• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Astro Toy with Rob Bricken - Dragonball Capsule Neo with One Piece

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dtm42

PostPosted: Sun Jun 07, 2009 10:16 pm Reply with quote
Rob wrote:
Making half the figures effectively non-painted provides no potential benefit to buyers, but a ton of risk. One out of every two figures you buy will be utterly worthless to you.

But wait, only two out of seven were unpainted. I don't get it . . . . . .
Beryl7

PostPosted: Sun Jun 07, 2009 10:26 pm Reply with quote
Oh my gosh...those gold figures are terrible. I'm so sorry, Rob...
MetatronM

PostPosted: Sun Jun 07, 2009 10:30 pm Reply with quote
The Chopper-Piccolo one does make sense.

Chopper equates caped characters with superheroes (Sogeking, Chopperman), and on multiple occasions he asks heroes or people he respects for their autographs.

So that pairing is more about Chopper's character than anything else.
drtylr48

PostPosted: Sun Jun 07, 2009 10:32 pm Reply with quote
Confused The reason for that pose with Piccolo and Chopper. Chopper wanted Piccolo's autograph
hikaru004

PostPosted: Sun Jun 07, 2009 10:32 pm Reply with quote
Bad luck with the Luffy figure. That was the 2nd best one painted imo. Sogeking was the best one imo.
Quark

PostPosted: Sun Jun 07, 2009 10:51 pm Reply with quote
*wipes away tears* I'm sorry, Rob, but the gold gashapon...oh, how I laughed.
Also in answer to the question at the beginning of the article, I'd rather a loved series have less merchandise, that is actually good quality, than have a series that has a lot of crap merchandise. For the amount of money that anime figures cost, I'd much rather be sure that I'm buying something good.
Gold...
Emerje

PostPosted: Sun Jun 07, 2009 11:03 pm Reply with quote
They call them "chase figures", randomly inserted color variants. Like Rob said it's popular in some trading figure sets to insert gold, pewter, or clear variants which are supposed to be highly sought after and hard to find. Honestly I don't know anyone that actually likes these other than skilled modelers that can accurately repaint them better than the originals (plus they sell for dirt cheap). I think it's more accurate for the term "chase" to be more about hunting down the accurate figure that you got screwed out of it. It's even more painful in a case like this where you don't get multiples.

I thought Bandai's "Competing of Dream" sets were bad (characters pulled from all over the timeline, odd pairings, and noticeably worse paint on the One Piece portion), but compared to these they're masterpieces.

Emerje
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
v1cious

PostPosted: Sun Jun 07, 2009 11:10 pm Reply with quote
i'm of the mind that Vegeta would've been better paired with Zoro... but that's me.

are you sure they're gold by default? maybe you got some kind of special edition.
danielmer

PostPosted: Sun Jun 07, 2009 11:19 pm Reply with quote
why is he complaining that he got two rare gold figures in one box, that is pretty cool.
Kyogissun

PostPosted: Sun Jun 07, 2009 11:26 pm Reply with quote
danielmer wrote:
why is he complaining that he got two rare gold figures in one box, that is pretty cool.

...We wanted a full painted only set. The gold kinda ruins the nice colored set up the rest had dude...
Zac
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Sun Jun 07, 2009 11:30 pm Reply with quote
danielmer wrote:

Every collector is different, and for some - I'd say many - aesthetic is way more important than rarity. I want the best-looking figure, not the rarest.

Having gotten many a 'rare' clear variant when trying to collect a gashapon set, I can tell you I do not care at all about rarity, I want it to be painted and look nice.
Greed1914

PostPosted: Mon Jun 08, 2009 12:08 am Reply with quote
Zac wrote:
danielmer wrote:

Every collector is different, and for some - I'd say many - aesthetic is way more important than rarity. I want the best-looking figure, not the rarest.

Having gotten many a 'rare' clear variant when trying to collect a gashapon set, I can tell you I do not care at all about rarity, I want it to be painted and look nice.

That's exactly how I felt when I got a clear version of Anita from R.O.D. Sure it was a rarity, but the features are harder to distinguish when it's like that. Of course I wasn't so disappointed as to try for a painted one since I was feeling pretty good about not getting any duplicates.
B.Y.O.B. Kenobi

PostPosted: Mon Jun 08, 2009 12:15 am Reply with quote
Proof the gashapon gods love Dragonball: Evolution, Bay's Transformers and Rise of Cobra. 'Cept instead of fiery hail, you get unwanted variant figures.
Rolando_jose

PostPosted: Mon Jun 08, 2009 12:57 am Reply with quote
Sorry Rob, but in a sick kinda way I like more your reviews of crappy figures than the good ones. Mr. Green
malik_chan

PostPosted: Mon Jun 08, 2009 1:13 am Reply with quote
One time at AX, some one had a trashcan full of figures in plastic baggies and you paid like a dollar to reach in and grad something at random. I got a pewter colored Batou that I had to put together... It took me like a year to even figure out it was Batou because I could barely make out the details.

But gold? It's not matching with the rest of the set and that would almost drive me up the wall.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3