• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Ponyo Not Nominated for Golden Globes

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ZZalapski

PostPosted: Tue Dec 15, 2009 10:36 am Reply with quote
Haven't seen Cloudy... or The Princess and the Frog yet, but I can attest to that the other three are better than Ponyo. Of those three, if your definition of "Best Animated Feature Film" puts more weight on how the animation itself looks, I'd vote for Coraline. If you define it as "Best Film that happens to be animated", it's Fantastic Mr. Fox.

If, however, you take waterworks (warning: spoilers and strong language) into consideration, it'd be Up, and it wouldn't even be close.

Last edited by ZZalapski on Tue Dec 15, 2009 10:54 am; edited 1 time in total
Brand

PostPosted: Tue Dec 15, 2009 10:43 am Reply with quote
I could see everyone one of those titles being worthy expect for "Cloudy with a Chance of Meatballs". That is so lol whut?!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
neocloud9

PostPosted: Tue Dec 15, 2009 10:53 am Reply with quote
Wow, was Meatballs really that good? Confused
jsieczka

PostPosted: Tue Dec 15, 2009 11:01 am Reply with quote
brand wrote:
I could see everyone one of those titles being worthy expect for "Cloudy with a Chance of Meatballs". That is so lol whut?!

It does seem out of place Mary and Max should have been the 5th but I think the story was a year or two behind what the awards people are looking for.

With the exemption of Cloudy with a Chance of Meatballs the other nominated films were all great. Coraline was great but not excellent so I would say no to it. The Princess and the Frog had the best animation, Up had the best story, and Fantastic Mr. Fox had the best direction. Of the three I would go with Fantastic Mr. Fox, The Princess and the Frog and Up in that order.

To say that this year is a slam dunk for Pixar is way off the mark. 2009 may be one of the best years for animated cinema ever. Not on the submitted list you have First Squad: the Moment of Truth, Metropia, Brendan and The Secret of Kells (how this was not submitted is beyond me), Boogie, el Aceitoso, and Technotise: Edit & I.

Last edited by jsieczka on Tue Dec 15, 2009 11:04 am; edited 1 time in total
freshkazuki

PostPosted: Tue Dec 15, 2009 11:03 am Reply with quote
Coraline wins easily.
Rolando_jose

PostPosted: Tue Dec 15, 2009 11:34 am Reply with quote
My vote is for Coraline! Mr. Green
giascle

PostPosted: Tue Dec 15, 2009 11:52 am Reply with quote
Exactly as I expected, except for Cloudy, of course. I figured that just made the top 15 because people were funding it like crazy, but apparently they really like it. As for the others, I still haven't seen Princess an the Frog, but I don't see that winning anything beside the pretty animation award. Fantastic Mr. Fox was surprisingly great, I saw Rushmore and didn't like it at all, so I wasn't expecting much from a Wes Anderson film. Up just felt... lacking, somehow; it was the most emotional Pixar film by far, but the lighter parts just wasn't as fun as their others. I still don't see why people love Coraline so much, it also has excellent animation, but I didn't care for the story.
Zac
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Tue Dec 15, 2009 12:12 pm Reply with quote
neocloud9 wrote:

Yes.

It doesn't deserve to win but it was really funny and well-made and deserves the nom.

Fantastic Mr. Fox easily deserves the win, though.
firedragon54738

PostPosted: Tue Dec 15, 2009 12:14 pm Reply with quote
All crap all those movies are crap
darksharingan

PostPosted: Tue Dec 15, 2009 12:51 pm Reply with quote
firedragon54738 wrote:

What do you expect? They're children's-only movies.

I find it strange that dark animated films never get nominated anything, Akira, dubbed the greatest ANIMATED (not anime) film of all time would never get a nomination at the Academy Awards or Golden Globes if it was new, neither would Ghost In The Shell, Origins, Tokyp Godfathers, Princess Mononoke, nor Metropolis and they are films that are much much much better than Ponyo and everything that's being nominated now. If anything should be nominated for this year it should LaMB and Summer Wars, unless the world is full of chicken sh*ts who think the best stories are those comedy trash that purposely avoid dark themes instead of taking their subject matters seriously.
decepticons2

PostPosted: Tue Dec 15, 2009 1:16 pm Reply with quote
The secret of kells which i have only seen trailers for, looks more interesting then the movies on that list. It has a march North American release date so that probably excludes it from any awards. It is also being release by disney here.

I have seen every movie on the list and am actually hoping Princess and the frog wins. Just because 2D animation at disney I think hinges on this movies succes.

I know this site is dedicated to anime but if the editors here were to do an interview with the voters for these awards I would be extremely interested.

Outside of the basic rules what criteria do they look for when voting Animation, story telling, or something else.
Magamish

PostPosted: Tue Dec 15, 2009 1:19 pm Reply with quote
firedragon54738 wrote:

Actually....not really. at all. Jeez. o_o
Zac
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Tue Dec 15, 2009 1:22 pm Reply with quote
decepticons2 wrote:

I know this site is dedicated to anime but if the editors here were to do an interview with the voters for these awards I would be extremely interested.

Outside of the basic rules what criteria do they look for when voting Animation, story telling, or something else.

It's the Hollywood Foreign Press Association, which is.. well, kind of a celebrity kiss-ass group of journalists. They've been accused of being lightweight, nominating films more to get A-list celebrities on their red carpet rather than actual quality.

But they generally fall in line with the usual awards show darlings every year anyway, so the complaints are a little specious.
sharonlover

PostPosted: Tue Dec 15, 2009 1:27 pm Reply with quote
I'm disappointed in the fact that they chose Princess and the Frog over Ponya. PatF moved way to fast, the music just seemed thrown in there at points, Tianna didn't even get a personality until she turned into a frog, it missed the whole 'going back to animation' that Disney wanted. The colors weren't even very solid in the movie. I've heard that was the style Disney was going for; however, it just did not have a Disney feel to it at all.

I did however like the villian though his demise was a little anti-climatic. I think Ponya would have made a great replacement over PatF. But that's just my opinion.
neocloud9

PostPosted: Tue Dec 15, 2009 1:30 pm Reply with quote
Zac wrote:
neocloud9 wrote:

Yes.

It doesn't deserve to win but it was really funny and well-made and deserves the nom.

Fantastic Mr. Fox easily deserves the win, though.

Wow, that's surprising. I'd seen all the others - and loved them, especially the Princess and the Frog - but I'd given Meatballs a pass because it looked...well, it looked really silly to me. As do most non-Pixar CGI films nowadays. But if it's been given the Bertschy seal of approval, maybe I should give it another chance.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3