious voice acting talent, and I have no desire to see the sequel.

I'm glad to know I'm not alone with this.

Last edited by mufurc on Mon Feb 09, 2009 4:26 am; edited 1 time in total
ikillchicken

PostPosted: Mon Feb 09, 2009 4:24 am Reply with quote
I'm surprised Afro Samurai got such a good rating. The review on ANN was pretty harsh.
Fiction Alchemist

PostPosted: Mon Feb 09, 2009 7:00 am Reply with quote
Deleted the crap.

Last edited by Fiction Alchemist on Thu Sep 08, 2022 2:06 pm; edited 1 time in total
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 1 of 6