• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The X Button - Show of Farce

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kyogissun

PostPosted: Wed Sep 22, 2010 12:52 am Reply with quote
So totally psyched for the release of DR2 and Rorona.

...Sadly it's happening RIGHT about the time I gotta start training for my new job. :<
Big Hed

PostPosted: Wed Sep 22, 2010 1:06 am Reply with quote
Looks like A1 was contracted for the Valkyria trailer. Not that I'm speculating based solely on that, but I wonder if there's potential for more anime...?

Todd wrote:
This is already 10,000 times better than High School of the Dead.

N-n-n-n-nuh-uh! D:

Colonel Sanders in Phantasy Star: what?
Emerje

PostPosted: Wed Sep 22, 2010 2:03 am Reply with quote
Picking up FFXIV Wednesday and Atelier Rorona next week. Figures that there aren't a whole lot of games I want to play lately, but when they do come they're practically on top of each other. Next week I can look forward to having withdrawals from one while I'm playing the other...

Strider, man, I wanted him to be in Tatsunoko vs Capcom in the worst way. Maybe he'll grace Tekken X Street Fighter or Marvel vs Capcom instead.

Project Draco makes me hope beyond hope that this game has controller support.

And all I really have to say about Asura's Wrath is, "Uuuaaah!!"

Emerje
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Pancakes_in_3D

PostPosted: Wed Sep 22, 2010 2:16 am Reply with quote
I hope they don't change the patterns in Radiant Silvergun for the xbl version. I can not wait for that game.

I remember reading about Cho Aniki in an old EGM, I never ever thought someone could even release the game here.

I agree that Harmful Park would be a good release. Wanted a copy till I saw the price, but the same could be said about RSG.

I wish I could play all of team ico's games on the ps3 right now. It's weird seeing Shadow of the Colossus run at a consistent frame-rate though.
Sheleigha

PostPosted: Wed Sep 22, 2010 3:10 am Reply with quote
I have FFXIV on preorder through Amazon and also preordered the Rorona set with the artbook and soundtrack through NISA store... Unfortunately yesterday, the 1,000 exclusive copies sold right out :/ Glad I got my order in weeks ago! Of course, there is still the Gamestop exclusive with the premium box and artbook for those who missed out.
Pokota3

PostPosted: Wed Sep 22, 2010 3:18 am Reply with quote
I see two small mistakes in the article:

1) the regular price for the PC version of Final Fantasy XIV Online is shown as 59.99, I have checked several stores and it is 49.99.

2) In your Idolm@ster 2 article, you mention the Jupiter idol group that is from Studio 961. Though the game is not coming out til early 2011, the last time there was a rival group in the game (961 was first introduced in the PSP versions I think, and were rivals then) it's a non-playable group in story mode, so you can't manage the guys.

Otherwise, keep up the good work!
Greed1914

PostPosted: Wed Sep 22, 2010 3:24 am Reply with quote
I'm still having trouble understanding why Capcom would want to reboot Devil May Cry. All they really needed to do was have regular Dante as the main character, and they haul off and redesign him.
Etrien

PostPosted: Wed Sep 22, 2010 3:44 am Reply with quote
Quote:
Next: a Dynasty-Warriors-style game set during the American Revolution, with sword-wielding Ben Franklin and Betsy Ross.

Why do the best games only exist as jokes? Sad
Penguin_Factory

PostPosted: Wed Sep 22, 2010 4:41 am Reply with quote
"dmc" or whatever the hell it's called is the first Devil May Cry game I've ever been interested in. I have no idea why people are complaining about nu-Dante's personality, the guy's always been an insufferable prick.

With the announcement of Valkyria Chronicles 3, the PSP now has enough games I want that I will be buying one. Only took 5 years.

The Last Guardian in 2012 (adjusted for Europe Delay) is sad. But an Ico/SoTC re-release is good. I am happy now. It will be particularly nice to see the latter running at more than 3 frames a second.

Quote:
Atelier Rorona: The Alchemist of Arland

I always thought the name of this game was really awkward since "Arland" is pronounced exactly the same as "Ireland" which is where I live.

And what does "Atelier Rorona" actually mean anyway?
Emerje

PostPosted: Wed Sep 22, 2010 4:41 am Reply with quote
Sheleigha wrote:
I have FFXIV on preorder through Amazon and also preordered the Rorona set with the artbook and soundtrack through NISA store... Unfortunately yesterday, the 1,000 exclusive copies sold right out :/ Glad I got my order in weeks ago! Of course, there is still the Gamestop exclusive with the premium box and artbook for those who missed out.

I considered very hard getting the NIS set for Rorona, but in the end I decided the extra cost plus shipping wasn't enough for the CD so I went with the Gamestop exclusive instead. Couldn't say the same for the FFXIV Collectors Edition bonuses, the chance at a second token in particular since I'm often worried that my old first run token is going to die on me any day now (especially as often as I used it through the Alpha and Beta tests). Too bad I wont actually have time to play FFXIV until Friday. Sad

Penguin_Factory wrote:
And what does "Atelier Rorona" actually mean anyway?

"Atelier" is just a fancy word for "workshop" or "studio". Typically the way these games are named is "Atelier" followed by the name of an important character in the game, though not always the main character as the case of the "Atelier Iris" series. In this case it seems to be short for the main character's name.

Emerje
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Moonsaber

PostPosted: Wed Sep 22, 2010 6:19 am Reply with quote
Penguin_Factory wrote:
With the announcement of Valkyria Chronicles 3, the PSP now has enough games I want that I will be buying one. Only took 5 years.

Valkyria 2 and Persona 3 Portable were the games that finally spurred me to pick up a PSP. Can't say I am actually happy that Valkyria 3 is PSP as well, except to say that 2 looks pretty good on the PSP. Wish they had put it on the PS3, but it beats not having it.

As far as P3P... it's a new incarnation of an addictive game. The original Persona is available on PSP too, not as good as P3 though. Wish they'd port P4 onto PS3. Wish they'd port Valk2/3 to it too...

I would like to note that having a PSP does make random short to long waits away from home more endurable. Including a very slow day at work, or lunches. That, and it does more than play games and looks decent, glad I have one, but until those games came out, it wouldn't have been worth it to me.
Shichimi

PostPosted: Wed Sep 22, 2010 7:05 am Reply with quote
Wow, bad news about NIS being in trouble; for my money the Disgaea franchise is as good as it gets for turn-based strategy. I hope things turn around for them, it would be a crying shame to see them go under.

It would be nice to actually be able to play it for myself, but the fact that GALGUN simply exists makes me a happy man. I love you, Japan. Don't ever change! Surprised

If you're playing Ninja Gaiden for the plot, you're doing it wrong, although in its defense I was always under the impression that it was intentionally going for a 'so cheesy it's kinda awesome' vibe. I mean seriously: giant nuclear turtles? WIN. I just hope that Team Ninja eventually get round to DOA 5.

I have the 3 Atelier Iris games, and thoroughly enjoyed them, so I'm definitely intrigued about this new 3D title.

Pancakes_in_3D wrote:
I remember reading about Cho Aniki in an old EGM, I never ever thought someone could even release the game here.

Feh. I'll see the amusing homoerotic tones of Cho Aniki and raise you with the "WTF is this sh!t?! Confused " of Trio the Punch: Never Forget Me.
PetrifiedJello

PostPosted: Wed Sep 22, 2010 7:39 am Reply with quote
Quote:
Then again, this Tokyo Game Show seemed a lot busier than recent ones. Read on to see why.

I read on but didn't see why. I apparently missed something within the list of the same stuff, different box art titles.

Quote:
Keiji Inafune, who basically called the Japanese game industry a moribund factory for lousy, unappealing crap.

He's still right. One of the scariest things in the list:
Quote:
The world's gone on far too long without another Panzer Dragoon game, and series creator Yukio Futasugi knows it. Why else would he make a game called Project Drago for Microsoft's motion-control Kinect device?

Have you seen Kinect in use? If you have, you'd be the first. Petting virtual tigers and limiting control to hands-waving input doesn't seem to be the greatest control scheme ever invented.

Even with the Harry Potter demo, the Kinect's limitations were clearly visible and I seriously doubt Panzer Dragoon will benefit from this incorporation as it would be awkward for a Dragon to stop flying so a rider can take aim and shoot an enemy.

Is it me who sees Tron Bonne looking identical to Betty Boop (sans the fishnet stockings)?
I know you young kids won't know who the hell Betty Boop is, but that's why Google exists.

Please don't link to articles requiring a form of "payment". The link makes it appear ANN is trying to push NYTimes subscriber growth, even if this cost is nothing more than an email address.

Regarding X Button, may I ask why WiiWare titles aren't covered?
Shenl742

PostPosted: Wed Sep 22, 2010 7:54 am Reply with quote
Inafune says Japan only makes crap, yet that theory seems to be automatically nulled by the the fact that Megaman Legends 3 is possibly in the works...
prime_pm

PostPosted: Wed Sep 22, 2010 8:15 am Reply with quote
My biggest problem with the new Dante look in this DMC reboot is...well, look at him! He's a junkie!

It's not about him being goth or young or rebellious, according to what every editor puts into their articles. It that he looks like a drugged-up dropout listening to the Black Brigade. That's not the face of youth, or even rebellion; that's the face of a meth addiction.

Although, maybe that will come into play in the story itself. Maybe Dante has become a druggie as a means of "rebelling" or whatever you wanna call that. And maybe, throughout the story, he learns to overcome his addiction and clean himself up. Hopefully.

Still in meh with the Kinect. Meth would be more fun.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3