• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The X Button - Skull-O-Mania

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DJcream

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2012 2:49 am Reply with quote
I've crossed paths with Skullgirls creator Mike Z a number of times in Guilty Gear and MvC2 tournaments in the distant past. The crazy thing about Skullgirls is that I've witnessed its evolution starting with Mike showing off an incredibly barebones pre-alpha build during Evo 2010. Running off a simple laptop and lacking any hint of health bars and super guages (all of which were just colored numbers at the top of the screen), Mike was demonstrating some of the crazy combos Filia (who was the only character) can do at the time. Despite strategically camping around the Blazblue and Melty Blood setups, the reception to pre-alpha Skullgirls was minimal.

Another later that year, I got to flip through one of Mike's books containing pre-production character designs. I distinctively remember seeing Painwheel but I also saw some male art as well. Since the beginning, Mike wanted to create a bigger cast but due to time deadlines, a lot of ideas were left on the cutting room floor.

Since then, I've gotten to try out the game a number of times during it's beta builds. I like how Mike and Tushar were engaging with the community any time they brought the game to anime/fighting game events. I believe because of that, they built a close relationship with the growing amount of players and responded well with all that feedback.
Soundmonkey44

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2012 7:38 am Reply with quote
I downloaded Skull Girls this past Sunday, found it to be pretty enjoyable overall. Still playing through it with the differant characters though.

Also, oh no D3:Absence Of Detention out already, and me without a VITA, oh well...just another item to add to my list of things to buy this year. Razz
configspace

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2012 7:58 am Reply with quote
Quote:
Unfortunately, Skullgirls also delivers an overdose of pandering.

Correction: Fortunately Skullgirls also delivers an overdose of pandering. Laughing
Skullgirls makes up for the noticeable dearth of fanservice right now in the fighting industry. Besides, as I've mentioned before it can't be "pandering" if the creators also want it, and they certainly do (all of the artists/contractors also create T&A works on their own). BTW the developers also take weekly fan art, and they communicate regularly on http://revergelabs.com/ This is also one of the few western games that already has a huge following in Japan among those fighting enthusiasts--as opposed to say, the Mortal Kombat
franchise or Killer Instinct--before its release, as well as large fan art base on pixiv (search "skullgirls" and スカルガールズ and login to get the good stuff)

Anyways, about the fighting system, I'm surprised the article didn't mention the anti-infinite system, where people can get out after a couple cycles, so that if you want to have long combos, you have to mix it up.

Re: CHERRY TREE HIGH COMEDY CLUB, it's not something I'm personally interested in, but I'm keeping an eye out for Nyu Media, for more doujinshi games in the future, like a couple of their shmups and Fighting Fairy
Monster in a box

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2012 8:40 am Reply with quote
configspace wrote:
girls also delivers an overdose of pandering. Laughing

It's almost as though they're personally trying to make up for the soft-ban on panty shots in the last 10 years or so. I can appreciate that.
thenix

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2012 8:49 am Reply with quote
Not a fan of fighting games, especially playing a bunch of them. I'm great at smash bros and I don't think I'm really going to play more. I guess you need friends to play those games against Razz

Cherry Hill Comedy club looks fun but I don't know if I'll get it because it might get boring fast. Well at the price, and for supporting the producers of these awesome games I might

I need to play Disguia 2 before I play 3. The first game was fun although overwhelming how deep it could be.
kakitamike

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2012 8:53 am Reply with quote
I've put more hours into skullgirls than any of capcom's latest efforts, and about as much as i have into blazblue. It's probably the best bang for your buck if you love a well built fighting game.

I don't feel like the fanservice is worse than any other fighting game. It may have more of it, but the bar isn't any higher(or lower, depending on your stance).

The lack of an input list is really more annoying than I thought it would be. I never realized how much I use one until I don't have one.

One thing I wish a tutorial would address is button timing. Every time some combo list eventually gets above 3 inputs, I never get how long or little i'm supposed to wait between pressing buttons to continue the chain.

I like fighting games, never said I was good at them.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
belvadeer

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2012 10:12 am Reply with quote
Quote:
But WHO likes Dimitri?

He's the most popular male character in the Darkstalkers franchise, Todd. Plus, who you ask? Anyone who wants to see his naked demon form, duh! Dimitri is fanservicey too! Teaming him up with Dante though, now that is interesting. X3

In any case, Project X Zone looks like another great crossover idea. I'm not holding out any false hope of it being localized, but if our three branches of Namco, Capcom and Sega could work together and not make a big deal out of the "Who gets the profits!?" game, I'd love to see it happen. It's got X and Zero in there for one thing, and I can't imagine what the fans, who find this very fact ironic, are saying.

I'm surprised you said Namco x Capcom was a pushover. There are some tougher battles from the middle point on toward the final chapter, especially if you have no idea how to coordinate your teams.

Trails of Nayuta: Yet another Kiseki game, man Falcom's on fire! It is strange seeing a Kiseki title that looks like a new Ys series though. Meanwhile, we're still waiting on SC over here. I wonder what year it will be when we get Zero no Kiseki (I'll probably be in my 40s by then). A little behind? Try very behind.

Last edited by belvadeer on Sun May 06, 2012 4:45 pm; edited 3 times in total
RyanSaotome

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2012 10:32 am Reply with quote
kakitamike wrote:
I've put more hours into skullgirls than any of capcom's latest efforts, and about as much as i have into blazblue. It's probably the best bang for your buck if you love a well built fighting game.

How is its single player? I can't imagine putting as much time into a fighter as Blazblue, since the most recent version took me over 60 hours to complete the single player stuff... and I don't play online so thats really what matters to me.
kakitamike

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2012 1:55 pm Reply with quote
Single player wise, it's a pretty thin time sink, unless you just want to play if for the challenge. The A.I. is particularly rough. The only unlocks are alternate costume colors and a few story mode characters as far as I've been able to tell.

I should say i've put as much VS time in as Blazblue.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Zin5ki

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2012 3:08 pm Reply with quote
configspace wrote:
…as well as large fan art base on pixiv (search "skullgirls" and スカルガールズ and login to get the good stuff)

Nudge nudge, wink wink, as one might utter on occasions such as this.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Lynx Amali

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2012 3:44 pm Reply with quote
Minor correction:

New Class Of Heroes: Chrono Academy is for the PSP, not the VITA.

Quote:
Yes, Sanger. Not Excellen or Lamia or any other marketable woman from Super Robot Wars. I'm sure one will be added later.

Implying that won't be Ratsel. Implying it won't be Ratsel so we can show other characters how real men ride each other.

Also; So I can have Trom- OVERRIDE!
Paul Soth

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2012 4:21 pm Reply with quote
DJcream wrote:
I've crossed paths with Skullgirls creator Mike Z a number of times in Guilty Gear and MvC2 tournaments in the distant past. The crazy thing about Skullgirls is that I've witnessed its evolution starting with Mike showing off an incredibly barebones pre-alpha build during Evo 2010. Running off a simple laptop and lacking any hint of health bars and super guages (all of which were just colored numbers at the top of the screen), Mike was demonstrating some of the crazy combos Filia (who was the only character) can do at the time. Despite strategically camping around the Blazblue and Melty Blood setups, the reception to pre-alpha Skullgirls was minimal.

Yeah, same thing happened with me at one of the previous Seasons Beatings tournaments some time back. I was pretty impressed by the gameplay systems and details that he was aiming for to the point that I was going up to others from the local fighter scene exclaiming "Have you seen this game that this guy is working on in the back?"

It really does blow my mind to see it go so far, with support from Konami no less.

And hey, in Cherry Hill you're only trying to get the girls to do stand-up, not sleep with them. I think.
CrownKlown

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2012 4:59 pm Reply with quote
Id love to see the crossover project but I doubt we will see it, I really want that rpg wth all the anime characters here that came out last year but alas we cant get it.

On Lost Planet though, 2 is really underrated. Yes its not as good as one, in part because there is no real plot. But its a really fun multi player game that you can kill many hours with, much like a left 4 dead. I look forward to 3, but would rather get 3 of Mega Man Legends.
loempiavreter

PostPosted: Sat Apr 21, 2012 7:27 am Reply with quote
BOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

HOTD4 deserves more acknowledgement! My favorite game in ages, and I want more lightgun titles. This title deserves support, only then can we get a port of Virtua Cop 3 as well (and the new Ghost Squad sequel, Operation G.H.O.S.T.) Sad

But one sentence for HOTD4, everyone who is just skimming the article who miss it! Not even a picture... BOOOOOOOOOOOOOO
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1