• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Jason Thompson's House of 1000 Manga - Maniac Road

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
prime_pm

PostPosted: Thu Sep 23, 2010 2:50 pm Reply with quote
Picked this up years ago along with its sequel. Funny enough to read, I felt. Been a while.
Vulcannis

PostPosted: Thu Sep 23, 2010 3:15 pm Reply with quote
As a wargamer, owner of way too many AD&D sourcebooks, military model lover and ex-model railroader (HO! And all still packed away).... it was kind of cool reading this. I guess I'm officially an ubernerd.

I did try paintball once, but it wasn't as fun as I imagined. Maybe because I was too out of shape due to aforementioned hobbies. Ah well, at least I don't smell. Razz
Wooga

PostPosted: Thu Sep 23, 2010 3:20 pm Reply with quote
I liked Pretty Maniacs, especially the parrt where they decide to draw their own manga. The regular Art club members think they're 'gross' and 'wierd' for drawing manga style. What can I say, it kind of reminded me of high school..
DoktorZetsubou

PostPosted: Thu Sep 23, 2010 3:56 pm Reply with quote
I remember having owned the first volume of this... hell, why'd I get rid of that? Aurgh.
TheRoyalFamily

PostPosted: Thu Sep 23, 2010 7:14 pm Reply with quote
One has to wonder why they take financial and/or business advice from and obsessed homeless guy...
Fronzel

PostPosted: Thu Sep 23, 2010 7:28 pm Reply with quote
I hated this series. It's much too much of an otaku apologetic, like Otaku no Video.

I cringed at things like Takezou blaming a random otaku's rudeness to Aoba on her or saying that otaku searching for (often artificially) rare objects is noble.

To contrast, Genshiken examined and at times defended otaku (and with reason rather than mere enthusiasm), but it also acknowledged their stereotypical shortcomings.

Last edited by Fronzel on Thu Sep 23, 2010 8:12 pm; edited 1 time in total
Stormwaltz

PostPosted: Thu Sep 23, 2010 8:03 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Battleships are so important to Kurihashi that the three sisters, Haruna, Isuzu and Aoba, are named after battleships.

Actually, Haruna was a battlecruiser, Aoba a heavy cruiser, and Isuzu a light cruiser. The oldest sister is named after the largest ship, and the youngest is named after the smallest ship.

I'm not a model geek, but I am a wargame and Pacific War geek....
wandering-dreamer

PostPosted: Thu Sep 23, 2010 8:26 pm Reply with quote
How appropriate that this comes out right after the announcement about Genshiken II, guess I should track this down to read while waiting for Genshiken.
Fronzel

PostPosted: Thu Sep 23, 2010 8:47 pm Reply with quote
Stormwaltz wrote:
Haruna was a battlecruiser, Aoba a heavy cruiser, and Isuzu a light cruiser. The oldest sister is named after the largest ship, and the youngest is named after the smallest ship.

What would he have done if he had more kids?

A destroyer? A submarine? A rowboat?
Teriyaki Terrier

PostPosted: Thu Sep 23, 2010 10:28 pm Reply with quote
TheRoyalFamily wrote:
One has to wonder why they take financial and/or business advice from and obsessed homeless guy...

In reality, that would probably never ever happen. But since it's a manga, irrational methods can be used.

If I thought about the rationality of manga, I probably wouldn't enjoy as much anime and manga as I do.

Why did Gon aunt's give him permission to go participate in the Hunter Exam knowing full well he would be injured in the process? It's pretty clear that the Aunt must have known that given the nature of said exam.

There is a ton of irrational manga moments and anime moments, but I can't imagine it being really interesting to make a series entirely original.
Fronzel

PostPosted: Thu Sep 23, 2010 11:10 pm Reply with quote
Teriyaki Terrier wrote:
Why did Gon aunt's give him permission to go participate in the Hunter Exam knowing full well he would be injured in the process? It's pretty clear that the Aunt must have known that given the nature of said exam.

That's not a very good comparison. Maniac Road is about a pretty realistic situation: a small shop in a real location is doing badly and risks shut down. Hunter X Hunter takes place on a fantasy world filled with unreal beasts and eventually involves superpowers for everybody on the main cast.
Teriyaki Terrier

PostPosted: Thu Sep 23, 2010 11:35 pm Reply with quote
Fronzel wrote:
Teriyaki Terrier wrote:

That's not a very good comparison. Maniac Road is about a pretty realistic situation: a small shop in a real location is doing badly and risks shut down. Hunter X Hunter takes place on a fantasy world filled with unreal beasts and eventually involves superpowers for everybody on the main cast.

Frankly, I am not going to sugar coat it, there are so many comparisons, I am not even sure where to begin.

But think about it. The first chapter deals with the main character meeting the rest of the cast and helping them with their store. I agree that this pretty realistic, but to let him take control of the shop is a bit farfetched.

Think about it, they just met the guy and for all they know at that point, he could have been criminal with a violent history.

Anyway, I did some research via good ole Wikipedia and I will say that while Genshiken and Maniac Road are similar in some aspects, I personally think Genshiken is much better. Yes, the first chapter (based off the review) sounds nice, but after conducting some research, Maniac Road does lose some of it's steam later on.

It's not a bad series, but it was far too otaku based. While Genshiken did have some otaku theme's, the series also had variety and wasn't all just about one theme for the entirety of the series.
Moonsaber

PostPosted: Fri Sep 24, 2010 2:37 pm Reply with quote
Vulcannis wrote:
As a wargamer, owner of way too many AD&D sourcebooks, military model lover and ex-model railroader (HO! And all still packed away).... it was kind of cool reading this. I guess I'm officially an ubernerd.

I did try paintball once, but it wasn't as fun as I imagined. Maybe because I was too out of shape due to aforementioned hobbies. Ah well, at least I don't smell. Razz

I think I've tried every nerdy hobby known, this manga sounds like the mothership calling me home. Not sure how I missed it. I missed when the American release was.

Also an RPGer (various D&D, Morrow Project, Runequest, White Wolf, ect), former wargamer (still have my AH games like Panzerblitz), military modeller (and vet.. but the modelling came first), and I still have a good bit of my N-Scale setup.

Geek ahoy?
ptolemy18
Manga Reviewer/Creator/Taster

PostPosted: Sat Sep 25, 2010 2:56 pm Reply with quote
Fronzel wrote:
I hated this series. It's much too much of an otaku apologetic, like Otaku no Video.

I cringed at things like Takezou blaming a random otaku's rudeness to Aoba on her or saying that otaku searching for (often artificially) rare objects is noble.

To contrast, Genshiken examined and at times defended otaku (and with reason rather than mere enthusiasm), but it also acknowledged their stereotypical shortcomings.

Actually, I think Otaku no Video is a lot more critical of Otaku (and/or so extreme in its love that it seems to be winking at the viewer) than Maniac Road. Maniac Road is just kind of overly earnest and propagandistic, but Otaku no Video has those live-action interviews with fans which seem to be poking fun at them at the same time that they glorify them. (And certainly, the anime-within-an-anime in Otaku no Video is obviously a self-parody.) I actually know some anime fans who don't like Otaku no Video because they think it's too insulting to fandom.

The thing I don't like about Genshiken, compared to Otaku no Video, is that Genshiken is so *mellow*. I do like the hyperactive earnest "URRRYYYYYYYYYYYAAAAA" attitude towards fandom sometimes. If Maniac Road had gone even more in this direction, instead of keeping one foot grounded in level-headed reality, it might have been more entertaining.

I just thought of another way in which the title of "Maniac Road" shows how oldschool it is: the word "Road" is probably a reference to "Fanroad," the legendary ancient proto-otaku magazine from the 1980s.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1