• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Astro Toy with Rob Bricken - D.Gray-Man Deformed Figure Series

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
kyokun703

PostPosted: Sun Jul 19, 2009 4:12 pm Reply with quote
These are cute! Too bad I'm not more into D-Gray Man so I can justify buying these and putting them on my desk. Maybe I should fix that.
HJSoulma

PostPosted: Sun Jul 19, 2009 4:17 pm Reply with quote
One of my best friends just recently brought me back Confused Lenalee from Japan, and I can attest to their excellent sculpting and total adorableness. She even has tiny little earrings and the undersides of her hands (which you can't see unless you flip her over) have little fingers sculpted into them. Super cute, total recommended.
LeanGreen

PostPosted: Sun Jul 19, 2009 4:19 pm Reply with quote
D. Gray-Man has also piqued my interest, but I never got around to reading the manga or watching the anime. Too bad, since these gashapon are surprisingly cute. Keep up the great columns, Rob! You review well even when you do like the figures.
neocloud9

PostPosted: Sun Jul 19, 2009 5:13 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Lavi, the cheerful exorcist/Bookman who I'm going to pretend is an adorable Solid Snake from Metal Gear Solid the minute I've turned this column in.

I lol'd, not gonna lie. Laughing
Socks of Death

PostPosted: Sun Jul 19, 2009 5:25 pm Reply with quote
Well that settles that. I'm now calling Allen 'Dave Gray-Man'.

Actually, at this past Otakon I picked up one of these (the Lavi with the 'loving' expression), and he is really well sculpted. I instantly thought to myself "Huh, I wonder what a review of these on Astro Toy would be like" and lo and behold, there was a review when I came back. :'D

I guess I should pick the rest of the (variant) figures up too, considering 'Dave Gray-Man's' and Lenalee's variant faces make me giggle. And Kanda just to please my brother.
Haipaa_Koneko

PostPosted: Sun Jul 19, 2009 5:29 pm Reply with quote
Wow very nice crisp clean looking figures I wouldn't mind having a few in my collection.
My only peeve with them is the hole n pole in the back I've had a few figures break because of said poles...never to be displayed again because they can't stand their little butts up anymore.
Few months back I picked of three figures from the blindbox types ( I can't tell what series they're from all I know is one of them is a lil white kitsune in blue and white temple garb and it looked like a interactive novel game on their box) and they're alot like these...horrible huge heads with itty bitt little bodies ( they're little legs came to lil chibi points) and I got to say I was impressed with what the company did. They put magnets in the giant heads and on the bases put metal polls behind 'em. I got to say that was the best figure Idea I've seen in a long time. I wish more companies would go that route with their products.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Big Hed

PostPosted: Sun Jul 19, 2009 6:14 pm Reply with quote
Now I'm imagining Snake carrying a giant striped hammer.
KabaKabaFruit

PostPosted: Sun Jul 19, 2009 6:37 pm Reply with quote
Tsk, tsk, Rob. You neglected to point out Allen's terrible stomach ache. Rolling Eyes
Ashen Phoenix

PostPosted: Sun Jul 19, 2009 7:04 pm Reply with quote
I'm so, so, SO happy these earned such a glowing review from you, Master Overlord Bricken, sir! I'd seen and wish-list'd 'em a ways back on ToysLogic but was unsure if I'd actually make the purchase when it finally came down to it.

After reading your column, I feel like I can now buy the set with complete confidence! Thank you! Anime catgrin
Gwydion

PostPosted: Sun Jul 19, 2009 8:33 pm Reply with quote
My only question is why doesn't the Allen variant have his left Innocence hand...? Is he wearing gloves and I just can't tell? Or am I further behind on D.Gray-man than I thought? lol

Other than that, they look fabulous though!
minakichan

PostPosted: Sun Jul 19, 2009 8:40 pm Reply with quote
Rob pleeeeease, I like your column, but pleeeeeeease just read or watch a little more of a series before you make a review. It's kind of embarrassing to read! Reading the full wiki article and then seeing the first volume or episode of the manga or anime isn't that hard, especially when it's as easy available as D. Gray-Man. Otherwise it just makes you look extremely unprofessional.
championferret

PostPosted: Sun Jul 19, 2009 9:22 pm Reply with quote
HOLY UNDULATING KRAKENS ON TOAST.
D.Gray-man is one of my favourite series ever and for some unexplained reason I didn't know about these. I kind of...need them. I hope I'll still be able to find them in Japan come October.
irishninja

PostPosted: Sun Jul 19, 2009 10:01 pm Reply with quote
minakichan wrote:
Rob pleeeeease, I like your column, but pleeeeeeease just read or watch a little more of a series before you make a review. It's kind of embarrassing to read! Reading the full wiki article and then seeing the first volume or episode of the manga or anime isn't that hard, especially when it's as easy available as D. Gray-Man. Otherwise it just makes you look extremely unprofessional.

Your sentiment confuses me.

Rob isn't talking about the anime or manga, he's talking about some toys, which he does know a thing or two about. He states up front that he knows very little about the series, thus practicing full disclosure and thereby retaining his journalistic integrity. Had he passed himself off as knowledgeable about the series, I would totally agree with you, but the information he does provide seems consistent with someone who looked up the series in the ANN Encyclopedia or on Wikipedia. Smile

Edit: Edited to fully explain my thoughts and not seem like a total jerk.
momogoldfish

PostPosted: Mon Jul 20, 2009 12:28 am Reply with quote
I got the Hitman Reborn figures from the same line and was wondering about the Rob Bricken review as well lol. I can attest that they are just as cute and detailed as the D. Gray Man figures and highly recommended.

Not sure if this is an extra selling point, but the arms and heads are all detachable, making for some hilarious mix and match (especially with the variants).

Though the spiky hair can probably work as improvised weapons as well...
Shirogane

PostPosted: Mon Jul 20, 2009 5:57 am Reply with quote
Mixing and matching sounds like fun. Smile I'd say it is a selling point.

But odd thing is, I just started watching the anime yesterday! Truthfully, I bought and read 2 of the manga before, so I knew the basics of it, but it was still kinda funny.

Those variants are pretty cute. I'd be happy with a variant Dave Gray-man, um, Allen.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2