• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: Death Note Relight DVD 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
malvarez1

PostPosted: Sat Jan 30, 2010 5:19 pm Reply with quote
I might check this out one day.
nightjuan

PostPosted: Sat Jan 30, 2010 5:40 pm Reply with quote
Interesting. I don't suppose this will make the second half of Death Note as good as the first, even with the improved pacing at the expense of adding a few plotholes the basic story should remain the same, but it sounds like the overall experience should indeed be easier to digest.

Still, even after reading this review I will probably continue to wait for a sale or perhaps even a special 2-for-1 (yes, even if the first movie isn't worth much on its own) offer before buying either of the compilations.
Anton Chigurh

PostPosted: Sat Jan 30, 2010 11:33 pm Reply with quote
Funny, the review actually makes me want to check out the movie instead of steering me away. If the film does cover some of the holes from the TV show, I want to see it - not to mention, the new footage.
bleachigo66

PostPosted: Sun Jan 31, 2010 4:07 am Reply with quote
I loved both the "re-writes" but why is the 2nd one being reviewed now nearly 5 months after it was released?

Anyway I thought the new scenes were beautiful! But what wasn't mentioned in this review, was the new scenes where we saw what light did between his meetings with Takada and going back to task force headquarters, and spoiler[that Aizawa and matsuda found light at the end!]
Zac
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Sun Jan 31, 2010 5:15 am Reply with quote
bleachigo66 wrote:
I loved both the "re-writes" but why is the 2nd one being reviewed now nearly 5 months after it was released?

Because it is.

There aren't enough new anime releases in a given month to cover 30 days. So we're filling gaps and doing some older stuff we missed and covering other things.

I'd like to bury "this isn't new!" as an objection to a review being posted. We know that, you pointing out that it isn't a brand-new release is not helpful or constructive.
pachy_boy

PostPosted: Sun Jan 31, 2010 7:10 am Reply with quote
Quote:
(Why not write in the notebook: “…and shoot anyone else left alive before killing themselves” if not all the SPK members are known? The movie addresses this.)

Even without an explanation, I would already assume it's because if you don't know and can't write down someone's name, then you can't determine their fate, whether directly or indirectly. It wouldn't be able to work, and it could be the same reason as to why Light couldn't just write down a random person's name, instructing that person to just go and shoot L. At least that's what I reasoned.

When it comes to recap episodes, I just fast-forward through all the familiar scenes and then stop at the new bits, which saves me a lot of time.
bleachigo66

PostPosted: Sun Jan 31, 2010 1:36 pm Reply with quote
Zac wrote:
bleachigo66 wrote:

Because it is.

There aren't enough new anime releases in a given month to cover 30 days. So we're filling gaps and doing some older stuff we missed and covering other things.

I'd like to bury "this isn't new!" as an objection to a review being posted. We know that, you pointing out that it isn't a brand-new release is not helpful or constructive.

I was'nt trying to be critical, I was simply asking a question, and you answered it.

Quote:
pachy_boy wrote:
Quote:
(Why not write in the notebook: “…and shoot anyone else left alive before killing themselves” if not all the SPK members are known? The movie addresses this.)

Even without an explanation, I would already assume it's because if you don't know and can't write down someone's name, then you can't determine their fate, whether directly or indirectly. It wouldn't be able to work, and it could be the same reason as to why Light couldn't just write down a random person's name, instructing that person to just go and shoot L. At least that's what I reasoned.

When it comes to recap episodes, I just fast-forward through all the familiar scenes and then stop at the new bits, which saves me a lot of time.

"Whether the cause of the individual’s death is either a suicide or accident. If the death leads to the death of more than the intended, the person will simply die of a heart attack. This is to ensure that other lives are not influenced"

Quote from the rules of the note book! Very Happy
Quote:
JacobC
ANN Contributor

PostPosted: Sun Jan 31, 2010 2:51 pm Reply with quote
bleachigo66 wrote:

"Whether the cause of the individual’s death is either a suicide or accident. If the death leads to the death of more than the intended, the person will simply die of a heart attack. This is to ensure that other lives are not influenced"

Quote from the rules of the note book! Very Happy

Yeah I kinda realized that after writing the thing and watching the movie, sooooo the movie is incorrect. Again, it's a bit of a stretch in many ways, including Light's sudden attraction to stupid ideas that feed his ego, and the gory deaths in that added scene that, uh...they sorta violate the rule of "this death must be naturally possible." Anime dazed
Agent355

PostPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2010 12:49 am Reply with quote
A more evil, stupider Light? More L? An even crazier Mikami? Flashbacks to Wammy's House? And best of all, more of my favorite character, Matsuda?

This review actually wants to make me see the movie...just one question: If they kept Misa in, did they keep her song? Or did they leave her out altogether? Either way works for me Wink
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1