• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: 4 Arrested for 2007 Belgian 'Manga Murder' Case

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
vashfanatic

PostPosted: Mon Sep 20, 2010 11:15 am Reply with quote
Well huh. I can understand stupid teens making Death Notes to release their anger on those who've wronged them, but seriously? Gruesome dismemberment? Do these two crazy people realize that's not how Kira worked? Or are they trying to set up an insanity/blame-the-media defense ahead of time?
Stokky

PostPosted: Mon Sep 20, 2010 11:29 am Reply with quote
Quote:
The Belgian Federal Police arrested four men on Friday evening — three for murder, and one for "failing to provide assistance to a person in danger"

Since when is sitting and /popcorn'ing a crime?
Rednal

PostPosted: Mon Sep 20, 2010 11:43 am Reply with quote
I thought it was "Desu", not "Dess"...

Clearly a forgery by somebody attempting to implicate manga in order to advance a social/political agenda formed around the abolishment of unapproved entertainment! *Not actually serious*

But really, it's a shame how these cases happen and tend to get sensationalized. ^^; It'd be nice if, occasionally, we had good manga-inspired things to help with PR...
Tamaria

PostPosted: Mon Sep 20, 2010 11:43 am Reply with quote
Wait, I thought this was a was a bad prank by some med students? So it's an actual murder?

Quote:

Don't tempt me, please don't tempt me... Sorry.

Last edited by Tamaria on Mon Sep 20, 2010 11:48 am; edited 1 time in total
Akukame

PostPosted: Mon Sep 20, 2010 11:47 am Reply with quote
Stokky wrote:
Quote:
The Belgian Federal Police arrested four men on Friday evening — three for murder, and one for "failing to provide assistance to a person in danger"

This isn't America, many other countries have duty to rescue laws. Though with that said, it also depends on where you live. If you live in say... florida, like I do, theres also a law that requires you to act thats been in place for over 20 years.
Haachan

PostPosted: Mon Sep 20, 2010 11:48 am Reply with quote
Stokky wrote:
Quote:

It is a citizen's duty to prevent or stop wrongdoing whenever they have the chance. To allow a crime to continue without making any effort to stop it is the same as assisting the crime and therefore grounds for being punished by the legal system.
ninjaclown

PostPosted: Mon Sep 20, 2010 11:49 am Reply with quote
Akukame wrote:
Stokky wrote:
Quote:

This isn't America, many other countries have duty to rescue laws. Though with that said, it also depends on where you live. If you live in say... florida, like I do, theres also a law that requires you to act thats been in place for over 20 years.

Besides, wouldn't you at least try to do something if you see someone being killed?
KAtchan15

PostPosted: Mon Sep 20, 2010 12:04 pm Reply with quote
Ah I remember this. I just hope they found the right guys. Wasn't there another Death Note related crime, where they found body parts at a place nearby a Med school or something?

ninjaclown wrote:
Akukame wrote:
Stokky wrote:
Quote:

Besides, wouldn't you at least try to do something if you see someone being killed?

@ninjaclown Not if you don't want to get killed yourself. It’s easier to say “Oh yeah…I definitely would have helped at that or any given situation because that‘s the righteous thing to do.” rather than to admit that you would probably just soil and piss yourself then run away if you saw some random stranger being sawed off into pieces by whack jobs.

@Stokky I agree. However, I guess it depends on the situation.

@Akukame Bystander Effect. Who knows…maybe he wasn’t the only one who witnessed the incident, maybe there were other people too.

Haachan wrote:
It is a citizen's duty to prevent or stop wrongdoing whenever they have the chance. To allow a crime to continue without making any effort to stop it is the same as assisting the crime and therefore grounds for being punished by the legal system.

Valuing YOUR OWN LIFE is a crime? What kind of sick world do we live in? I would gladly obliterate this world into pieces if this is the kind of system we are obligated to abide by.

Last edited by KAtchan15 on Mon Sep 20, 2010 12:18 pm; edited 1 time in total
Emma Iveli

PostPosted: Mon Sep 20, 2010 12:14 pm Reply with quote
It's just like the last episode of Sinfeld, where the group did nothing to help that guy and because they didn't do anything (and in fact mocked him) they wound up in jail for it.
Great Rumbler

PostPosted: Mon Sep 20, 2010 12:20 pm Reply with quote
KAtchan15 wrote:
Ah I remember this. I just hope they found the right guys. Wasn't there another Death Note related crime, where they found body parts at a place nearby a Med school or something?

ninjaclown wrote:
Akukame wrote:
Stokky wrote:
Quote:

@ninjaclown Not if you don't want to get killed yourself. It’s easier to say “Oh yeah…I definitely would have helped at that or any given situation because that‘s the righteous thing to do.” rather than to admit that you would probably just soil and piss yourself then run away if you saw some random stranger being sawed off into pieces by whack jobs.

@Akukame Bystander Effect. Who knows…maybe he wasn’t the only one who witnessed the incident, maybe there were other people too.

Haachan wrote:

Valuing YOUR OWN LIFE is a crime? What kind of sick world do we live in? I would gladly obliterate this world into pieces if this is the kind of system we are obligated to abide by.

He's not being charged because he didn't risk his life to save the person who was murdered. He's being charged because he saw what happened and didn't report it.
Jaymie

PostPosted: Mon Sep 20, 2010 12:30 pm Reply with quote
"Watashi wa Kira dess" - they deserve life for that alone.
gartholamundi

PostPosted: Mon Sep 20, 2010 12:37 pm Reply with quote
Great Rumbler wrote:
He's not being charged because he didn't risk his life to save the person who was murdered. He's being charged because he saw what happened and didn't report it.

I think you might be right.

Gruesome stuff.

It sounds like all five people were in the same apartment when the fight broke out. Three attackers, one victim, one person trying not to get involved. It's not hard to imagine that the three attackers would have threatened the one sitting out not to divulge what had happened. If anyone had gotten arrested, the others would have known immediately who had turned them in.

Not making excuses here, just trying to think out what might have happened. Of course, with the arrests made it shouldn't be too long before more details are brought forward.
mecfazz

PostPosted: Mon Sep 20, 2010 1:07 pm Reply with quote
KAtchan15 wrote:

ninjaclown wrote:
Akukame wrote:
Stokky wrote:
Quote:

Haachan wrote:

You don't have to jump in and risk your own life but can report it or call cops or something and just because your too pu**y Shocked to help doesn't mean others wouldn't jump in and help. I know I would cause I've done something similar before. Just grab a bat or something if they are too big.

[Mod Edit: Please don't use text speak. Thanks. - Keonyn]
DarkFusion

PostPosted: Mon Sep 20, 2010 1:15 pm Reply with quote
Another reason some would hesitate to do anything to help is there is a chance that if you save said victim but he/she gets injured in the process they may sue you
Josh7289

PostPosted: Mon Sep 20, 2010 1:18 pm Reply with quote
I always wonder what the creators of works like Death Note feel when they see their work being horribly abused in these kinds of ways.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 1 of 5