• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Detective Conan's Akira Kamiya to Leave Kogoro Mouri Role

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Myaow

PostPosted: Thu Sep 17, 2009 7:10 pm Reply with quote
Pity. I've started watching Conan with my little brothers lately, and Kogoro is a favorite of all of us-- we all have fun doing our impressions of his gruff and gravely voice. I can only hope that whoever signs on to replace Mr. Kamiya does half as good a job nailing the nuttiness and awesomeness of the character. Or that he sounds a modicum as funny when yodeling "YOOOOKO-CHAN!"
minakichan

PostPosted: Thu Sep 17, 2009 7:36 pm Reply with quote
B-but he's so awesome!

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!
Zhou-BR

PostPosted: Thu Sep 17, 2009 7:47 pm Reply with quote
He's the man who gave us the voices of Kenshiro, Ryo Saeba, Roy Focker, Kinnikuman and dozens of other classic anime characters. If there's anyone who deserves some rest, it's him.
GATSU

PostPosted: Thu Sep 17, 2009 8:10 pm Reply with quote
Hope there are no physical ailments we don't know about... Crying or Very sad
Shay Guy

PostPosted: Thu Sep 17, 2009 8:25 pm Reply with quote
Shouldn't be too much entitlement-outrage wank over this, I don't think Conan's much of an "otaku" show in Japan. The main target market might not even notice.

So what episode will be his last?
topleka

PostPosted: Thu Sep 17, 2009 8:34 pm Reply with quote
This is a disappointment, but I'm sure his reasons are good. He will be missed.
Gasero

PostPosted: Thu Sep 17, 2009 9:10 pm Reply with quote
There must be some real issues if he's leaving this job. Conan is almost 550 eps and doesn't seem to be going anywhere soon
Kalessin

PostPosted: Thu Sep 17, 2009 9:50 pm Reply with quote
I don't think that this is the first time that they've replaced someone on this show (it has been running for over 10 years after all), but I believe that is the biggest character to have a change of actor.

I confess that I won't notice since I watch the dub (though given the script on this one, it's one that I'd almost recommend watching subbed even though the English actors do a great job -
they just change too much trying to Americanize it), but then again, even if I watched the sub, Funimation is so far behind that it'd be years before I'd have a chance to notice. By the time that Funimation gets to the episodes with the new guy, I'll have totally forgotten this announcement. But oh well. At least they're releasing a lot faster now than they were. It's a good show and I'll continue to watch it regardless of who plays who.
britannicamoore

PostPosted: Thu Sep 17, 2009 10:48 pm Reply with quote
Damn that sucks. I've seen a few subbed episodes here and there and I enjoyed his voice-- almost as much as I enjoyed the Dub voice (which is saying a lot for DC).

I hope his reasons don't involve his health. Whatever the reason he will be missed.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
prime_pm

PostPosted: Thu Sep 17, 2009 11:31 pm Reply with quote
You know, technically, by now, that kid Conan should be old enough to be at least a teen again.
Kaitou KID

PostPosted: Thu Sep 17, 2009 11:49 pm Reply with quote
I am actually shocked! Kamiya has been my favorite voice actor for years and besides Angel Heart, Detective Conan was pretty much the only anime to have him in a major role in recent years.

Ugh. There goes one of the giants in voice acting.
CCSYueh

PostPosted: Thu Sep 17, 2009 11:57 pm Reply with quote
Kalessin wrote:
I don't think that this is the first time that they've replaced someone on this show (it has been running for over 10 years after all), but I believe that is the biggest character to have a change of actor.

Kaneto Shiozawa died so he had to be replaced as Inspector Shiratori
O-chan

PostPosted: Fri Sep 18, 2009 8:23 am Reply with quote
What has me worried is that Akira Kamiya is one of my FAVORITE Japanese seiyuu and his Ryo Saeba (City Hunter), Shutaro Mendou (Urusei Yatsura), Professor Tomoe (Sailor Moon S) are unparalleled. He's not stating why but for a legend such as him to simply give up a long term role has me questioning "why?".

O-chan
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
WatchforMoons7

PostPosted: Fri Sep 18, 2009 8:57 am Reply with quote
I don't know either. He's too great. I wish him luck and I hope he'll be okay
russ869

PostPosted: Fri Sep 18, 2009 10:56 am Reply with quote
This guy is Macross's Roy Focker, huh? He does do a pretty awesome voice.

I guess if you have a TV show that runs for years and years with over 500 episodes it's more than likely that you'll lose some actors or staff along the way. But it is a shame to loose one of the main characters. Especially one voiced by one of the great veterans of voice acting.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2