• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: Afterschool Charisma GN 1

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ikillchicken

PostPosted: Sun Jul 04, 2010 12:15 am Reply with quote
That is almost literally the exact plot of Clone High. Except they're completely and totally serious. Confused
driverstart

PostPosted: Sun Jul 04, 2010 7:30 am Reply with quote
Love this manga. I've been reading it since they first post it on Viz's Ikki site and it is the only one I'm reading anymore since I enjoy it so much. The art is great and the story is intriging. Yeah, there are a lot of characters I do not know about from the past, but it got me doing research on them and learning more about these historical figures. Kind of rare, a manga that requires me to learn and I don't mind it at all.
sepherest

PostPosted: Sun Jul 04, 2010 10:39 am Reply with quote
First Toriko, and now this is already out in english?!
I guess it's time to head down to Borders, I've barely been able to keep up with anything getting released lately...
malvarez1

PostPosted: Sun Jul 04, 2010 12:39 pm Reply with quote
I saw this in a bookstore near here, maybe I'll give it a read.
rabrek

PostPosted: Sun Jul 04, 2010 2:20 pm Reply with quote
driverstart wrote:
Love this manga. I've been reading it since they first post it on Viz's Ikki site

I keep forgetting about that site - thanks for the reminder. The review has me 80% convinced, but I'm so low on storage space that I hesitate to take on a new series sight unseen. Heading on over to Ikki right now...
Fabe

PostPosted: Sun Jul 04, 2010 6:08 pm Reply with quote
ikillchicken wrote:
That is almost literally the exact plot of Clone High. Except they're completely and totally serious. Confused

Yeah that pretty much my thoughts as well. Still it looks like it might be a good story even if these clones won't be rioting at a collage age level (did you see that swimming pool,they flipped the bitch).
corinthian

PostPosted: Sun Jul 04, 2010 7:29 pm Reply with quote
ikillchicken wrote:

That was my thought as well... Wesley.

I enjoyed this series overall. I particularly enjoyed Hitler, probably because his character was so incongruous to the original. But then, if you had to live with Hitler's name wouldn't you try to be the nicest person ever? There was a bit of sudden nudity that made me feel awkward about reading it at work, but other than that it was pretty intriguing.
The Mad Manga Massacre

PostPosted: Sun Jul 04, 2010 8:34 pm Reply with quote
driverstart wrote:
Love this manga. I've been reading it since they first post it on Viz's Ikki site and it is the only one I'm reading anymore since I enjoy it so much. The art is great and the story is intriging. Yeah, there are a lot of characters I do not know about from the past, but it got me doing research on them and learning more about these historical figures. Kind of rare, a manga that requires me to learn and I don't mind it at all.

Really? For me the opposite is true. I find that I'm forcing myself to continue reading Afterschool Charisma while I anticipate the other series on the site. I started losing interest with the *warning: spoilers ahead* introduction of the mysterious group attempting to assassinate the clones and the whole Dolly the Sheep cult plot line. It's not a bad series, but it just didn't continue to lure me in once it had me within its clutches.
Edit: Just for clarification, Kumiko Suekane only worked on the Blood+ Adagio manga, she did not work on any of the other adaptations.
Edit 2: Dolly's name corrected, thanks Agent355.

Last edited by The Mad Manga Massacre on Mon Jul 05, 2010 2:26 pm; edited 2 times in total
Agent355

PostPosted: Mon Jul 05, 2010 3:44 am Reply with quote
@The Mad Manga Massacre: It's "Dolly the Sheep," because Dolly was the first cloned mammal.

This is my favorite title on the Ikki site, too (I also like Children of the Sea, but for some reason since I read the printed version first, I haven't tried the online version yet.)

One thing that bugs me: the mangaka doesn't seem to try too hard to make the clones look like their "originals". Some are done on purpose-Napoleon's friends tell him that he seems too tall-but mostly they just seem like a stock manga design. And did all those famous female personalities really sport such large busts, or is the desire to please a male audience getting in the way of historical accuracy? Razz

I really love the *most* of the comic relief so far (the Freud variety not the newly introduced "we're comic relief characters, dang it!" variety), and this series is the only thing in the universe that will ever get me to utter the phrase "I like Hitler" (he's a great character-in this manga).

The intrigue is as poorly paced as the comedy-sometimes the manga is genuinely suspenseful, other times it's a bunch of talking heads in a shodowy room saying shadowy things that I think the mangaka wants us to care about. Very Happy

Oh, and that theory re:Shiro gave me food for thought. So far I've only ever thought of him as a normal, average, teenaged manga protagonist, but I suppose it shouldn't shock us if he turns out to be something more than that. I still doubt it...but I'm keeping a close eye on his dad!

Great review!
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1