• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Canada's Bionix on Demand for Anime Ends This Month

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Pepperidge

PostPosted: Wed Dec 09, 2009 7:22 pm Reply with quote
I guess that's the final nail in the coffin. It was fun while it lasted.
animerulez01

PostPosted: Wed Dec 09, 2009 7:31 pm Reply with quote
With this is the total end of bionix...this sucks for YTV. They had a very good lineup of anime.
malvarez1

PostPosted: Wed Dec 09, 2009 7:43 pm Reply with quote
Its Toonami all over again!
decepticons2

PostPosted: Wed Dec 09, 2009 7:52 pm Reply with quote
Anime seems dead on Canadian television. I even subscribed to Razer when they were airing anime. That seemed to be a high point.

But over the last few years it has been steadily down hill. The internet really has replaced TV as the place to watch anime.

I don't believe that ytv will have an anime channel any more. With the economy the way it is riskier venture's are less likely to see the light of day. And really anime has lost a lot of its mainstream appeal. A new pokemon or a naruto that is more family friendly.
Pepperidge

PostPosted: Wed Dec 09, 2009 9:49 pm Reply with quote
I suppose it's possible that Funimation will strike a deal with Corus to let them turn their Anime Channel into Funimation Channel Canada. Not that it would really help anything, but it seems like a reasonable possibility.
jmfsilenthill

PostPosted: Wed Dec 09, 2009 11:21 pm Reply with quote
I actually have Bionix to thank for my introduction to anime. When I was a kid I used to watch DBZ and Sailor Moon, but that was it. A few years ago when Bionix had a fair amount of anime on, I really started getting into the shows they had on. They introduced me to Fullmetal Alchemist, Eureka Seven, Bleach, and even a little Gundam Seed (not such a big Gundam fan though). Oh yeah, I can't forget Death Note. I haven't watched Bionix in what seems like forever, mostly because they just didn't have the programming anymore. It's sad to see it go.
Mytopia

PostPosted: Thu Dec 10, 2009 1:57 am Reply with quote
North America needs Animax.
jr240483

PostPosted: Thu Dec 10, 2009 3:13 am Reply with quote
decepticons2 wrote:

But over the last few years it has been steadily down hill. The internet really has replaced TV as the place to watch anime.

Unfortunately that what started anime on TV's downfall in the first place due to illegal streaming sites and fan subs and it got more of it during 4kids reign of terror,especially when they did one piece.

At least AS still has bleach,but i am worried about that since according to their schedule their starting back to the vizard arc (which i'm not susprised since they've been showing new eps since the soul society rescue arc,not to mentioned most of the main bleach cast are doing double duty with naruto shippuden) and moribito is about to end which is a great series,but it's definately no FMA or code geass though.

If AS dont do something fast they might end up just like bionix as well as their former sister site toonami.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Primus

PostPosted: Thu Dec 10, 2009 6:24 am Reply with quote
Sweet, Pokemon, Yu-Gi-Oh! 5Ds, Dinosaur King, and Bakugan: New Vestroia are the only series in this country airing new episodes, sweet. At least we have Bakugan: Gundalian Invaders, and Beyblade: Metal Fusion on the horizon, right guys?

jr0904 wrote:
decepticons2 wrote:

Unfortunately that what started anime on TV's downfall in the first place due to illegal streaming sites and fan subs and it got more of it during 4kids reign of terror,especially when they did one piece.

It's funny, because Bionix was launched when 4Kids' "reign of terror" began. And ever since they became more and more irrelevant, so did the programming on Bionix. And it's not like 4Kids supplied an amount of shows to the block, in fact, no 4Kids show ever aired in the branding on the linear network.
ConanSan

PostPosted: Thu Dec 10, 2009 2:25 pm Reply with quote
What happened to PreCure?
Primus

PostPosted: Fri Dec 11, 2009 4:12 am Reply with quote
Conan-san wrote:
What happened to PreCure?

Given a SatAM slot, and was pulled off the schedule when YTV went into overdrive promoting Nickelodeon Canada.
_L_Lawliet_

PostPosted: Tue Mar 09, 2010 1:20 pm Reply with quote
but why? they still have naruto and bleach 2 episodes back to back(reruns and fillers) but no bionix?...wait...come to think, i thinks they cancelled that too...
-->*goes into emo crner and cries*
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1