• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: .hack//G.U. Trilogy Sub.DVD

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Josh7289

PostPosted: Wed Sep 23, 2009 11:08 pm Reply with quote
What happened to this poor series? .hack//SIGN was amazing, and is still a superb example of the MMO ideal.
weirdofu

PostPosted: Wed Sep 23, 2009 11:47 pm Reply with quote
The actual .hack//GU trilogy games were pretty good with some solid story lines that really redeems the mess that was ROOTS. The game's story pacing is probably somewhere between the slow crawl of roots and the jumble of the DVD film compilation, which means its just about right. Not to mention that they actually rewrote and abridged some of the game's story such that they can make a 90min film out of it.

So, if you really are a fanatic fan, go play the game. The casual fan may get alot or most of what they need from the film.
kefkaownsall

PostPosted: Thu Sep 24, 2009 5:58 am Reply with quote
I remember downloading this movie and hating it. Only good for AMVs.
Kimiko_0

PostPosted: Thu Sep 24, 2009 6:18 am Reply with quote
So, is this the ending that .hack//Roots never had? That would be good. Although the whole story would have been better without Haseo.
Ralifar

PostPosted: Thu Sep 24, 2009 7:01 am Reply with quote
Kimiko_0 wrote:
So, is this the ending that .hack//Roots never had? That would be good. Although the whole story would have been better without Haseo.

Kind of, yes. But it compresses too much into too little to really be that good. If you've got spare time then I'd suggest buying the games. The concept of playing a game about playing a game may sound stupid, but the games were pretty fun. Even though it's 3 games it's still pretty much only one game. The graphics, gameplay, and just about everything else doesn't improve or change. It's also a direct continuation from the previous games with you being able to load your saved data and keep all the items and levels you gained in the previous games. Cramming all of the stuff that was in the games into a 90 minute movie is just a bit much.

Haseo was an ass.
Yuki_Kun45
Exempt from Grammar Rules

PostPosted: Thu Sep 24, 2009 5:16 pm Reply with quote
Kimiko_0 wrote:

.hack//Roots had an ending. The GU Games. This movie sucked, I was hoping it would be a movie adaptation of the games but it felt more like a very expensive recap episode.
belvadeer

PostPosted: Fri Sep 25, 2009 12:40 pm Reply with quote
I still haven't played the G.U. games yet and I only watched Roots because I was interested in that kemono race they added for it. Unfortunately Roots really put me to sleep and once the main antangonist decided to switch his avatar, I lost interest.

I think this particular purchase would only interest people who liked Roots, if that's even a wide number.
jr240483

PostPosted: Fri Sep 25, 2009 5:46 pm Reply with quote
Well I liked all of the hack series with the 12 ep legend of the twilight series as my favourite. Also hack roots was a good series too though the main was unfortunately something that leaves to be desired.

It's too bad that the G.U trilogy is in sub only. (which right now has me REALLY & officially worried cause bandai is starting to act like media blasters & the now demolished ADV Films with these sub only releases)

though if it's like the other hack series,then it at least should earn a rental at least.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
b4k4ni04

PostPosted: Sat Sep 26, 2009 1:49 am Reply with quote
Sign and Twilight's manga, have to be the best .hack has put out.

the first four games are direly repetitive although still fun for the most part. But, from how long the game takes, (perhaps my own fault for playing every invitation from every side character <<;.) when you do hit plot, it feels like forever since the story mattered.

Roots was a yawn. and the G.U. games felt like a long drawn out action game which you could level up in and oh, there's a bit of plot that involves you beating up just about everything.
Still just as repetitive as the first four, too.

Trilogy entertained me by taking the long drawn out plot of the G.U. games and condensing it down to everything that really mattered between Haseo, Atoli, and Ovan. Then they spice it up to leave me wondering if such was even remotely possible within the game, or if they delved into utter fantasy.

I would advise watching this: one, if you are a .hack fanatic; two, if you are debating to play the games for the plot.. don't and watch this; three, if you've played the games, but thought the ending was tacky... watch this for a condensed, actually important, plot-fest.
Megiddo

PostPosted: Sat Sep 26, 2009 2:29 am Reply with quote
b4k4ni04 wrote:
Sign and Twilight's manga, have to be the best .hack has put out.

I never read the UdeDen manga, but the anime was deplorably terrible, particularly the final bout against Morganna. SIGN is certainly the best anime in the franchise, but .hack//GIFT has to be my favorite .hack thing.
Ralifar

PostPosted: Sat Sep 26, 2009 5:09 am Reply with quote
b4k4ni04 wrote:

I would advise watching this: one, if you are a .hack fanatic; two, if you are debating to play the games for the plot.. don't and watch this; three, if you've played the games, but thought the ending was tacky... watch this for a condensed, actually important, plot-fest.

I'm going to have to completely disagree with this statement. The only way you could watch and enjoy the movie for the plot is if you already knew everything that happened in the games. Otherwise it just throws too much at you without enough exposition.
Shirogane

PostPosted: Sun Sep 27, 2009 7:28 pm Reply with quote
I actually liked the G.U. games, but then again I played through all of the first four .hack games. It sounds like this movie is for fans only, who beat the G.U. games and wouldn't mind seeing more Haseo and Avatar action. It sounds to be a decent rental, but probably not a purchase.

And I agree that .hack//GIFT was very good.
Eivion

PostPosted: Tue Sep 29, 2009 4:37 pm Reply with quote
To have a decent appreciation of the movie, you probably would be best served to have played the games. I think the movie is basically the real story removing the rpg video game elements that make it a long process to bore through along with the additional characters added more for gameplay than story enhancement.
AuraShadow

PostPosted: Wed Sep 30, 2009 5:07 pm Reply with quote
Yuki_Kun45 wrote:
Kimiko_0 wrote:

.hack//Roots had an ending. The GU Games. This movie sucked, I was hoping it would be a movie adaptation of the games but it felt more like a very expensive recap episode.

Yeah that's exactly what I thought when I saw it. It was pretty much what you'd watch if you didn't want to play the games, which the trade off of laziness is getting a very bad summery of the games. It had a few interesting scenes in it that wasn't in the game, but over all it was crap.

Quote:
In the anime side of the sprawling beast known as the .hack franchise, .hack//G.U. Trilogy fits neatly at the end of .hack//Roots. Roots was perhaps the single most boring anime ever inflicted on the viewing public, a distillation of director Koichi Mashimo's glacial style that had no sympathetic characters, no emotional involvement, and an hours' worth of plot stretched over ten hours of animation—....

.hack is one of the best examples of your either going to REALLY love the slow pace or you're REEAALLYY going to hate it. I think this description you said for .hack is a bit biased to that one side (the hatred part). SIGN did have a bit more action but emphasis on bit, there wasn't much difference between the two in this case, but really the driving force behind .hack is clearly the story. Roots when you connect it with the games has a lot of "oh" moments to them. It's not meant to be an exploration of typical shonen elements. Yeah it's stretched out, but aren't a lot of great pieces of literature stretched out to ridiculous amounts to show meaning, yet we still classify them as"great works of art?" Many want quick satisfaction from anime, but I think the ones that really take their time is something rare in this genre and isn't any less important or significant.
Jedi Master

PostPosted: Sun Oct 04, 2009 2:47 pm Reply with quote
The lack of a dub disappoints as I was looking forward to this. Was the GU manga any good or are the games really the only good way to go?
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1