• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Mandalay Pictures Licenses Full Metal Panic! Film Rights

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
LydiaDianne

PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2009 1:14 am Reply with quote
Zac Efron...ZAC EFRON???????????????!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Oh, yeah...IMO, if he gets the part...this movie will suck hard core. I've only seen bits and pieces of his work, but there is no way in hell he'll be able to pull of Sousuke.
Big Hed

PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2009 1:22 am Reply with quote
What.

It's funny, I was just thinking that ANN might pull a week-late April Fool's joke by reporting a live-action project (yes I know this isn't a joke) Razz

LydiaDianne wrote:
I've only seen bits and pieces of his work, but there is no way in hell he'll be able to pull of Sousuke.

Maybe he'll be able to draw on experience from his performance as Light in 2010? Laughing

I know this has "bad idea" written all over it, but ohmygawd I want to see it happen.
Delpheno

PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2009 1:22 am Reply with quote
Better than Shia Lebouf.
David.Seth

PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2009 1:24 am Reply with quote
LydiaDianne wrote:
Zac Efron...ZAC EFRON???????????????!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Oh, yeah...IMO, if he gets the part...this movie will suck hard core. I've only seen bits and pieces of his work, but there is no way in hell he'll be able to pull of Sousuke.

i know, right? why couldnt they get that Shia La Boof dude. Unless, of course, they're using Zac for a crossover hit: Full Metal Panic: the Musical! that would be aaawesooome.

edit:: dang you Delpheno! you beat me to it lol
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Buster Blader 126

PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2009 1:33 am Reply with quote
Interesting to hear that FMP joins in the LA-anime adaptation fray.

While hearing Zac Efron's name alongside this disturbs me a little bit, I really can't complain, since I haven't seen a single movie that he's acted in. Therefore I can't really critique/complain about him until I do, whenever that happens. He isn't even 100% involved yet, either.

We'll just have to wait and see, I guess.
ConanSan

PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2009 1:39 am Reply with quote
Oh Kadokawa, why do you keep wanting me to destroy you with my mind beams that I realy have.

Seriously, less LA more 3rd Season.

Or at least a fummofu 2, throw us a friggin' bone here.
Axe-336

PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2009 1:47 am Reply with quote
I think y'all are reacting against this a little too harshly just because Zac Efron's name is attatched. I personally thought he did a pretty good job in Hairspray, and if he has the range to act completely serious I think he could fill the role rather well.

I guess I'm mostly just thinking that this is one series they can hopefully adapt rather faithfully since it deals with high school, a subject that American movies are well acquainted with. I'm personally more worried about Chidori not having long beautiful hair.... I won't hold my breath on the blue.

.......I guess I'll be happy as long as Sousuke explodes a locker early in the movie.
Powalen

PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2009 1:49 am Reply with quote
Are you serious!? Hahaha

They seem to be considering Zac Efron for every anime adaptation... poor us xD

What's next? They'll probably cast him as Vegeta or someone if they do a sequel to Dragonball Evolution
giascle

PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2009 1:49 am Reply with quote

GODAMMITAAAAAAAAAAAUAAAH
GeneralArrow

PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2009 1:53 am Reply with quote
....... Sad OH NO not Zac Efron, even if its consideration *cries, horrible*. If they frak up the script I will never forgive them Mad . At least fox isn't doing it though thats the one bonus on all of this. and mandalay mostly works with universal or paramount.

Last edited by GeneralArrow on Tue Apr 07, 2009 1:54 am; edited 1 time in total
enurtsol

PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2009 1:54 am Reply with quote
Too early; more movies than stars have died in "development hell."
Though this movie can be adapted to an American HS more easily.

If it's about high school, then who else to draw the tweens than Zac Efron. Many of youz are just hatin' who or what the youths are into. (Seriously, how many of youz guys would watch a movie about high school anyway? It's well-known that many anti-social otaku hated their HS lives.) Besides, that's not much different than Japan's constant use of idols and singers into their movies and series. Laughing

Last edited by enurtsol on Tue Apr 07, 2009 1:58 am; edited 1 time in total
David.Seth

PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2009 1:57 am Reply with quote
Axe-336 wrote:
I think y'all are reacting against this a little too harshly just because Zac Efron's name is attatched...

Well, you have a point. But I don't know why they couldn't have gone with an unknown, or maybe someone who hasn't been in the High School Musicals... nevertheless, if this movie happens, I will see it (especially if they get Shia Labeouf to play Kaname)

enurtsol wrote:
Seriously, how many of youz guys would watch a movie about high school?

two words: Wild Things

Last edited by David.Seth on Tue Apr 07, 2009 2:00 am; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
enurtsol

PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2009 2:08 am Reply with quote
David.Seth wrote:
Axe-336 wrote:
I think y'all are reacting against this a little too harshly just because Zac Efron's name is attatched...

Well, you have a point. But I don't know why they couldn't have gone with an unknown, or maybe someone who hasn't been in the High School Musicals...

Then the kids won't go out and see it, and instead, the movie rooms will be filled by older otaku on a sci-fi film about high schoolers. Laughing

David.Seth wrote:

enurtsol wrote:
Seriously, how many of youz guys would watch a movie about high school?

two words: Wild Things

Ask how many anime fans even remember that film, much less seen it! Laughing

(It's the kind of live-action movie that anime fans tend to avoid - that's why they watch anime instead.)
Egret

PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2009 2:16 am Reply with quote
I think my brain broke a little when I saw this. If it wasn't the 7th already, I'd think it was an April Fool's Joke. 'Kay, let me breathe for a second....there.

I'm on the fence here. I love Full Metal Panic, and Sousuke Sagara is still one of my all-time favorite characters. A part of me panics when I even think about what an American adaptation might look like. At the same time, there's no proof whatsoever that it'll actually get made, and if it does by some chance make it into theaters and sucks, I can just pretend I never saw it. And hey, it's a great series. It might turn out okay.

Second, Zac Efron. I can't really say I have much against him. He's certainly cute. I'm too damn old for him, but he's still good-looking, so that's a point right there. I don't have anything against the High School Musical movies, either--at least the first and third. My sister loves them, and even I can feel a little bit of nostalgia for the good bits of high school when I've watched them with her. Can't say much either way for Efron's acting ability, but hey, there are way worse out there. I'll save my freak-o-meter points for if anything ever gets set in stone.

Since Full Metal Panic is already such a quirky, lively show that you could do all kinds of things with casting/execution and have it work out, if you're clever. There've already been two different takes on Sousuke's character, between the Japanese and English dubs, and both are very different, and both are excellent. So hey, another take on Sousuke and Kaname and the gang could be fun. I think maybe I'd like to see what Americans do with a tsundere. Very Happy
David.Seth

PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2009 2:19 am Reply with quote
enurtsol wrote:

Ask how many anime fans even remember that film, much less seen it! Laughing

(It's the kind of live-action movie that anime fans tend to avoid - that's why they watch anime instead.)

oh man... did i just show my age? well, in my defense, i saw that movie just a few years ago Razz But you asked who would want to watch a movie set in high school... well, what about many, many anime fans? i mean, isn't the majority of anime set in high school (or at least during the characters teen years)? Why is it the kind of movie anime fans would want to avoid? I mean, if Wild Things had been adapted to an anime, you know it would have been very popular Wink
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Page 1 of 10