• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Gundam W: Endless Waltz Anime to Spawn New Manga

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
yamiangie

PostPosted: Mon Jul 26, 2010 10:29 pm Reply with quote
As a shameless gundam wing fan girl i am very happy
rizuchan
Collector Extraordinaire

PostPosted: Mon Jul 26, 2010 10:38 pm Reply with quote
There's already been an Endless Waltz manga, though. Is this one gonna feature some additional scenes at least? I loved Endless Waltz, but it's been adapted to death already.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
doubleO7

PostPosted: Mon Jul 26, 2010 10:42 pm Reply with quote
rizuchan wrote:
There's already been an Endless Waltz manga, though. Is this one gonna feature some additional scenes at least? I loved Endless Waltz, but it's been adapted to death already.

Well, the article says "based on" not "adapted from", so I'm thinking its either a sequel or a side story. But I guess we'll just have to wait and see.

But either way more Gundam manga is awsome news, hopefully it'll see an English release eventually.
kel aka gandy

PostPosted: Mon Jul 26, 2010 10:49 pm Reply with quote
Based on what I've seen elsewhere online, it's not a manga, it's a novel and the super-short prequel is out. It's not even really "based on" Endless Waltz in particular, it's just that it takes place a number of years after it.
Egan Loo

PostPosted: Mon Jul 26, 2010 11:07 pm Reply with quote
kel aka gandy wrote:
Based on what I've seen elsewhere online, it's not a manga, it's a novel and the super-short prequel is out. It's not even really "based on" Endless Waltz in particular, it's just that it takes place a number of years after it.

It will be a manga. The current Gundam Ace issue does include a short text introduction, but it also announces that a manga will be made. That is why Tomofumi Ogasawara is involved.
Shadowvitesse62

PostPosted: Mon Jul 26, 2010 11:15 pm Reply with quote
As a Wing fan, I'm glad, but from what I've been reading, I'm expecting there to be a huge time jump and a new era which doesn't sit well with me, since you're creating half a manga series while taking aspects of the other half (characters, a Wing gem, ideas for Mobile Suits, a past setting to base your sequel on) from an already established series. It's one reason why I'm hesitant to look into things like Gundam Seed Astray or all the 00 manga variants. If it involves battles, I'm one who likes to watch the action rather than read it. But I'll give it the benefit of the doubt since I did quite enjoy Episode Zero.
Kruszer

PostPosted: Tue Jul 27, 2010 1:15 am Reply with quote
Holy Unnecessary zombification Batman!
wingzerosnuggles

PostPosted: Tue Jul 27, 2010 1:20 am Reply with quote
kel aka gandy wrote:
What you're thinking of is the Frozen Teardrop novel. Glory of the Defeated is a separate manga from the new novel.
Saturn

PostPosted: Tue Jul 27, 2010 1:34 am Reply with quote
Kruszer wrote:
Holy Unnecessary zombification Batman!

hahaha, I have to say I agree, even being a hopeless GW fangirl at heart.
britannicamoore

PostPosted: Tue Jul 27, 2010 4:49 am Reply with quote
Could a fan get an OVA or two out of this?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
qollocust

PostPosted: Tue Jul 27, 2010 9:12 am Reply with quote
I'm just happy to see Gundam Wing in the news again. I recently got the DVDs and started rewatching the show for the first time since it was taken off cartoon network.
darksharingan

PostPosted: Tue Jul 27, 2010 9:42 am Reply with quote
It's great to see Gundam Wing, the best of all the series, is finally expanding. While its remake, Gundam 00, was good, it still couldn't live up to Wing's standards.

I hope it changes mecha anime again in a good way like it did the first time around.
Shinn AsukaGSD

PostPosted: Tue Jul 27, 2010 4:55 pm Reply with quote
i hope god grants my wish and after the manga is done a anime series comes out of it or several ovas like gundam unicorn.please bring bak the godly pilots of all time please.
penguintruth

PostPosted: Tue Jul 27, 2010 4:58 pm Reply with quote
Didn't the end of Endless Waltz state spoiler[that nobody ever used mobile suits ever again?] Kind of rules out a sequel.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Strike Freedom Meister

PostPosted: Wed Jul 28, 2010 8:40 am Reply with quote
darksharingan wrote:
It's great to see Gundam Wing, the best of all the series, is finally expanding. While its remake, Gundam 00, was good, it still couldn't live up to Wing's standards.

I hope it changes mecha anime again in a good way like it did the first time around.

I have to strongly disagree about 00 not living up to Gundam Wing's standards. While I do respect & enjoy Gundam Wing, I always felt that they glossed over the politics of the After Colony timeline. Sure they hit the high points of rising leaders, assassinations, military takeovers, & influence of the Romefeller Foundation. However, the OZ revolution & dissolution of the Earth Sphere alliance was unbelievable to me. That would be like the a small special forces group taking over every military of the world. Highly unlikely.

00 on the other hand, descended deep into the politics of the Union, the AEU, & the HRL. It was a perfect mirror of our current geopolitics which gave 00 more realistic foundation. Instead of a world based upon an aristocratic rule in Wing, 00 had the real world basis of democratic states, dictatorships, monarchs, communism, religious institutions, international institutions such as the United Nations, & other real world governments. That realism of the politics set up a very strong first season. The second season was more character driven because the geopolitics of the first season no longer applied to an almost globally unified world. We still saw plenty of the politics from Katharon, state sponsored terrorism, the ability of government to "censure", "spin", or "stage" the benefit the Federation's policies and theme's.

Wing did a great job for it's time. In terms of Gundam Wing's story vs 00's story, 00 puts you deep in the heart of Post 9-11 politics. That setup and realism is what really it what puts 00 over the top vs Wing, in my book.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2